Sunday, March 17, 2013
malachi throne

An old friend and colleague died last week. Dear Malachi Throne. He was a wonderful actor and a very dear dear man, too. Mal was 84 years old.
I first met Mal at Theatre West back around 1967-68, when he became a member. Though Mal earned his living in Films and TV, his heart was always in the Theatre. And Theatre West was a perfect place to flex those stage muscles....

In the Summer of 1970 Malachi and I were cast as husband and wife in a play called "L.A. Under Siege", which was produced at the Award winning Mark Taper Forum, part of The Center Theatre Group here in Los Angeles, under the Direction of the marvelous Ed Parone. The play was written by the very talented Mayo Simon and included in the cast, Allyn Ann McLerie, Frank Aletter, DouglasWatson, Helen Page Camp and Malachi and myself.
This production was notable for a number of reasons, but one in particular---Helen Page Camp and I had to appear topless---a First, for The Mark Taper Forum. 
The first day of rehearsal we sat around the table and read through the play a number of times. The second day, we were on our feet and I had decided that I had to take my brassiere off starting that day so that I would be completely comfortable by the time we went into previews 5 weeks later. Malachi was very supportive and encouraging, and acted as if this was absolutely the right thing to do, and wouldn't be all that difficult.
And so, I did it. At the end of the scene on that very first day---book in hand, off came my brassiere. When I came off stage and sat down next to him---he was stunned that I had actually taken off my brassiere on that very first day....And he said, 'You are a very brave person'....That meant a lot to me! And I think that cemented our friendship and our mutual respect as fellow artists, forever.
Malachi was known for any number of different iconic roles that he played on TV....."Star Trek" was one of the more memorable involvements.
"To Catch A Thief", with Robert Wagner, was another.  
And then there was "Batman", where he played a very strange character called 'False Face'
Mal never gave up his love of "live" theatre and was always involved, participating at Theatre West and at The Fountain Theatre, among others.
Mal had one of those great great voices of all time....a deep resonant Shakespearean voice, if you will, and aside from his TV and Film work, he had a wonderful career in "voice over" advertising---a very lucrative part of the acting business.......
He was an enthusiastic and devoted actor. He loved and cared deeply about what he did and worked very hard at it, and took great pride in all that he did. He was a true professional, through and through......!



He adored his darling wife Marjorie and leaves a dear family and a host of friends and fans who will miss him very very much.
R.I.P. dear Mal.....
Such a very sweet sweet man, and such a very very talented man, too.....
Your body of work speaks for itself, my dear old friend.


More To Come.......







21 Comments:
had this to say:

I am so sorry Naomi that you have lost such a long time friend. The frailties of aging is hard enough but the losses we must suffer are so much more painful.
He looks so familiar to me and I had seen him in each role you mentioned, except for theater.
Good thing in your topless venture that you were surrounded by friends.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 11:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't know who he was until I got to False Face. They just reran that episode. Interesting tidbit: It turns out that that villain only appeared once because he scared children. Also, the role went uncredited with the actor listed as "?". The reason is, he felt the mask so thoroughly hid his performance that he requested his name be stricken from the closing credits.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 1:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Condolences to his family, friends, and also to you, as a dear friend is lost...

And, how brave of you, to go topless!!! Especially, at that time, where it MUST have been a very daring thing!!!

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 3:50:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I am so sorry for your loss Naomi. I recognized his younger photo immediately. I've seen him in a number of roles. My condolences to his famiy and friends like you.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have seen his work in those TV shows. The perfect deep voice---I bet he WAS great at projecting on stage. I see why you had mutual respect---that alone can make for a good friend indeed. My sympathies, Dear Naomi.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 4:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I know how hard it is to lose a dear friend of long standing. RIP, Mal.

Naomi, you never cease to amaze me!!
LOL I am pretty sure I would never have had the courage to do that.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 8:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, Naomi. I remember your telling me you had a topless moment onstage and this must have been it. You ARE brave, my friend, and I'm glad your pal was there to show his support; it could not have been easy.

Wish I could have seen your work back in those days...all of your stage work. Do you have any on film?

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 9:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry Naomi that you have lost your dear and a long time friend. My condolences to his family and to you.

Like Kenju said, you never cease to amaze me, my dear! It was so nice to have the support of friends on your topless stage work!
As I always told you, you really must to write a book! Would be just great!
Lots of hugs.

Monday, March 18, 2013 at 5:59:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

So many good people are leaving us. May he rest in peace.
What an interesting face Mal has.

You are a braver woman than I am. The only time I went topless was being examined by a young doctor before being accepted for a nursing career and my mother and Home Sister were also present.
I have just heard from Amazon that 'Amour'is on its way. I look forward to it.

Monday, March 18, 2013 at 8:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I also remember you mentioning you went topless but couldn't remember why or when. You are very brave indeed.

I'm so sorry that you've lost yet another dear friend. It must be so hard to keep hearing about loved ones passing away. I'm glad you have such good memories of him.

Monday, March 18, 2013 at 8:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wow. its amazing to see this. i would have never knew this if i hadnt looked. hope all is well and you are doing good yourself health wise. i havent been around much again as I want to be. just very busy. trying to finish school. i have six months left.

Monday, March 18, 2013 at 10:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Dear Naomi, another of your good friend has gone. I am so sorry. I remember him well – such a fine and talented actor. You have had so many wonderful friends in your life – I know it is painful to see them go – but it is true that memories help. All my condolences to you and all the people who were dear to him.

Monday, March 18, 2013 at 5:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a touching tribute! I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. And I remember the role in the Batman show!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 1:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely tribute. My husband's parents said that was the hardest part of getting old-- both lived into their 90s-- that they had so many friends who had died. You gave a lovely tribute to your friend and his work

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ohhh, I didn't know you worked with him! I'd say "that's cool" but someone might take a reference to the lack of a bra! heh.. You are surely braver than I gunga din! :o)

Gene Roddenberry must have liked him because he appeared in not just the original Star Trek but in Next Generation ST also!

our losses just keep coming..and each time we realize just how short life is... wasn't it only yesterday when you were doing that play? :o)

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 2:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I know that face. So sorry.

Did it work? Were you comfortable enough by the time you had to do it topless? Makes me wonder what the story was about to have a topless scene with a wife.

I have come to visit a couple of times but my browser kept bringing up the Oscar post. I was getting worried that you hadn't posted in so long and then I figured it out. I'll come back to catch up.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 7:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fine actor he was!
So so sorry for your loss, Naomi. Seems I have said that more times than I wish, Naomi. Sending you love and care.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm sorry for your losss. I didn't recognise his name, but I did recognise his face.

Take care.

Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I also recognised him immediately from the 'younger' photo. Star trek was probably the main place, although I'm sure I've seen him in other shows too.

As for the topless scene...Well...

Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 7:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi -- I'm so very sorry you have to sustain another loss so soon. I, too, recognized him from the photos. Saying farewell to a friend is so difficult. I'm so sorry.

Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 2:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That is sad Naomi but what a wonderful tribute to a great friend and colleague. I recognized his photos too so have seen him in various roles too. As for you going topless, wow just wow. I would not be so brave but then again I would not have had the guts or talent to do a tiny bit of what you have achieved. I may even be going to LA this year for a short visit. Not definite yet but working on it. Hope you are well.

pS I put a comment on your current post but it may have come up under another Google account - I am totally confused about how the log in all works now lol

Saturday, March 30, 2013 at 5:31:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.