Friday, March 26, 2010
house of tile - part 3

This section of 'the Tile House' is over on the left, up at the top....It really looks like it is Indian or Egyptian or somewhere in the Middle East.....Again, he has incorporated so very many designs in this one area.....Let's look more closely....... I find this all so incredibly inspiring. To see this kind of "art" be part of a home---a three dimensional view of such artistic proportions....Well, it is art that is 'living'......I deeply appreciate 'art' that you can hang on your walls or that sits on your coffee table----as in sculpture. But to be able to live in your work of art and still share it with the world....This is fantastic! And by the way, I have found out that the Artist-Owner is named George Ehling, and he has lived in this house for close to fifty years and is STILL creating these incredible Mosaics, everywhere, even on the inside of the house...... I am just in awe of the time it took to create each and every area of this house.....Look at these two lower sections---look at the detail....! Above....a closer look at that ball-like structure....Look at the complexity of this......As I said in my first post about Mosaics....I have a small idea of what went into the creation of all of this beauty, having made a number of Mosaic tables in my youth......The precision; the artistry---well, it takes my breath away as I have already said. And then....looking at entirely different area of the house.....Remember the wall going around the front of the house? Here....let me remind you......Besides the Rock Garden there in the front, which is quite wonderful all by itself....waaaay at the very end of the front wall is another small wall, butting up against it.....And with such a pretty design........ GORGEOUS! I love the colors and the fantastic design....and the Optical Illusion......How did he think of this?? This is---Genius! And then...let's look even closer, please......... Remember....each and every one of these tiles was "cut" by him, and "placed" by him...in just this one tiny section of wall, there are Hundreds of Tiles....maybe even thousands......! This is a true work of art......Now, Going back up to the house itself once again.....here below, a window that is truly magnificent in every way...... And as you can see, there are any number of designs included here---even the wall of the house has an extremely complex design....But my favorite design of all, I think, is the one going all around the outside of this window itself....So complex and so very very Beautiful....!The design is stunning...the colors are stunning, and I cannot get over how perfect it all is....! I am telling you, this is very very hard to do! And I love that thin blue line of tile just on the inside, kind of framing the window and completing that exquisite design....Another close look, below...... Then....underneath this window is kind of a window box-type structure, and look what he has done with that!
I cannot get over the many complexities of all these designs...Look at those tiles underneath.....The detail of all of this---is utterly stunning to me! Some people may never even notice all this underneath stuff---but, it is there to admire and to marvel at! Let's look more closely at that incredible side design....... Utterly Amazing.....! And, believe it or not, yes, there is still more to be seen of this house which is a true work of art.........! Below, a more complete look at that man underneath the window we've just seen....... Getting in closer on this section above.....Wherever you look....there is a design....Below, a closer look at the 'portrait' and it's surrounding red tiles.............. It is almost overwhelming to take it all in---and, in a way, one visit just doesn't do it---at least, not for me.....I keep hoping that Mr. Ehling will be outside working on some area when I am there and then I can talk to him.....Meanwhile.....there is still........




More To Come..........

NOTE: I hope you all aren't bored with all this because I plan on posting some more.......







29 Comments:
had this to say:

I love the idea of living in a work of art too. The concept of living art is very special to me. I tend to think the way I dress is like a mini work of art.:D It's a great way for me to express myself when I haven't got time to do in any where else.

Love all the photos. :)

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 4:46:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Not bored in the slightest.

One can't help but imagine Scheherazade somewhere in the halls of the house telling stories about the desert. That's the marvelous thing about architecture: some of it crosses over the bridge from functionality to art.

Cheers.

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 7:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Bring it on. I am amazed at his work. Really like the illusion tile. Such variety
I do hope you find him outside and can interview him with a possible invite inside.
Of course he may think you are stalking him and is working on a restraining order as we speak.--he he.

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 7:42:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a pity you can't meet him I'm sure he would be delighted that a neighbour was so appreciative of his art.
The top picture has a Turkish look to me and round the window looks 3d - we should have special glasses for it like Alice in Wonderland. Then I can see a chevron design round the window and lastly a Greek key design.
Does one need permission to decorate the exterior in California? It's certainly a joy to see.

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, what a wonderful house! Love so much the window and the balcony! Really a piece of art.
Thanks for sharing!
(((Hugs to you and to Sweetie)))

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 11:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a unique and interesting house - great details and architecture too - and wonderful story about it from you! Thanks for sharing all these wonderful pics too so that we can follow in every details. Please keep up the good work Naomi!

Happy Weekend too - while I'm at it :-)

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Bored? Are you kidding?? We don't see this kind of creativity every day...at least not here in Miami.

The owner of the house has truly taken his art to another level. My favorite is the window box structure. The color and design is just beautiful!

Thanks for sharing, and yes bring on the rest of the mosaics!

PS - Happy Weekend, my friend! Remind me to tell you more about my father's reaction to the Cuba article.

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 5:00:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I think you ought to go knock on the door and talk to the man. I'm assuming he's been doing this the entire 50 years he's lived in the house? Has anyone ever done a story on him, local newspapers, t.v.? I'm wondering how he managed to reach all those areas of his house. What happens during earthquakes, do tiles pop off?

