Tuesday, January 25, 2011
more movies....

Above, Melissa Leo & Christian Bale, playing Mother & Son, in "THE FIGHTER".....Both of these actors won Golden Globes, weekend before last, in the Best Supporting Actor & Actress in a Movie category.....And deservedly so. Based on real people, this film, starring Mark Wahlberg is good! In my opinion, not something we haven't seen before, though certainly it holds one's interest and there are some terrific performances....Again, in my opinion, another performance that deserves attention from all the Award shows---Amy Adams. I will be interested to see if she gets an Oscar Nomination as she did with The Golden Globes and The SAG Awards----it will be interesting to see if she wins The SAG Award.......If you are a 'fight movie' fan, you will enjoy "The Fighter" a whole lot! "RABBIT HOLE" was first a play on Broadway before it became a film....And as you can see above, Cynthia Nixon and John Slattery starred in the play--Ms. Nixon, winning a Tony for her performance. The film, stars Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart and is a well written very good film that many people may find quite painful to watch....It is about a couple struggling through the grief of having lost their young son.....Both Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart are very very good....
But the performance that I found to be truly lovely was Dianne Wiest as Kidman's mother....She has a monologue about loss that is beautifully written and further---is beautifully played by the wonderfully talented Ms. Wiest, who I think is one of our most brilliant actresses. She is better than good, in everything she does....The first and second season of the HBO Series "In Treatment" as the psychiatrist, to name just one recent performance....... "THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT" is a good film. Though for me, I wish they could have cast the two leading characters with less well known actresses. I had a hard time separating the well known actresses (Annette Bening and Julianne Moore) from the characters they were playing---And that got in the way of my just going with the story and forgetting about who the actresses are that were playing these parts. Having said that, both Annette Bening and Julianne Moore are very fine actresses and Bening has already been
recognized for her performance with a Golden Globe.....We'll see what the Academy thinks on Tuesday, when the Nominations are announced, and at The SAG Awards this Sunday night....Mark Ruffalo as the Sperm Donor/Father of this couples two children gives a very subtle and layered performance....Is there a SAG Award in his near future? He is a truly exceptional actor! "127 HOURS" is pretty much a one-man-band affair. Based on the true story of a young man hiking by himself who falls almost to the bottom of a canyon, where his hand and part of his arm is stuck behind a huge immovable boulder....Most of the film is his struggle to move the boulder, which, no matter what he does, he cannot budge---this goes on for days and finally, he has to cut his arm off to save himself. I found it very very gory and quite upsetting, to say the least---and in fact, had put off watching this film because I knew it had to be pretty graphic----But I must say, I have great admiration for James Franco, who plays this seasoned climber/hiker--He was very very good....It is a rather odd movie, though....the film ends quite abruptly and I'm not sure why Danny Boyle, who directed the film, wanted to make this picture. I know it should be inspiring, but I found it a 'cover your eyes' type of picture....So, dear reader, fore warned is fore armed, as they say. (Oh, I didn't mean that to have a double meaning, at all....!) The always exciting and truly gifted Javier Bardem, stars in this Spanish Language film...(It should definitely have a Best Foreign Film Oscar Nomination and Mr. Bardem a Best Actor Nomination....) It is a beautiful performance---so tender and loving---the polar opposite of Mr. Bardem's character in "No Country For Old Men"---a character that was truly horrible.....This film, Directed by and Co-Written by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu---a very very talented man, (21 Grams & Babel, to name just two of his other films...) is not an easy film to watch because of it's raw truthfulness, but it is a special film that deserves to be seen and felt....I was deeply moved by it. This is a film in which you care so very much about the people, flawed though they may be....There is a lot of humanity in this beautiful film called, "Biutiful"......There are still more films to write about and they will be coming along here in a few days....And by the time you read this post, The Academy Award Nominations will have been announced---5:30 a.m. today here in Los Angeles.....Hell, I might even stay up for that.....!

More To Come........









20 Comments:
had this to say:

I wish I could see them all, Naomi.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 5:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

you make a wonderful "critic" Naomi, you make me want to see them all! (well, nearly all lol)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 5:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I wondered how they could make a whole movie about the hiker getting stuck, sort of like Castaway, but even more solitary.

I always look forward to your reviews, Naomi, and I get my list for the movie rental store this time of year!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 6:04:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

When my wife heard about 127 Hours, she smacked me and said, "That's why I hate it when you go hiking alone out west."

Sigh

Cheers.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 7:08:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I actually saw the nominations on TV at lunch time - by pure chance - and I so wanted to know more about the films and here you are - filling us all in:)
Rabbit Hole I knew nothing about for example. BTW I recognise John Slatterly from 'Mad Men'.
Who was that TV comedienne - Mary Tyler Moore? who did a film about losing a son years ago - directed I think by Robert Redford.
When you were writing about Mark Ruffalo I misread hiking for hacking:)
I saw Javier in No Country and found him terrifying but have since see gorgeous photos of him. So that's another film I'd like to see. Thank you Naomi:)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 9:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

FINALLY! I have actually seen one of the movies that you mention.... as you probably know, I don't get out to the movies very often! Yes, I watched "The Kids are All Right" last week.... I enjoyed it, but I thought the ending was rather predictable. I thought all the characters were very believable and the actors played their parts well. But I didn't like th title of the film, it didn't mean much to me.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 2:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I really enjoy how you review a film like a sensitive professional..., and I can feel how fully you experience each one. It helps to have been in and around the industry and to have dear friends dealing with it all *smile*.

