Monday, May 06, 2013
in my fathers house

\
This is a song that I wrote quite a few years ago.....I was working on adapting a particular film that I loved, into a Musical Theatre piece. 
This song was written for a specific character, named John Tower, in a very specific scene---so it was always meant for a man to sing in the show.
But clearly, I was writing about what I knew, myself. 

When I presented it in class----This was a class that both Betty G. and I were taking, that was taught by the fantastic Lehman Engel---Musical Conductor extraordinaire, and a composer, himself, and a multiple Tony Award Winner,too.

It was a class for "professionals" who wanted to write specifically for The Musical Theatre---whether for Broadway or for Musical Theatre, anywhere and everywhere. (I had already had some of my Original songs on Broadway, in "Spoon River")....It was a fantastic class, taught by a man with a very long an illustrious history on Broadway.  In fact, he was the Musical Conductor on "Call Me Mister", (1945-46) the show that brought Betty G. to Broadway Stardom, and then films.

The first year of this class was spent learning the "principles" of writing a Musical ----I remember Lehman always saying, there are no rules, but there are 'principals'. 
In our second year, we were to work on material that spoke to us in a very deep and personal way.
Anyway, when I presented this particular song in class, Lehman was very moved by it and his words about my song, moved me.
This little video was taken in my den, while listening to a tape of me singing the song.
I hope you can hear all the words.



My dear sweet late brother Gordon, cried, every time he
 heard this song.
He also said----'If Naomi never did anything else in her life but create "In My Fathers House", that would have been enough'.
Words to cherish......



More To Come.......







23 Comments:
had this to say:

Very sweet and sad, Naomi, and what a pretty voice you have!!

Monday, May 6, 2013 at 5:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, what a moving song. The ache is there in your words and lovely voice. Thank you.

Monday, May 6, 2013 at 6:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So beautiful and haunting, Naomi.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 3:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Very moving! xx :-)

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 7:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wow... !! I am sure no one could sing it better! Beautiful Naomi! No wonder Gordon cried.. the bond between brother and sister and your fathers house.. just beautiful..

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 10:36:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

That is so poignant and haunting. Knowing what you have shared with us over the years about your father, I'd say this song is spot on. It also feels like it's from another time.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 7:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! That IS very moving. It really reached in deep and touched me. You have such a beautiful voice, Naomi and this is such a well written song. I can almost hear it in a musical and see the stage set for it. It comes to life! I like the way you recorded it too with the books, ending on the bust of your father. Haunting!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 8:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your brother was right. As I listened tonight- I could him feel him crying with me.

God bless you for sharing.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 2:01:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Darling Naomi - that was just so moving.xoxoxox

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 3:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can only echo what the others have said, dear Lady. A truly moving song. Peace xoxoxo

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 4:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! You can act and sing and write music? I am impressed! A lovely song.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 7:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a sad song, but beautiful too. I can relate, but it would have to be redone as "In My Mother's House". You have a lovely singing voice. I liked the video as well. You are so talented Naomi. :)

Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 2:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful, clear voice you have! And thank you for the tour.

Is that Lehman Engel or Art Buchwald?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 4:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

gosh, such a beautiful voice!!!

Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 10:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can understand why Gordon cried, very moving. Also led me to the video of rainbow on Sweetie!! AMAZING. Visiting your blog is such a joy. (I watched you and your friends with your toys too!)
I laugh, I cry, I learn.
You have been, for me, a treasure found.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 6:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! What a beautiful and moving song, dear Naomi! What a wonderful and a crystal clear voice you have. Yes, I can also understand why Gordon cried, you have a great sensibility singing your song. I am enchanted, fascinated! Love the video and I also saw the video "Mirror Image", it's so beautiful too. Thanks for sharing such beauty, dear Naomi!

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 6:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Touching and so beautifully written and sang with the heart of a true artist. The part that saddened me the most was "...so we never learned to touch," but there were many parts that were sad but beautiful, too. So lovely, my friend. Your voice is amazing! At the end there with the sculpture just about brought me to tears...and I didn't even know your father, but I feel through you that I caught his essence.

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 9:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, Naomi. It is beautiful. Thank you!

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:09:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I think I just met your father; I think I just met you.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 7:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, this is poignant, so eloquent. Your young voice is so very perfect for this song. Knowing a little bit about your father adds to the insight, but even if I didn't -- I'd know. I understand what Gordon meant. This is divine.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 7:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This gave me goosebumps and made me sad. So beautifully sang.

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 6:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a poignant, emotional song that says so much and sung with great depth. I can see why your brother would tear up from it.

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 8:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi you have such a pure voice. Perfect. And this song tells the story so well. Haunting and spine tingling indeed. No love there.... What lovely words from your brother. I am sure he was so proud of his much talented sister. How lucky you three siblings were to have one another and to be so close. He is still around watching out for his sister believe me. I am always amazed at your talents - I don't believe there is anything you cannot do. You are a warm, smart, funny and creative woman. I admire you greatly and all your achievements. I wish I lived round the corner you are such a positive role model. Really.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 4:45:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.