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 7:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

No bored here! I just got caught up on this series and that house is something else! Amazing!

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 8:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How could I ever be bored with this art!!?? The number of different designs is mind-boggling!

Friday, March 26, 2010 at 9:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What incredible art! Here is a man who is living his passion. I am amazed, and can't wait to see more.
Thanks, Naomi. Another sign that art is alive and is an essential part of all our lives!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 4:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hope you are able to meet him so we can know about him too..do an interview of his thoughts.. what a beautiful and on going work of art I so enjoy this.

And to think he hand cuts the tiles, is amazing please keep it coming.


Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 6:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Pretty much an awesome looking place! Wow. keep the pics coming Naomi!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 8:42:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love these posts of yours so much that I Googled this house & found a YOUTUBE segment of HGTV where the owners were interviewed and show the inside. The Mrs said although they have 'some' inside, she does not want it like the outside. I suppose it would be a bit 'busy' to live with. Lol. Your pictures are far more in depth, and of course, we love your narration. Please don't stop!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 9:11:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, I just looked again at that YOUTUBE segment I refered to, and it actually is another house in Santa Monica. My apologies. The one you are showing us if far more glorious. I was surprised at how many Californians have used tile on the exterior (after I Googled that is). Love your blog!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 9:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ah, tesselation, one of the oldest forms of art :-)

These are beautiful and remind me of two very different worlds.
Tunisia; muslim country with beautiful native artwork incorporating mosaics on public buildings, hotels even banks.
Canada; a dolphin statue made out of waste glass turned into mosaic - so beautiful....

Hi Nay, sorry I've not been around much - work is hell, homelife is a bit difficult and the usual winter stuff......

But I do pop in now and then when I can

cq
:-)

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 9:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi bring it on. They are awsome to look at. I am going to bring hubby back in here when he comes home to take a look.

I like how when they have the blocks look 3D. They look like they are real blocks on there but they are flat... Amazing really.. Just amazing..

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 1:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

who could ever tire of your pictures and the stories you tell to go with them?..chapter by chapter we get a great book!!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 4:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Bored?? Lordy NO!!! I love this!! It is so fascinating!! You must meet this man Naomi!! Surely with all this beautiful work he'd love to talk about it. I can only imagine the inside!!

The blocks along the rock garden, well there is a quilt pattern in that same fashion and it's called Tumbling Blocks. It gives the illusion of blocks tumbling and I always thought it was so pretty!

The colors he uses are so amazing, and the time it took to do all this! You have to admire someone that would do all this work. I find it utterly amazing and interesting!!

Looking forward to more more more!!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 8:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My goodness, how beautiful! And your way of describing things make it even lovelier.

By the way, I have to drive up to Barnes & Noble on Monday to pick up my new copy of. . . . the music book for Spoon River Anthology, which was, so I've heard, written by someone quite precious to me.

I can't wait to try my hand at your music, Naomi dear.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 1:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

bored!? no way
this is beautiful

I love the window
it's breathtaking

Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 7:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The man is a true artist and artisan. It's not just slapped together but really thoughtfully done and obviously planned. Amazing work of a lifetime. I have seen other things where people spent a lifetime creating their own vision but it's rare one so finely done

Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 9:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the idea of living in art! What a spectacular home! I hope everyone else appreciates the details and beauty as much as you do. Hope you are enjoying Spring out in your part of the world as much as we are.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 9:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that it's so colourful!

Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 3:43:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

This is so detailed... I would have loved to see him out there working on it... I bet that was something that would be just mesmerizing.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 6:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Indeed if I am just looking at this house alone I would have mistaken it to be in the middle east :D

Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 7:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The details is incredible. It is hard to imagine. I once tiled a table and it took me a long, long time to do. The fact he has cut the tiles, and designed it as well is just too hard to contemplate. I wonder how long it has taken. It could look hideous and overdone but it doesnt. The designs are beautiful and the colour something else. Simply breathtakeing actually.

Monday, March 29, 2010 at 11:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Such beautiful tile work!! I love the look, the designs, and the colors!
It's April Fool's day, and so far I've not fooled anyone. The day is still young, so I will have to "get" somebody with a good zinger. The problem is I'm terrible at keeping a straight face, so wish me luck in my endeavor.
I just wanted to pop in and see what was up in your neck of the woods lately. If you decide to join Facebook, please add me as a FB friend. I am Jamie Dawn Bradley Hood on FB. I find it is much easier and quicker to leave messages and receive them from friends. I miss blogging, and I will return someday, but not any time soon.
I hope you are feeling okay physically these days. I know you have quite a struggle, some days being worse than others. I also hope that Betty Garrett is strong and doing well.
My dad is coming for a month long visit beginning April 14th. I look forward to having him here.
I have good news to report about my dear MIL. She finished her 4th round of chemo and is considered cancer free!!! She lost all her hair and must still go through radiation, but we are thrilled that she is doing well.
I hope you are still treating yourself to chocolate truffles often. Such divine treats!
:-)

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 12:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello,
We are dear friends of the owners of this house!!
George's (owner) work is beautiful and very special.
We both think it would be a pleasure for you, Naomi and the other people to see the inside of the house because it really is spectacular!!!!!..

Best wishes,
Connie & Audrey Dunsmore ;-)

Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:13:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.