Saturday, January 14, 2012
a film worth your time

Because I am a member of The Screen Actors Guild, (Along with about 60,000 other people), I get to vote on The SAG Awards, which cover Television and Films....But, because I am 'confined' to my home, as most of you know, I don't get to see a lot of the current movies, though there are many screenings through SAG--(Frustrating as all hell, for me---I used to see everything even before it was released in theatres...) Now, I don't get to see them until they are released on DVD's....Except, if The Producer's of these films decide to send a DVD to all 60,000, Screen Actors Guild Members.....
Well....so far, I have seen:
"THE HELP"
, "MONEYBALL", "THE ARTIST" , "BRIDESMAIDS"
AND "THE DESCENDANTS" .....and then also---because these next two were rentable from Netflix----I have seen: "MIDNIGHT IN PARIS" and
"THE BEGINNERS". And a dear friend lent me: "A BETTER LIFE".....I will write about these films in the next few posts---but for this post, I want to talk about "THE DESCENDANTS"......I really loved this film....Alexander Payne, ("Sideways") Directed this film and Co-Wrote the Screenplay. It is a wonderful script and a very touching film, as well as being quite funny......George Clooney is utterly superb, playing a character we have not seen him play before! He is the father of two young girls---and both these young actresses are wonderful----The older daughter, played by Shailene Woodley is quite extraordinary!! It will be interesting to watch where her career takes her. It should be a very very big career, I dare say.....When the film begins we find out that his wife, who is the girls mother, is in a coma, having been very badly injured in a boating accident. Hard decisions must be made. The story unfolds in a very fascinating and sometimes surprising way.....It is filled with so much humanity and the kind of conflicts that effect so very many family's and so very many married couples and the children who are left in the 'wake' of their parents struggles......The setting is Hawaii....And that alone, held a certain nostalgia for me, having spent 14 weeks living on the Big Island, many years ago....In a certain way, the Beauty of the place belies the horror of what is happening to this family, but as Clooney's character says---very bad things can happen in what looks like Paradise. Hawaii is also a major and important character in the film, too. So much heartache in such a beautiful place. And more hard decisions must be made about some very large important family acreage....... I want to have an experience when I see a film---I want to feel things---I want to be transported to wherever it is any given film wants me to be transported to....."The Descendants" fulfilled all of that, for me.....I urge you to see this film, if you haven't already.....It is heart breaking, thought provoking and, very entertaining, too, and all the performances---down to the smallest part---are beautifully rendered.....You can't ask more from a film, in my view. Below, Clooney and the always wonderful Beau Bridges......And, I think George Clooney should win ALL the Best-Actor-In-A- Leading-Role 'Acting Awards' out there this year....! (He's already won The Critics Choice, and deservedly so......) And in all honesty, I am anxious to see this film again---so that's what I'm going to do later today. And I will savor every wonderful moment of it.....! Again, I urge you to give yourself an 'experience'---go see "The Descendants".........

More To Come.........




Note: I want to thank you all from the bottom of my very broken heart for your kind and caring words about the loss of my dearest Sweetie....These are hard times for me---I miss him so very very much....And the wonderful loving things you all said were so comforting and so very meaningful to me. It has helped me enormously to just get through the day---the hours---and sometimes, the minutes.....He was my dear dear little family. I know some people don't understand that, but I Thank God for all of you who do and did.....My heart is so full with your tender understanding. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.........And so, we press on as best we can........







28 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My wife has been demanding we see this. It's still around and I'm hoping I can get her in there next weekend for her birthday.

Thanks for the review.

