Sunday, February 28, 2010
seven things

Ily gave me this Award, and though as many of you know, I am not an "awards" person....this one seemed like maybe it would be a fun thing to do and to pass on.....And here are the things you have to do...Tell seven interesting things about yourself; Post the Award on your site; and be sure to tell who gave it to you; plus, pass it on to some other people......So, I thank you very much, dear Ily, and hopefully I haven't already shared these things with all of you already. One forgets after almost 700 posts....!

So, here goes..........

ONE......I once found a dead body......Many, many, many, many, many, truly many---like almost 61---years ago, my mother and I were traveling through Pennsylvania and West Virginia and Virginia---I had just graduated from High School. Why were we doing this? Well, my mother had rented our home in Great Neck for the summer because she felt she had to, to make some money because my father was not living up to his divorce agreement.....Don't Ask. So we were looking for an inexpensive little cottage or something similar where she and I would spend the summer.

We were outside of Stroudsburg, PA., having traveled all around 'red robin's barn' , as they say, and we were now back in Pennsylvania near Stroudsburg. We had spent the night at a tiny inexpensive rural Hotel. We had not yet found a place to rent. I said to my mother..."What are we going to do if we don't find anything" She said, laughingly..."Well, we will kill ourselves!..". We both laughed, and went down to the desk to check out, having finished our breakfast in the tiny but clean dining room earlier in the morning.

My mother paid the bill and we then walked down the hilly driveway to our car, which was parked in the middle garage of a three car garage which belonged to the Hotel. The first two Garage Doors were down, as they were supposed to be, but the third door was wide open. Being rather curious, I walked past the middle garage where our car was parked, to see what was in that third garage....I looked and there on the floor was a man lying on his side on this blanket which had been laid down very carefully. I saw some blood oozing out over the carefully placed blanket, and I must have made an audible sound of some sort, because my mother came over to see why I had made this gasping sound.
It was clear that he had shot himself in the head. And it was interesting that the H
otel knew who it was immediately, even before they went down there and looked.....He was a permanent guest at the Hotel. He had eaten his breakfast that morning and given everyone their weekly tips and then had gone down to that garage to end his life. A life, from what we were told, that had been very hard and very sad. The image of that man lying on that blanket has stayed with me, needless to say, all these years.

TWO......I never ate breakfast for twelve years......For all of the twelve years I was in Grade School, Junior High, and High School....I never ate anything before I went to school because I was afraid to. Sometime in Kindergarten I threw up and it was so terribly embarrassing...I decided that day, I would not eat breakfast again. So from Monday through Friday, no food passed my lips until lunchtime. School made me very nervous.

THREE........I was an "extra" in a Bing Crosby picture........"Mr. Music" was it's name and it was when I was going to USC for that one semester. Paramount needed Student Extras, and my roommate signed us both up. It was a lot of fun and the very first time I was on a movie set, though our scenes were actually 'on location' at Twentieth Century Fox, because they had a train station on their back lot, and Paramount didn't. I worked for two days and it included meals. This was the best food I had eaten the whole time I was at USC!

FOUR.....I failed three subjects in tenth grade......Nothing much to say about this except I was the first of my siblings to ever fail any subjects in school. It was quite embarrassing, to say the least.....During that Summer, between tenth grade and eleventh grade, I went to summer school and took the two most important subjects again. When I came back and took the tests, I failed both of them, again.

FIVE.....I was in the very first Drivers Training For Girls in my High School......We were an "experiment". If we worked out well, then they would offer this training to all 'the girls' in the eleventh grade the next year and every year after that. We did work out. And I must say it was a great way to learn to drive. It was taught by a person from the DMV so one learned really good driving habits.

SIX.....I played the Viola in our High School Orchestra. I was the only Viola player in the Orchestra which was kind of great, because if I happened to play any wrong notes no one was sitting next to me playing the right notes....And, it is a beautiful instrument. You are mostly playing Harmony, which I absolutely love.....

SEVEN......I have done just about every job you can do in The Theatre. You name it, and I've done it. Acting, Stage Managing, Props, Sound, Lights, Costumes, Singing, Composing, Writing, Directing, Producing, Box Office, Ushering, Dresser To A Star, Intermission Piano Music between scenes, Being an off-stage Cat "meowing", etc., etc., etc. And mostly, I didn't care if I got paid or not---and a lot of the time I didn't get paid. But when you love the Theatre and you want to be a part of it all----you are willing and happy to do anything needed. Of course, there is nothing like being paid for something you adore doing and have such a passion for---now that is a great Bonus!So.....there you have my seven, hopefully, interesting things. Now, I pass this on to Pat, Dianne, Randall, LL Cool Joe, Rachel, Chickie, and Rick at Palm Springs Savant.....Have Fun!




More To Come..........

NOTE: Here is a collector's item. The Original Cast Recording of "SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY" in mint condition, on which yours truly performs.....Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Spoon-River-Anthology-Original-Cast-LP-WL-Promo-1963_W0QQitemZ230441766615QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100226?IMSfp=TL100226153013r3065









29 Comments:
had this to say:

Thanks for sharing ! I hope I never find a dead body. I can't imagine having to see an image like that in my head for many years.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 12:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those are fascinating! I've been an avid reader for quite some time and all of those were new to me. I'm glad you took the challenge.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 1:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I did not know any of these things about you and I love them all. Funny, I couldn't eat a thing in the morning from 9th grade up until I got pregnant (MANY YEARS LATER, I might add). I didn't like riding the bus on a full stomach!

I can't imagine finding a dead body in a garage...or anywhere else for that matter. What an image to carry with you all thse years!

