Tuesday, April 26, 2011
the red building

"You've come a long way baby"..... For those of you who are regular readers, you may remember that three months ago, the above picture of The Red Building at The Pacific Design Center looked like this, below.....! They have been really busy these last three months, and seem to be moving along at a rather nice pace--trying to finish the Red Building----it still has a long way to go, but, I was thrilled to see how much had happened since January 25th......As you may recall, there are two other buildings that comprise the Pacific Design Center here in Los Angeles......See this post of mine...... The "Blue Whale" was the first building of this complex and it opened in 1975, I believe.....The Green building opened around 1988.....and then finally, the Red Building, which will complete the complex, which they hope to have finished by the Fall of 2011...... I didn't take the picture above, but it gives you a really good idea of how big these buildings are......As I reported in my previous post about The PDC, I have quite a lot of time in The Blue Whale. There are lots of Wholesale Businesses there. I found Fabric for two pieces of furniture in my living room, in that building, back-in-the-day....And I have been to a number of AIDS Fund raisers there, too......Below, a Digital Artists rendering of what the Red Building will look like when it is finished, from the San Vicente Blvd. side of The Pacific Design Center..... The curve in the street really doesn't exist---but that is not what is important. What IS important is the beauty of this fabulous building---especially in the context of the two other buildings. I think this whole complex is really beautiful and very innovative.......Below, a closer look at the side of the Red Building from San Vicente Blvd., a few days ago....... And below.....how it looked, back on January 25th, 2011........ Isn't it amazing how far they have come with these glass tiles, only three months later? Honestly, I think it is quite fantastic! Look at that! It is magnificent....! And then, when you look closely, you can see that there is a short darker group of tiles, just above the bright red ones---up to a point, that is........ I know there has to be a reason for this---more than aesthetics, I think, but I could be wrong---Especially since it stops and doesn't go all the way across......So far, I haven't been able to get any really good pictures of the other side of the Red Building----Whatever I have taken is through the car window and that changes the color of the tiles. But given that, here below are a couple of examples....... This is the side that faces Santa Monica Blvd......And just so you can see the more finished side, once again......here it is below......Here is a closer look at the back-side or front side, depending on your point of view..... You can see from this picture above that more of that darker red-almost-brown is being used on this side of the building....Again, I know there must be a reason for this, I just don't know what it is, I'm sorry to say......Below.....another picture of the Santa Monica side where you can see the other end of the building....... It is strange. It almost looks like two separate buildings from this picture. I need to wait till more of it is finished and then try to photograph it from a different angle from the Santa Monica side---not easy, given the traffic, let me tell you........ I love that you can see a man working up there....It really looks like a big Ship, in a way, doesn't it? And rest assured, I will be following the progress of The Red Building, as time goes on......

I will leave you with one last image of the more finished other side of this extraordinary building, because I think it is Soooo damn pretty..........





More To Come...........









24 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Architects keep coming up with interesting and creative ideas for our living/working spaces. It's as much art as function.

Cheers.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 6:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well personally I love it, but I'm sure there are many who won't. I love modern buildings and glass and colour.

They worked really quickly on it too! You captured some great shots!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 11:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I like it Naomi! Certainly a bright spot with the red, blue, and the green!! I think it's amazing how they come up with these ideas for buildings! It does remind one of a ship at that certain angle.

Hope you had a wonderful Easter, you and Sweetie!! Hugs!!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 5:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It is quite spectacular and I certainly understand your fascination with the building. For me, since I have a thing for red (my car is red, you know)... I'm forever saying that white cars are unpainted reds, and the other colors have just been primed for red... I have to say, I'm glad to see they got the color right this time. Just took them three tries. And then I'll laugh at my own joke. :)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 8:30:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I don't normally go in for modern design, but I LOVE the Red! I'm into red quite a bit this season, and I think it looks fantastic next to the blue. I think all the primary colors of these buildings are quite stunning.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 5:11:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It makes one feel/hope that the recession hasn't hit California.
I wonder if there is any sense of the colour inside the building?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 7:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember the blue building; it's good to see the red. Interesting contrasts...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 8:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the buildings and the colors. And for sure people will not, but I feel a splash of color makes buildings more fun to look at.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 8:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The architect had a great idea to have the three buildings done in primary colors like that! They really stand out.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 1:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos of the Pacific Design Center, Naomi! Really fabulous!
I would love to see these buildings in person...
Thanks for sharing such amazing photos of Los Angeles.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 6:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
About your comment on my current post, I totally agree with you, that space is too small for me. Really it would make me claustraphobic. But the worst to me is the ladder to reach the bed! Lol! Unfortunatelly since January
I have been with knee effusion or swelling of the knee (colloquially known as water on the knee)... As I fear so much to take anti-inflammatory drug... you can imagine...
Many hugs to you and to Sweetie too!

Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 7:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I wish the curve in the road really was there, it looks fabulous

beautiful buildings!!
I like the blue
and I love how it creates reflections

there is a complex in the Meadowlands here in NJ that has changed hands so many times and it's half built and so so ugly
they were calling it Xanadu
the papers call it Xana-don't

Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 8:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My Chinese friends tell me that red is the color of good fortune and prosperity. A bride explained it is the color of their traditional wedding invitation.

Works for me

Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 9:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's certainly bright and cheery! Did they architect have the vision way back when the first building was built for the whole thing? They do work well together : )

BK

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 7:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i remember when the "blue whale" was being built! i think we'd just returned to l.a. from a stint in the mid-west (college & babies what were we thinking?), so it was really exciting to be back in "the land of cool" again! thanks for sharing these photos, sugar! if i waited for my children to tell me what was going on, i'd never know what was happening in l.a.!!! xoxox

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 7:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It really is a fabulous bit of architecture! I love all eras of design and architecture and it's hard to pick a favorite but this would rank up there at the top, for sure!

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 11:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, it really has come along. I do love the artists rendition of what it will look like. It is my favorite building of the three but then I am partial to red.

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 2:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Fantastic! The whole thing is like one big art installation in primary colors. I love it!

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 4:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! I just came back to tell you that I've just read Vagabonde's blog...it's terrific and I loved learning more about you, too. I haven't worked my way through your entire blog, yet, but I will!

I have a new appreciation for you, learning about the illness that you've been battling and yet you manage to accomplish so many things.

And I see that you are a Cancer, too...so am I! Must be kindred spirits.

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 6:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They remind me of ships.. Huge water crafting ships out at see or a leasurily cruise for people to be on the walk about and such. It has grown nicely and they are doing a wonderful job on it.

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 7:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That red is brilliant!

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 12:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing and a wonder...

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 9:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What an interesting building and it looks quite large! Fascinating!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 3:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the colour and it makes for a vibrant building. Much better than all the boring, grey building you find everywhere. Love to see the finished building.

Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 7:09:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.