Sunday, March 02, 2014
the oscars

By  the time most of you read this----the Oscars will have happened.  And oddly enough, they actually happen about five minutes from where I live, up in the Hollywood Hills......
Here is who I think will win....or.....who I want to win, in 5 categories.

BEST ACTRESS
I think Cate Blanchett is a shoe-in. Her performance was quite extraordinary.....although, for me, the film itself was problematic. I preferred Tennessee Williams "Streetcar Named Desire", and Woody Allen should have given him screen credit....but, barring that....I don't think there is any doubt she will win.
Who did I want to win?
Dame Judi!  Yes!
For "PHILOMENA"
A subtle un-showy truthful performance.
Moving in every way.
Less IS really More!

BEST ACTOR
Another shoe-in.  His was a great performance, and in an important and meaningful film. 
He deserves to win, and I think he will win.
I love Chiwetel Ejiofor--an incredibly talented actor---
"12 YEARS A SLAVE"
I would be thrilled if he won.....but.....I think McConaughey has the edge.....even over Bruce Dern, who has deserved an Oscar for decades!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Lupita Nyongo!
Wow!
What a debut!
What she had to do in "12 YEARS A SLAVE"
was so very hard and she was absolute perfection.
I love Jennifer Lawrence and I think she is a phenomenal talent.....and it's possible she will walk away with her second Oscar.....
But.....for me, Lupita has the edge!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jared Leto.
A brilliant performance---not an untruthful moment.
"DALLAS BUYERS CLUB"
He broke your heart in the best way.
A sensitive deep feeling performance.

BEST PICTURE
I have no idea what picture will win this award.
I want "12 YEARS A SLAVE" to win....and it did win at the Independent Spirit Awards last night.....I congratulate them and hope and pray they will win, tonight.
"GRAVITY" may take this, or "AMERICAN HUSTLE"
or who knows.
My very favorite was "PHILOMENA",
but I don't believe it has a chance....
"12 YEARS A SLAVE" is an important film and a true labor of love.
Everyone should see this film.

Now, on with the show.......



More To Come.........  



 







17 Comments:
had this to say:

well, they haven't happened yet - but tonight I will be watching. I have not seen even one of these movies, so I will enjoy seeing clips of them and deciding which ones I really must see later.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 at 10:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I was just thinking of you! I can't wait to see how things turn out and while I've made a few guesses on the winners, this year I think it is unpredictable. There is a lot of greatness competing!

Can't wait to see who wins!

Sunday, March 2, 2014 at 4:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Look at you! 100% correct! I hope you put money on all those predictions.

Best picture or not, I'll never watch 12 Years a Slave. I know it's an "important" film and all but I cannot stand torture scenes, and I've been told that there are a few too many in this one. Congrats to the cast and all but this isn't for me, thanks.

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 4:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You pretty much nailed it though like you I was hoping for Judi Dench, my favorite actress.
I have seen a few of these and will go for more though will probably pass on some of the dysfunctional ones.
Enjoyed Ellen's less mean than normal fun.

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 5:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi you are sensational! I think it is the professional in you – you can judge the performances so well. I enjoyed the show and looking at the gorgeous (and not so gorgeous) gowns. I did shed a tear or two at some of the acceptance speeches. I thought Ellen was funny and down to earth – loved that “selfie” with such a talented group around her. I wish Philomena had won something as I really cared for this film. I did not know anything about Gravity and now will try to see it. Of course since I read the reprinted from the original book 12 Years a Slave in New Orleans last year I was hoping it would win, and it did. I am always surprised at the number of movie on the Holocaust against the numbers of the movie on slavery. (Of course slavery is still happening – I was just reading an article about children taken as slaves in India to work on tea plantations, and others in Congo to work in chocolate bean farms) I hope you enjoyed the Oscars – I know I did.

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 10:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well I've only seen Gravity out of the ones mentioned and I've never been so bored in my whole life. Okay I was watching it on a small screen on the plane but it just didn't hold my attention at all. My daughters hated it too. Obviously I'm missing something, but I like a film with real dialogue.

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 1:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

they were pretty excellent Oscars! I enjoyed it all and no big surprises . It seems impossible that all the awards are over now :o)

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 1:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, I totally agree with Vagabonde, you are sensational!
You can judge the performances so well and your reviews are always just great!
Did you believe that this year I forgot to turn on the TNT to see the Oscar?
I liked that Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto winn too!
There is a lot of good movies to put on my list.
Hope you have a nice week ahead. :)

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 2:01:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Wow, you should have put money on those predictions! What a great show, great movies and acting.

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 7:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You're good! You got all of them, didn't you? I thought Philomena deserved some, too.

Monday, March 3, 2014 at 10:27:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I could not agree more, also I enjoyed the show, faults and all, loved Ellen and the vibe in the 'room' was such joy.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 10:18:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Of course you are sensational.
I think they should do away with the other judges and just have you. We are so lucky to have you:)
I must investigate the Woody Allen film. Streetcar left an indelible impression on me way back when.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 2:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I only saw a bit of the Oscars, but missed all of the above except for Lupita's win. So luminous - I loved that she won. I forgot to record it when I was out of town - I think it's so awesome that you are so close to everything there! Can you hear the applause?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 5:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You called it perfectly! I haven't seen them yet -- we were traveling, but my friend made a copy for me. (I wanted Judi, too, but happy with Cate.)

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 7:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well, I went and fell asleep and missed the Oscars. I do wish I could go through your movies before the awards every year to make sure I've seen the best of them. Your reviews are always so right on and you do know your Hollywood films. Keep the suggestions coming. My Netflix queue in looking dull.

Hugs and much love from me to you, my friend. Hope all's well with you. ♥

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 10:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well, you sure nailed who won. I watched it and enjoyed it even though I haven't seen a single film or performance. It was about creativity, promotion and networking and very relatable to anyone in the arts. I thought Ellen made it almost cozy.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 2:27:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You know how I LOVE the Oscars but I wasn't able to watch because I don't get ABC. I don't even know who all won yet, except for best picture. I agree with all the points you made.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 9:54:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.