Sunday, March 09, 2014
oscar round-up

This is exactly how I felt when they opened the envelope and announced that "12 YEARS A SLAVE" had won the Oscar for Best Picture!
That is the Director, Steve McQueen, who jumped up and down with genuine unabashed exuberant excitement...and with the company standing behind him---everyone so moved and deeply deeply thrilled.
I was, too. I hoped and prayed this film would win because it deserved to win.

I know I'm a little late getting to this post, but some of my health issues have kept me from it.....
So forgive this now, 'old news'.
I loved the whole evening!
I laughed out loud and I cried out loud---a perfect kind of show, as far as I'm concerned.


I thought Ellen was just terrific!  She brought a kind of gemutlich(?) family feeling to the whole night.
She made the audience so very comfortable and in turn made me comfortable and made me feel really included in this unusual-for-the Oscars feeling of family.
Not an easy thing to do---I mean to make this nervous hungry competitive group feel like one big family.

As to the Awards themselves----the four Acting Awards were all as I thought they would be.
And that thrilled me, too.
In order of appearance:
Jared Leto, Best supporting Actor for "THE DALLAS BUYERS CLUB"...Again, I was thrilled!!!
He Soooo deserved this, and his speech was very moving.
See this film, please.
Lupita Nyong'o.....Oh, her win for Best Supporting Actress in "12 YEARS A SLAVE" made me Whoop with Joy!!! And her speech was so eloquent....and very very moving, too.....
Another film to be sure to see.....
It's not easy, but then, neither was slavery.
Cate Blanchett....She won Best Actress for her role in "BLUE JASMINE".....She is a brilliantly talented actress and was pretty much a 'lock' from the get-go. I'm happy for her, but, in truth, I wanted Judi Dench to come away with this Oscar---I knew she wouldn't, but.....she was my choice.
I had problems with the 'Blue Jasmine'.....but I had no problem with "PHILOMENA".......Do go see this very moving film if you haven't already. Judi Dench is a World Treasure!
Matthew McConaughey won Best Actor for "THE DALLAS BUYERS CLUB".....another 'lock' almost from the starting gate.  I thought he was truly wonderful in every way. And it seems the Academy Membership thought so too.....!

There were lots of things I liked about this show.....the different sets---all those Oscars, (You can see them in that first picture of Ellen)....and the Blanket of Red Flowers.....
They could be Roses or they could be Poppy's---in Honor of "THE WIZARD OF OZ".  All I know is---they were Beautiful!! And just to the left of the flowers there were the "lights".....
Harking back to the early days of film....I loved that!  And something else that just knocked me out was the music used to play people on and off the stage----ALL, Academy Award winners from the past----really great great film music.....
And speaking of music.......
Darlene Love, spontaneously bursting into song ("His Eye Is On The Sparrow") when "20 FEET FROM STARDOM" won for Best Documentary....This is a terrific film about Back-Up singers who can and did sing the hell out of songs, but were basically unknown, though some of them hoped to have their own careers---Luther Vandross was a Back-Up singer who broke out, as we all know, and became a huge star.....If you can find this film on Netflix or any of the other many ways one can see movies now---don't miss it. And for anyone who doesn't know who Darlene Love is---do Google her!
Her breaking into song on the Oscars was a very moving and uplifting  Highlight, for me!
And then there was Pink, who knocked it out of the park when she sang 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' in the tribute section to Judy Garland and 'The Wizard of Oz'. She was perfection---singing in her own style, but honoring the song and Judy, with all the true and real emotion she brought to the song.
It was FABULOUS!!!
And the third musical Highlight for me was the 'Divine Miss M' singing one of her signature songs ('The Wind Beneath My Wings') after the In Memoriam section. Bette Midler is a real 'pro', and to watch her build this song into an anthem was truly glorious. The audience thought so too!

More Highlights.......
Seeing Sidney Poitier, a true hero in the fight for recognition of people of color as real human beings---our first Black Sex Symbol----the winner of the first "Best Actor" Award for a man of color----I was moved and touched and I was a little bit saddened by how frail he is now----A reminder of how frail I am now, too.....Sidney is from my time, and me, from his.....And so it was another reminder of all the glorious times past when we were all so young and beautiful, and a mirror on the truth of how old we all are now. A painful reality. 
And then, he spoke.
 And he was as eloquent and beautiful as ever....
What a man!
And how wonderful that he was on the arm of Angelina Jolie---a Heroine Of Our Times for ALL that she does for those in the world who are in such need.....
Her caring for Sidney----knowing what a pioneer he has been in the fight for equality, on and off the screen.....
Well....this moved me deeply, too. 
And then....
There was "THE PIZZA"!!!!
A brilliant stroke, in my opinion.
People are hungry, having been on 'the red carpet' forever, and then there will be more than three hours before they will get a morsel of food....
It was fun, and the Nominees and their families LOVED it! 
And they all gobbled it up, like hungry little piglets....
There's lots more....but, these were my Highlights.

Congratulations to all!!!
And especially to Ellen, who I thought was Superb!