Cheers.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 1:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh gee, you are going to make me sign up with Netflix again with that review. I got mad when they raised the price but I keep seeing movies I want to watch and this town has no theater.
Moneyball almost won me back, now your review will push me over the edge.
Think I will go sign up now. Thanks Naomi once again for a great review.
I hope someday the loss your handsome Sweetie will ease somewhat and that the memory of him brings only comfort and no pain.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 2:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm convinced. I was hesitant to watch a sad film during the "holly jolly" season so the one movie I did see at the theaters was Hugo and I loved it. I'm also wanting to see The Artist too. What a honor to be able to review and vote on the winners!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 3:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'll definitely put this film on my "must see" list on your recommendation, Naomi. It sounds like a film I would enjoy. And George Clooney is so easy on the eyes isn't he?
I don't see movies very often, but I volunteer at our local theatre which shows movies twice a month..... this week it was "Sarah's Key".... wow, that was an intense film, stunning story and great acting..... have you seen it?

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 5:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the review, I might just take a look. I do like Clooney as an actor, he has great presense!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 7:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've been on the fence about this movie as I haven't heard too much about it. Glad you liked it :)

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 8:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well after reading your post I definitely want to see this film!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 11:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hello, Naomi,

I finally had a moment where I could come over and watch your videos of Sweetie -- and I'm working my way down the list to them. Thanks for telling me they are there.

Everyone I have spoken to loves The Descendants. I've been waiting till the crowds wane a bit before hitting the movie, but it is high on my list.

I hope you're well.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 12:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I know I say this every year at this time about how I miss all those movies that DeForest would give me. It's been a lot of years since that happened and yet I think of it as "just last year".. I don't get to see many movies either... maybe one or two a year. I'm glad you get to see the movies and vote for the best of the best!!

Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 4:11:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

First, let me whole heartedly agree with you, this is a great film, a great story, Hawaii is a wonderful feature in the film and Shailene Woodley is an amazing talent! Now, let me preface this next statement with, I LOVE George Clooney. I will watch anything he's in because he always delivers such stellar performances. I will also say, his acting was good in this film as well, the thing I found distracting in this film was his face. I was unable to lose George Clooney in the character. He never disappeared for me and that disappointed me. I think I would have enjoyed the movie much more had his celebrity disappeared and allowed his acting to come to the forefront, or had a less well-known actor played the part. If they had toned down the bright whiteness of his teeth, had him put on weight and/or put him in a beard, I think it would have been better. The best example I can give of this is Steve Carell in "Dan in Real Life." I HATE Steve Carell and I didn't want to see that movie because the types of characters he usually plays and the humor he displays always annoys me. That said, when I saw "Dan in Real Life," Steve Carell so disappeared into that role that I ceased to see Mr. Carell and began to feel for the character in the film. Does this make sense? I really wanted to feel for the character in the Descendants and I really wanted to be taken away, but George's white teeth, rakish smile and celebrity got in the way.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 12:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This does sound like a wonderful movie Naomi! I will look for it. I'm not a big movie watcher but I like the ones that pull you into them as this one sounds like it does! Thanks for the review. Love and hugs!

Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 1:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That a film wins your heart is a BIG deal in my mind. Can't wait to experience it.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 2:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for a good recommendation, I will check this out as I would really like to see how the Father pulls through a crisis with the children.

As you know Naomi, being the Mother and trying to be the bridge between spouse & children can be a trying and at times challenging. Perhaps, things happened for a result and it is only through adversity we grew stronger and better as a person.

I am glad you are getting better now and just remembered, we think of you always :D

HUGS!!!! BIG BIG HUGS :D

Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 5:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hello there!
Watching the Golden Globe awards and listening to the gentle rain that has begin to fall here in Long Beach. I have heard wonderful things about George C. Upon hearing your recommendation I shall make the trek to the local picture show and see it. Sending you all the very best and hope that everyday finds you feeling a little better.
Cynthia

Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 6:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I had seen the movie, and I personally couldn't understand why it was getting such high ratings; at times I felt it to be slow even. Yes, the acting was good, the storyline was powerful, the relationship between characters was believable, but I just couldn't understand why it got 4 stars...

