Tuesday, November 30, 2010
hirshhorn museum opening-1974

The Opening Weekend of The Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden actually fell on a Tuesday...October 1st, 1974. There were a number of events that preceded that actual Opening....and there were a number of things we all participated in....One was to walk through the Museum, and through the Sculpture Garden, too, during the day.....Below, that is my late dear sister Robin, standing next to a beautiful Jacques Lipchitz sculpture. And below that picture is the same piece of sculpture, as it looked in the Garden in Greenwich. Again......it looked so much more alive and real there in my father's garden.....Since this time, the Hirshhorn Museum Sculpture Garden has been completely re-designed and my understanding is that it is much 'warmer' now...there is more foliage, etc. than there was back in 1974.....Below, my dear dear sweet friend Sammy---gone, too---standing near a wonderful sculpture by Ipousteguy...."Man Passing Through The Door".......As you can see, there was foliage behind on the wall there....Still, there was a starkness to the look of the Sculpture Garden in 1974. My understanding is, it is better now with more foliage and the redesign...But I haven't been back to The Museum since 1981, right after my father died, so I have no pictures of the Garden except the ones I took on the opening weekend..... Above.....this is now in a different place than it was back in 1974, as you can see....Closer to the staircase. Another view of this sculpture, below.... And below.....here is view of the back of this piece...... This was when the Sculpture was still in the garden in Greenwich.....Below....Another Ipousteguy sculpture photographed in the garden in Greenwich with Olga standing right next to her.... I love the humor of this photograph....And these pictures were taken by Gjon Mili, a very famous LIFE Photographer, who visited Greenwich in 1973 and 1974 to document the sculpture while it was still in Greenwich and also to document how the sculptures were moved....Here below is that same piece being moved from Greenwich---Air lifted by Helicopter...... And below, a number of pictures of some of the Sculpture in the garden in Greenwich, after they had left their positions in the garden and were moved to a 'waiting' place in another part of the garden----waiting to be air-lifted and or boxed for the trip to Washington, D.C........And another picture, below.....And, another picture of more of the sculpture, ready to go to Washington.....Below, is a closer look at the back of this magnificent Jacob Epstein Sculpture....called "The Visitation"...... And here below, is a closer look from the front, of the top half of this monumentally touching piece when it was still housed in the garden in Greenwich......All these pictures were taken by Gjon Mili..... So very very beautiful......And below....An overhead view of the crates of Sculpture waiting to be placed in The Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden......All pretty amazing......!





More To Come...........


December 1st is World Aids Day. Let's not forget all those still in need.......











24 Comments:
had this to say:

Whoa!!! I am awe-struck Naomi!!! Unblievable really, your Father must have had a big garden. All so unique and must have worth a lot right now. But that's not the point, the treasure!! :D

Yes, very amazing indeed.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 12:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can't remember how long I've been reading your blog for Naomi, but you seem to amaze me every time I read - you have had such a life. =)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 3:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

GREAT history. I've sent off to NY producer who just may have more current images... if they come in- they are yours!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 10:34:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These photo's are great, very neat pc. of history. Again Thank You for sharing
Pat from NY
P.S. Hope this finds you doing well.!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 11:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I am speechless!!!!!

We, as a nation, are so blessed to have your father's glorious gift!!!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 12:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What an amazing collection your Father had. How wonderful to be able to walk around and see these creations on his own property.
Makes one understand art collectiion.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 1:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The sculptures did look so much better in your father's garden.

I never realised that they carried sculptures like that by helicopter. There must be a big risk of damage transporting them that way!

The man passing through the door is my favourite.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 1:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

wow! amazing Naomi... but also sad seeing them leave their "home"..it must have felt sad to see them leave.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 4:01:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hello Naomi! Wonderful photos and those are wonderful works of art! Awesome!

I'm so sorry if I haven't been here lately because things have been hectic in my life as of now. I'm not leaving the blogging world permanently. I'm just taking an indefinite leave of absence or when I'm finally done with my book.

Btw, I'm just wondering if you have Facebook?

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 5:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks so much for these fascinating posts, such interesting history, beautiful sculpture. Yes, what a life you have led! Thanks for sharing.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 9:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

N, Love this post and the pictures, I adore The Visitation, beautiful! I undertand the museum on the mall is the only one named after a person, and it is your father! WHAT AN HONOR!!

I was just listening to We Are The World, I have not heard that song in years, had to watch the clip again on You Tube. Such a good song for today Dec 1st. I shall dim my lights tonight in honor of HIV/Aides Day.

Your LI friend ...

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 10:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Pretty amazing is only the forename.
Here is the most amazing sculptures with lot's of creativity - and even; this sounds crazy when talking about sculptures: 3D. The leg ...

Thanks for inviting me into this amzing and wonderful park.

btw. Yeah it will be exciting to visit Austin. Hope the Airport security(Home Land Security) will treat us as positive tourists.

hugs
Tor

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 11:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh wow Naomi, your father had so many wonderful sculptures! If I'm ever in DC I must look the museum up! It does look stark but by now I'd say it's a lovely place!!

Looking forward to more!!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 11:43:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hei Naomi! I use Facebook since it connects me to my classmates and I limit people in my profile. I'm certainly going back to blogging, but for now it feels like a chore and it breaks my focus on my other writing project. Btw send me an email if you received my snail mail. :)

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 1:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Amazing Dear Naomi. thank YOu for sharing.
my lights will be dimmed in honor of all who have suffered....
Prayers

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 3:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love all the folds and details in the works, makes them so alive!!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 6:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful post, Naomi!
Just great that you have all those pictures and share them with us!
Hirshhorn Museus is really remarkable!

Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 5:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It looks like a cool place! So many things to see!

Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 9:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It is such a small world, I was talking to someone yesterday who met your father and Olga when they came to New Zealand. He was the director of the Auckland Art Gallery at the time :)
I will email you tonight with a catch up letter :)

Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 11:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

As I said before, it is an astounding collection! In all the times I have been to DC, I have not seen the Hirshorn, but I will remedy that when I go there next. I will get photos, if possible, so you can see the differences in it now.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 9:05:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm enjoying this sculpture series, dear. I hope you've a few more up our sleeve.

Cheers.

Friday, December 3, 2010 at 6:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

wow naomi! you make me smarter every single time that i come visit your blog!! this post was no exception. amazing, beautiful, historical and most important (to me) personal! how incredible!!

Friday, December 3, 2010 at 12:29:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

They must have looked wonderful in your father's garden and hopefully they are now in a more garden like setting than at first.
How many people are appreciating these great works now?

Monday, December 6, 2010 at 1:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love museums...and I love the wonderful history you share. I am always amazed by your life.

Monday, December 6, 2010 at 6:02:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.