Saturday, November 26, 2011
the tile house-update

Remember when I went up to visit the amazing George Ehling in July? Well....of course you don't....Why would you? There is so much going on in every one's life...too much to remember a little visit of mine back in July....(My Lordy...that was almost over 4 months ago....!) I had spoken to George and he told me that I had inspired him to tile the inside of his two garages......I did write about that here......and here.....With Pictures. Do go back and take a look if you haven't seen this fantastic 44 year project---it gives those of you unfamiliar with this magnificent work of art, a small window into the creativity and passion of George Ehling.Anyway....there was one section in the second and more complex of the two garages, that was unfinished at the time that I was there in July---I did not show the pictures of it because I knew I would come back when it was finished and be able to show you both the unfinished and the finished.......And here is that unfinished section, and that is the incredibly talented George, standing in front of it.......This picture was taken in July and I thought it interesting because you can see the process to some degree. There are many areas unfinished and un-grouted.......Two months later, I went back to see the 'finished' section---in fact, to see all of the entire finished Garage, which you can kind of see in the very first picture at the top of this post.......Below....a closer look at the unfinished........ Unless you know and understand the process of "creating"---which is different for each artist, what unites all of them, (us) is the fact that there is a Vision.....George knew where he was going....and here it is, below..... So.......below.....Unfinished.............<><>And here.....Finished. To me....this is incredibly amazing....! I know first hand, in a small way, the time and effort and artistic vision one must have to see where the 'end-point' will be....And the most amazing thing about 'creating' is....The end point is often never where you thought it would be....That's the most exciting thing about being an Artist.....and it is also the most mysterious thing about being an "artist", too....The intuitive out-of-your-control vision that ends up being different and better than what you first thought of, many times......But is still exactly what you wanted it to be in your interior intuitive 'feelings'.......Below......
Unfinished, and Finished...... Amazing difference, isn't it? It almost looks like it is not the same area.....But it is! The Artist's Way.......
The Floor..........The two pictures above.....back in July....George was still working on everything and so the floor was filled with little bits and pieces and some of his working tools......Below......The finished floor, in all it's amazing beauty........I love that one tile that is somewhat darker than all the others.....a kind of signature of George's, sometimes.......The Artistry of George Ehling, continues........


More To Come.......







29 Comments:
had this to say:

Oh wow - his work is awesome is it not?

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 1:37:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I definitely do remember your photos of this man's amazing work...and am so glad that you shared the photos and his story. And now an update...
he is beyond amazing. Thank you
for showing us this incredible
artist.
Jann

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 1:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

an artists canvas (no matter what the canvas is) will never stay blank for too long!.. he's amazing

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 3:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

".And the most amazing thing about 'creating' is....The end point is often never where you thought it would be....That's the most exciting thing about being an Artist.....and it is also the most mysterious thing about being an "artist", too....The intuitive out-of-your-control vision that ends up being different and better than what you first thought of, many times......But is still exactly what you wanted it to be in your interior intuitive 'feelings"

I love this. It's like that, isn't it, Naomi. I've written about it too.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 5:39:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The garage panels are super. Very unique.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 5:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow what an amazing project and talent. Really awesome

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 6:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Brlliant!

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 7:40:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I remember the July trip and posts. I never get tired of your visits there and the photographic surveys. Thanks, dear.

Cheers.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 8:15:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I remember George's house! I've been reading every post you've done about him and his marvelous house. Didn't he also come to your birthday party or something at your house not too long ago? Anyway, it's beautiful! Thanks so much for going back and then sharing the finished project with us. I cant even imagine taking on a project the size of his house. Where does he find the energy to do all that?

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 12:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Yes I remembered this lovely tiled house and it is an artistic place. Lots of love and effort goes into this for sure :D

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 1:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for your visit Naomi! Wow do I ever love this!!
Does this gentleman do tours?? I would just love, love love to see this! Stay warm and cozy and take good care of you sweet self. C & G

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 6:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It so delightful! It pops. I'm surprised their aren't lines of cars cruising by and people wanting tours.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 7:32:00 PM PST 

Anonymous george ehling
had this to say:

naomi, i hope you are feeling better. thankyou for posting the garage. the pictures are sensational. i had such a good time doing it because i didint have to climb ladders or scafolds. on the back panel i see something i didnt see before which is the obvious big side crosses.one blue and one salmon.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 9:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

I have been following your posts about this amazing project and they just keep getting better.

Surely George has filled just about every available space with these beautiful mosaics, he can't have many places left to work!

His patience and eye for detail is truly amazing, I am surprised that he hasn't taken on commissions for his fantastic work.

Hope that you had a lovely Thanksgiving and are well and truly feeling better now.

Yvonne

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 6:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That is just amazing! The talent and patience that he has is evident. What a remarkable person!

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 7:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I remember your earlier posts about the tiles. The work is truly amazing! I love that he's used the bottoms of blue glass bottles for the centres :)

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 1:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

His vision is beautiful and produces amazing results! I love the gargage and how he does the center on the designs. He is truly a talented, patient and incredible artist! Love his work and I thank you for sharing it.

Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, Naomi, and that you're still feasting on whatever makes your heart sing, my dear! :)

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 4:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

thanks for this post with all the great photos! and Dear George, you continue to amaze me with your talent, perseverance, mathematical prowess and dumpster deep dives!!

Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 7:27:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Absolutely fascinating and thank you for taking us through the various steps which makes one appreciate George's artistry more.
I'm intrigued by what looks like the blue glass eyes. Did he make them I wonder?

Monday, November 28, 2011 at 3:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Of course I remember. That is not a house one forgets.
Look what you inspired. The man is amazing with boundless creativity. Surely he doesn't actually park his car on those tiles. An oil leak would be criminal.

Monday, November 28, 2011 at 7:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I remember those posts!
the photos are amazing

I love the blue in the tiles, that is an amazing shade

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 7:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

All I can say is WOW! Absolutely incredible. I would love to see this creation in person. But as I likely never will, I shall have to rely on your photos.... you did a great job capturing the colours and the designs and George's artistry. Just stunning!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 5:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Yes, I remember well the tile house, Naomi. Really it's an amazing work of art! And your inspiration to the tiles on the garages just are great!
You took stunning pictures of this wonderful and awesome house!

Have a pleasant day my dear!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 5:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I think his work is amazing.To think of all that talent and that's just inside a garage! He's transformed that dull space. Is that a blue bottle he's used? How strange that he adds one darker tile like that.

I'm tiling part of our bathroom at the moment and I could do with George's help!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 10:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What an amazing artist. I'm thinking his work on his home will not end anytime soon. As a writer, I am often surprised at where my work ends. One makes an outline, has a plan, especially with nonfiction--not much wiggle room, yet always a surprise along the way. The creation eventually becomes the creator and vice versa.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 6:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

His work is just amazing, Naomi, and leaves me speechless. (which does not often happen.)

Friday, December 2, 2011 at 3:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You ask 'do we remember?' and I reply 'How could we forget!' - that is some seriously clever tiling!

My question would be to know whether George ever parks a car in what is effectively a piece of installation art!

Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

All I can say is WOW. What a talented and gifted artist. It's stunning.

Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 9:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I remember those posts and was so surprised by this up-date what a sweet unexpected gift, Naomi, you are a treasure !

Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 10:36:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.