This is probably the hardest job in Show Business
I hope the Academy uses her great gifts for this incredibly impossible gig, every year from now on!


More To Come......




Note:  Please forgive me for not getting around to visiting your blogs.....getting this post together took all the energy I have, right now.....but I will try to visit when I can....Thanks so much for understanding.....


 

 




 









16 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi, you said it all for me also. I too wanted Judi Dench to win but not to be. Otherwise, it was a delightful evening with few surprises but lots of being happy.
The pizza was a fun bit and what an amazing night for that delivery boy.

Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 2:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It was such a great evening and you called it spot on! I could never be a betting woman when it comes to winners. I get so emotionally attached to characters and their performance. Judi Dench was incredible in Philomena and so was Meryl Streep in August Osage County but many people in my workplace were convinced it was to be Cate Blanchett. My picks for many other categories were equally wrong but I still loved the show and Ellen - she was fantastic!

Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 5:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well these days. Thinking of you and hoping things will calm down and you can get on top of it.

You know, I still haven't seen the Oscars. My friend recorded them on DVD while I was gone and gave it to me. When I got home and put it in, I think it is blank. Hopefully she hasn't dumped the telecast. It sounds like it was a good year this time and I always enjoy it. I loved your wrap-up!

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 5:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm sorry you are unwell, Naomi - I hope this finds you with more energy today.

I only got to see a bit of the Oscars, but did see the pizza delivery. So funny and Brad Pitt pitched right in. :) I loved the selfie, too.

It's lovely to read about the Oscars from your perspective. I haven't seen all the films, but will. Very soon.

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 6:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great post Naomi!
Love always to read your reviews and the photos you post are wonderful!
So many good films I just add on my list.
Thanks!
Hope you have a lovely week ahead.

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 7:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved the Oscars too Naomi, and thought everyone was great and deserving winners..

you are always forgiven! :o)

I need to be forgiven too. finally one doctor is saying i'm in the throws of a nervous breakdown.. well duh. to say my concentration sucks puts it mild! but I still love your blog!

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 1:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I do hope that you will soon be good as new and back to posting more often. I love your posts; especially those about Hollywood and movies. It is so interesting to get the word from an insider...LOL

Did I tell you that my daughters went to summer camp with Jared Leto? He and my older girl were 14 that summer.

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 9:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I hope you improve soon! Thank you for your post and always insightful commentary. :)

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 at 8:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I never get to see the Oscars as it's the middle of the night here when they're on. Although, the reporters are usually still grabbing people on their way into the after-parties during the morning news.

I hope you are feeling better already! Take care of yourself.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 1:08:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I am so glad it was such a wonderful evening for you.
And what better than to see it all from the comfort of your lovely sitting room.
I'm green with envy because it is my idea of a perfect night in.
And so much useful information. I look forward to seeing - at least some of them.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 5:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It's so good to get your eyes and ears here. As you know I am a big fan of the Academy Awards and also love those moving moments but wasn't able to watch this year. I can't believe the great pictures you got ...the guy in mid air...Wow! You called it all...and I'm looking forward to seeing the three movies mentioned...12 Years a Slave, Dallas Club and Philomena.

Friday, March 14, 2014 at 1:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi I am in total agreement with you – 150% if I could say that … I would have said the same thing about all the awards but you say it so much better than I ever could. Ellen certainly was terrific and made this Oscar show very special – it was one of the better Oscar shows I have seen in a long time. Now, I hope with spring coming up you will feel much better.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 3:48:00 PM PDT 

Blogger :::
had this to say:

Enjoyed your post very, very much. It all happens while I am asleep so I have to be content with a short summary on tv. Got to watch Blue Jasmine on an intercontinental flight and loved Cate B's performance. I don't think I can watch the 12 Years a Slave, though, too much suffering...

And I just happened to have enjoyed Guess who's Coming to Dinner this week, loved it, loved it!!

Take good care of yourself, my dear. I haven't been around visiting myself.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 1:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I ditto all you posted. Although I am younger than you, my health has aged me too soo, indeed I understand how you feel. No need to apologize for not visiting MY blog, I will always 'hear' your thoughts, when you disagree and stroke my weary writings into a dear compliment, always very Naomi and perfect. I think of you every day.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 12:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't see the Oscars but reading your post has made me wish I had! Ellen is great, and looks it too.

I would love to see all the musical performs. I love Darlene Love, her Christmas song off Phil Spector's album is so good, and her vocals then sounded very much like Frankie Lymon to me. She also sings a song with Luther Vandross on his Christmas album and it's excellent. Great voice. That is a film I want to see "20 Feet From Stardom'. I was reading about last week and that does sound like my kinda film.

Sidney Poitier still looks handsome in this photo! Yeah old age is a bitch.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 11:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you review of the Oscars is excellent. I had not seen it before now. I am in agreement with you 100%. My only disappointment too was Blue Jasmine winning anything though I do love Cate Blanchet, Judy Dench definitely was my pick.

Friday, March 28, 2014 at 6:32:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.