So, several of these I'll be looking forward to renting as DVDs, Secretariat, because I so loved Seabiscuit. And 'The King's Speech' which must be superbly acted. And, now really, don't you think Colin Firth is pretty nice eye candy??~~ grinning here!!

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews. The Social Network?

Oh, and I LOVED your final installment of New Year's party and The Game...I could just hear the laughter and kidding and lewdish (a word?!)joking! But also some excellent gifts, too, so it is such a game of chance and 'move the gift'...that poor male hula dancer LOL.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 3:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I've read a bit about 127 Hours, and I have to say it must be harrowing to watch.

I haven't seen any of the films, but you make me wish I had!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 3:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So did you stay up? Funny, I have been watching, In Treatment, on DVD for the past few days catching up on all the shows. Dianne Wiest is truly a wonderful actress, you are so right. There is something so measured about her and she has the most wonderful sparkly eyes - a national treasure I think. Well there are a lot of movies that I have to catch up on but I am so glad to read your reviews as I trust your judgement on them too. A few Aussies got nominated and not that I think we will win any it is good to be in such good company. Always an exciting time of year in Hollywood I bet. One of our older actresses here, Jackie Weaver sho is in her 60s got nominated for a very low budget film made here called Animal Kingdom. I need to see it too but its great that after so many years treading the boards and always in work, that she has been internationally recognised. Great to see an older woman getting kudos too. Its so very good to see that these awards are not all about the beautiful young things!! Take Care and thanks for another great post.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 8:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

LOL re: the 127 Hours. Your ending comment was funny. Also, what's the point of watching a movie if you're covering your eyes (which is exactly what I would do if I were to watch that film). Tony said he wanted to see it and I'm just thinking, "Ick!"

Always love your reviews. But then I've told you that before.

xo

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 9:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love to read your synopses of films, Naomi. I'm not much of a movie-goer, but it's sure nice to read about them.
I movie Pat is referring to is Ordinary People. That was a powerful film, as I recall...

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 8:23:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I saw the Fighter. It was a good movie, but not great and not very original feeling. The only performance that stood out for me was Christian Bale's. Amy Adams performance was nothing special to me. I haven't seen Rabbit Hole yet, it hasn't come to our town. I'm torn about seeing it because of the subject matter. We've never seen the Lovely Bones either because of subject matter. I don't know, we'll see if we get up enough nerve to see it. I might have to Netflix the both of them so I can turn them off if they hurt too much. The Kids Are Alright was just okay for me. I thought Benning did a better acting job than Moore. I thought Mark Ruffalo's performance was the best. I haven't seen 127 Hours yet, it hasn't come here. M and I both want to see it though. We haven't seen Biutiful, hadn't even heard of it. I think I might like to see it. I enjoy movies where I can really get into the story and care about the characters.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 6:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! I wish I could see them all, but where I live I only can see on DVD...
I would love to see "Rabbit Hole", because I like so much Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart.
Thanks for your always good movie reviews!

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 4:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You really are my "go to person" about movies. We rarely disagree.
Thanks for the warning on 127 hours. Now I know what to reserve at Netflix and what not to.
Thank you.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 5:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I suggest your blog to anyone who loves films, plays and art--you never disappoint!

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 12:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I loved reading about all the movies, here and in the prior post
I value your opinion and usually find myself agreeing with you

I'm a big fan of Amy Adams and I love how her career has progressed to more varied roles with meat on them

Hope sends hugs

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 1:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I had to stop by to say hello and to see what you were up to.
God bless you.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 9:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I enjoyed reading your reviews. I find them very enlightening and I know I can trust you to be honest and give your true opinion. The day after Christmas we went to see True Grit in Nashville but it was sold out so we saw The Fighter instead. At first I did not get into the movie but then I enjoyed it. I think that the actress playing the mother, Melissa Leo, looked and played the tough talking rough looking woman very well. We saw True Grit and the King Speech later on, now I'd like to see the rest of them.

Friday, January 28, 2011 at 8:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I agree about "Kids Are All Right" and think you pinpointed why the movie didn't quite impress me as I had thought it might -- though, as you say, both lead actresses very competent. I thought Ms Benning's character's reactions were a bit off target in one significant instance, but I assume she was performing what was written and what the director wanted. I absolutely agree about Diane Weist's excellent acting!

Just not interested in another boxing story, but was told it was more about relationships. Not up for a film dealing with a child's loss -- maybe some other time. The real life news of "127 Hours" was quite enough of that story for me, so won't see that movie. I do want to see "Biutiful" eventually.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 3:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I recall the guy who got stuck in the rock and had to cut off his hand to get out. I don't know if I'd want to watch a movie about it though!

Your reviews are great Naomi!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 11:45:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.