And on another note, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dearest companion, Sweetie. A beloved member of your family, and a beautiful member. I hope each day will be a bit easier for you to handle, Naomi.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 8:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!!! I have been thinking of you a lot!!! I love this time of year. Today, I was planning on watching, "The Descendants" as well. No film has blown me out of the water this year, though I have really enjoyed many of them. I thought that "The Help" was really good, but not great. I did enjoy "The Artist". Jean Dujardin is one handsome man! Holy Moly!

"Bridesmaids" is still my favorite of the year, though my friends that are just now seeing it on DVD are not liking it. I wonder if the whole audience experience has something to do with that. The audience I saw it with was out of control with laughter, as was I. I think Kristen Wiig was brilliant and the script smart.

I love movies.

And I love you.

Stan
XOXO

Monday, January 16, 2012 at 9:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can't WAIT (alas, I must)to see this film!

Monday, January 16, 2012 at 12:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I just finished it. I liked it. I liked the vibe of the picture. Kinda slow, kinda laid back, like the islands. Mr. Clooney is impossibly handsome. You are absoutely on the money about the actress that plays his older daughter. She was terrific. I really liked Robert Forster. He did a terrific job as well. I am still not sure why George kissed "Julie" on the mouth at the last moment. Chris asked if that was the kiss of death!!! Ha! I told him that this wasn't "The Godfather", and I had no idea why he kissed her like that.

Next up: Moneyball

Sleep well.

Stan
XOXO

Monday, January 16, 2012 at 9:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I can't wait to see this film. I just saw Moneyball and was very impressed with Brad Pitt's performance (and I loved him in the Tree of Life too). It's been fascinating to see he and Clooney in particular grow into such great actors.

I've been thinking of you daily, sending well wishes during this time of loss for you.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 10:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I will duly add this to my list to see at some point.

I am very glad you are finding so much support from all your many online friends after losing Sweetie. Many people don;t understand I remember getting some very unfeeling comments from people I knew when Bob died. There are so many of us who know what you are going through. Sending you big hugs from across the ocean xx

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 2:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Clooney is sooo handsome I could watch him in just about anything. I have not seen the Descendants yet. I loved the Help. The book and the movie were great, I thought. Hugs still. Wish I could give you one in real life.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It sounds like a good film. Maybe they'll show it on the plane on my next trip to the States. I hope so. I'll let you know.

I'm still thinking about you living without your beloved Sweetie, it must be so hard. Take care, and I look forward to more film reviews too!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 3:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the review, Naomi. I had already decided I wanted to see this one, and now I know for certain that I should.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 5:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Enjoyed your review of this movie. I saw it in a theater a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The scenery was beautiful reminding me of a Big Island visit to family a few years ago. Likewise some Oahu views, including Punchbowl, were impressive.

Your point that less than happy events can occur in even spectacular locations rang true for me and what precipitated an Oahu visit many years ago. Even the premise of a father coping with a dying wife and having teenagers to parent alone prompted memories. I was impressed with the whole movie and typically enjoy George Clooney's performances. Perhaps the complication of personal experience interfered with my objective perceptions of the movie.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 8:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love your movie reviews, Naomi!
I can't wait to see this film. Sounds really great and very moving. Thanks for sharing this post.

Sending to you many healing hugs and much love.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 4:48:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I saw a clip of this on TV and was immediately interested. Your review has convinced me it is one I must see.
On a more flippant note - I'm not one for gorgeous men usually, but I swear George has improved with age.
He's lovely!

Friday, January 20, 2012 at 2:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You wrote such a good review that I’ll see if this movie is still playing around here and go and see it next week. My husband just said today that we had not been to the movies for a while and needed to go. Sometimes around here it is hard to find good movies – they play so many for children or young adults – cartoons and scary films, but I’ll check.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 8:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I've put this on my "to see" list just based on the fact that George Clooney is in it!

Had no idea what it was about until I read your review. Now I REALLY want to see it! Especially since you think he deserves and Oscar for this role.

Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:12:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.