Wednesday, July 31, 2013
patio greens



And closer in......
There are lots of plants out on my Patio.....things are more protected there and so,  we often put things there that are more delicate, or that need more personal attention.
Some things have been moved from down below because the elements are so raw down there---Sun--12 hours a day, and Wind--24 hours a day. All the plants down below are open to any and all weather changes----in many ways it can be very harsh down there. So we move those plants that are visibly not doing well and therefor need to be in a more protected environment----not a Greenhouse, but close to it.  My Patio gives them that protection. And of course, some things start right out here on my somewhat enclosed Patio.
This is a really Beautiful Euphorbia.....It is quite slow growing in a pot, but in this case, it has thrived in this particular spot.  That is a window behind it and that really protects this wonderful plant, and many of the others, from the sometimes very strong winds, and yet they gets lots of light and sun.....
Lots of goodies in the picture above.....all of them different, but they all get along together really well......
This is another Euphorbia.....I know, it doesn't seem like they could be in the same family.  But they indeed, are!  What they have in common is the Sticky White Milky stuff that is inside them......
And above....another Euphorbia, that looks nothing like the two you have already seen, so far......
And a closer look at that one, above.....(and, by the way, that single stalk right there just left of the middle---is, yet again, another Euphorbia......)
They say that there are about 1500 different varieties of Euphorbia's.....In the main one above, each of those long hanging leaves has these little protrusions----each of which has a little sticker at the end.....If you look closely you can see them.....
Those little white looking things are the 'stickers'.....I love this plant......I have two of them at the entrance to my home----They are on either side of my front gate-- sort of guarding the gate......The picture below was taken at night and is really not very good.....But, at the moment, it's all I have.......
This was taken back in early 2006 with my first digital camera which was very new to me at the time.....I am going to try to get a better picture tomorrow.....
So, bear with me on this......This photo above doesn't really show off those Euphorbia's very well, at all, I'm sorry to say, which was the whole point.......!
Okay!  This is a better picture...But, you still cannot see the great beauty of these Euphorbia's.....One of the reasons is that the tops have been cut off of these two plants.
These Euphorbia's grow pretty fast and they get quite tall---in fact, too tall for the place they are in....So, we have to cut off the tops and let them dry----then plant them in pots so they root, and after they have rooted, we exchange the 'tops' for the cut off pieces and the process starts all over again.....The piece on the Patio is a 'top' that has been rooting.....
Above, you can see where the top has been cut off......and you can also see the front doorbell, which was obscured before we took the top off.......It doesn't look particularly neat, but, I'm afraid it's essential. Otherwise people cannot find the front doorbell, and they also can get a tiny bit hurt by trying to ring the bell through these great beauty's.......
Let me show you a closer look below, and then I think you'll really see what I mean......
The little stickers I talked about?  They really can hurt if you brush past them......Below....a little closer........
See what I mean?  But I, in spite of that, I think this plant is so incredibly beautiful.
The design is so very complex, yet simple, at the same time.....And each leaf is so very thin, yet has such substance, plus, those amazing little treacherous stickers......
Next time I'll show you some more special plants that are on my Patio......


More To Come........




 







22 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I love greenery (mountain greenery)
It is so restful to the eyes. I wonder how often you have to water them. It must be a mammoth job - especially if you have hose pipe bans like we often do.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 7:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I now understand how when I asked you (once upon a time) if you had a religion you mentioned nature. There really is a spiritual connection with these beautiful living plants and also the flowers which you've shown in many of your posts. I love the wild plants that guard your gate...but those stickers look like they can do some serious damage. They make great guards! Beautiful to look at...just don't get too close...or else. :)

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 7:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love seeing and hearing about the things you love..as you do your plants. passion knows no bounds with the people and things you love and you certainly can't hide how you feel! So I love your blog no matter if it is a birthday or your plants or art or friends..!! I wish I had met you when I lived in the Valley!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 1:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, those are quite some cactai! We don't currently have any, but over here they tend to need to be grown indoors due to the wet & cold climate here (although we've just enjoyed a whole month of heat and sun!).

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 1:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How nice that you have a sort of "sick bay" for your ailing plants.
I had no idea from the original shots just how large that Euphorbia was. I love how they guard you entrance but can see the problem with the door bell.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 6:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You have such a green thumb! I have accidentally killed cacti before from LACK OF WATER. Seriously. I'm pretty hopeless.

These are gorgeous pics!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 7:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's been a long time since I did the blog thing. I've missed these photos. Glad to see you're still posting!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 8:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those plants are amazing! I used to have a cactus that bloomed once a year. Their blooms can be quite lovely.

Your front gate seems so California. Lovely, too.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 3:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Like our friend Riot Kitty, I cannot keep a plant alive. Ron received a lovely plant from his daughter this past Father's Day and my daughter has managed to resurrect it on her semi-weekly visits. We are trying our darnedest to keep it alive. Wish me luck. You obviously have the touch.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 3:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They really can hurt if you brush past them...is so incredibly beautiful.

That goes for both Euphorbias and women.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 3:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

your plants are gorgeous, as is your gateway! So pretty!

Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely photos, Naomi!!

Friday, August 2, 2013 at 7:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your Euphorbias and the succulents in the previous post are gorgeous! So different from anything that will grow here in Canada, unless you have a greenhouse. And I love your gate, very attractive design.

Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 5:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Simply beautiful, like your own little paradise. Your plants look very happy

Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 11:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

simply fantastic - lush and beautiful - i so miss having a "real" place for plants this past year but am looking forward to my upcoming move where i will not be so restricted - anyway, it's always so nice to drop by your place - and sit out on the balcony/patio enjoying the beautiful plants and brilliant view, but especially the fabulous company! xxx

Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 6:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, those plants are really gorgeous!
Your patio looks like a green paradise! LOVE all your plants and the the Euphorbia is really stunning! Sounds so pleasant to live near so beautiful plants!

Wishing you a very nice Sunday.
Many hugs, my dear Naomi.

Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 7:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love plants and your patio looks amazing with all those verdant colour. I love it!!! I hope you have a lovely Sunday and hugs from Bergen :)

Btw, thank you for your lovely comment in my blog, but sadly I had to close the comment section being that I'm not going to blog in an indefinite time frame. I'm keeping the site though as it is my portfolio. The recent post you saw is from my Instagram account, which I'm now using as my photo blog of sorts hehehehe. Every time I take a new photo with Instagram it will also update my blog automatically :)

Here's the link to my Instagram account: http://instagram.com/charlesravndal

Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 7:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the colours and the light in those top pictures. It's amusing to me that you have to move things in away from the sun. We have to move things in away from the cold!

Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 11:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

hi my friend. just wanted to say hello.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 12:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

"WELCOME, RING DOOR BELL" Oweeeie, hahahaha This may be good idea for the greenhouse at my assisted living facility...much seems to die there...

Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 7:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the way the pink flowers are faded in the background on the first few shots. And that 4th shot made me say "Wow!" I also love the way your entrance looks, so unique and kind of stately.

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 11:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm catching up on your posts -- I love all the succulent posts. They are among my favorite plants, though I have no luck with them.

I thought I was following via google friend (which still works) but you don't show up in my feed. I'll try to be better about checking in. Hope you are well.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 9:25:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.