I know you're a theater girl (who's done it all) but I did not know you were in a Bing Crosby production. How exciting is that??

Loved your 7 things, my friend! I could've kept reading...maybe I should've asked for 14. ;)

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 5:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I always LOVE to know interesting things about yourself!

I am a happy person to have SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY on vinil and on CD. Thanks to you many times!!!
Kisses and Hugs!!!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 8:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What an amazing like you've had, my friend!!!!!!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 8:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love your list! These are great facts to know about you, although you probably didn't think that finding a body is a great fact...lol

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 9:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

thank you! I will absolutely share 7 things about me soon

I love all the things you've done in your field, I laughed at offstage cat meowing, how cool is that

I never ate breakfast either, even now I don't always but during school I never did

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 9:05:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm going to have my daughter write you about the theater as that's one of her choices for a major, along with English. Please just keep her from going to law school.

As for your first disclosure --truly a "grab the reader's attention from the outset" sort of intro-- better a body in a garage than a skeleton in a closet.

Cheers.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 9:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh how fun Naomi, thanks for this. I can't wait to put some thought into this one!
Rick

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 9:48:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Geez, I missed the tag. Thanks, I'm in, sometime later this week.

Cheers.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 9:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What neat things you revealed. Would never have guessed the dead body about you. All were new to me. Thanks for the new places to go, some I am all ready familiar with.
Dang, if I had known there was a career in cat noises, I may have ventured there my self.
Loved the post.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 2:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love your seven things and learned some new things about you too. The dead body must have been awful and I'm not surprised the image has stayed with you either.

Neither of my daughters like eating breakfast before school, but I'm not sure it's connected with throwing up!

Thank you so much for giving me the award, but now I have to top this list!!! :D

I better start thinking. But how do I compete with someone who's been a extra in a Bing Crosby production! :D

Thank you I'm honoured you picked me. :)

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 3:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What interesting seven things, Naomi! You've led a fascinating life. I have seen dead bodies as well, but that was during World War II.

I enjoyed this meme so much.

Hugs,

Renie

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 4:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, wow! Such interesting things! The one about no breakfast? How sad...that would have to suck to be so nervous about school for all that time!

I'll give this some thought and do it too!

Thanks!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 6:50:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Interesting things Naomi!! I'll try to do this one, but I'll sure have to put my thinking cap on. I'm afraid my 7 things will be real dull and boring, if I can think of any!! LOL

I think you had told us about the dead body before. How awful that would be! I think all the jobs you have had in the theatre would have been fun since you loved it so much! Off stage meowing like a cat?!! Wish I could have heard your meowing!! I'll bet that was fun!!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 9:02:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Congrats on your award.
It's great that you shared a sense of humour with your mother. That must have made the trauma of their divorce a little easier. To say nothing of finding a corpse together.
Had I been your mother I would have gone nuts at you not eating breakfast.
You have so much talent its only fair you should fail the odd subject;)
I wonder which of all the jobs you have done on stage - or off - you like best?

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 3:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

These are all fascinating but I can't believe you went all those years without breakfast. But with good reason!

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 5:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The Viola is a wonderful instrument. I played the Baritone Tuba (Euphonium) in the fifth grade band...:-)

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 7:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a fascinating list!
Not too keen on finding the dead body in the garage though. That was obviously quite a shock to your system as the image has stayed with you all these years.
I don't think I could go without breakfast, I love my rye bread toast and homemade marmalade in the mornings!
I wonder if you got to meet Bing (or even see him from a distance) when you were an extra on his movie?

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 8:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
this is a fantastic post.
I like it. And read it 3 times.
How should I respond with a comment that underscores how interesting I found your 7?

As I'm also reluctant to these kind of "blog-fun",
I'll give you the challenge to read all what follows:
Number one:
Divorced and really paying for 4 kids, and even give them 4 weeks Summer Vacation: That was very hard.
We did find excotic accommodations, mostly in France. Tent, sleeping outside under the Stars (that was exciting
all the stories and fantasies we were able to tell).
But we never saw a dead body, unless on Autobahn in Germany.

Number 2:
I allways had Breakfast. But these days: Not very often. Same for me now that for you when younger

Number 3:
As a Student I was as well on TV and Movies as an "extra" . Local productions. At that time good and easy money.

Number 4:
I failed too. In Norways second language: New Norwegian. I was too occupied with Theatre and Writing for the Scholl Magazine

Number 5:
Learn to drive is a private matter here in Norway.. I was 22 when I received a drivers license

Number 6:
I must admit: I've never ever played any instrument, but my daughter played Violin when she was young and my belate son Ruben played Classical Spanish Guitar for some years.

Number 7:
I also have done some of all the roles you have done regarding Theatre.

---

Dear Naomi, have a great time

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 10:48:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh my, it's nice to know another side of you or other experiences that I havent read before here. I've seen a couple of dead people due to my job before as a paramedic/firefighter for a year. I can never forget the images of those dead people.

Anyway, have a lovely week my dearest Naomi!

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 11:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

you never cease to amaze me Naomi!!

ewww a dead body! I can say that would stay with me the rest of my life! I can say I saw a man die of a heart attach and have never forgotten it either..

awwwwwwwww.. you did a movie with Bing!!!! did you get to hear him sing????

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 1:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I have begin to think that there is nothing you haven't done!! You've led an exciting and varied life. Congrats on the award. I'm going to listen to the link, but sometimes my computer takes eons to get one to play.

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 5:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

My, that was fun and no, I never knew any of these things about you either. The dead body, bit frightening. And just goes to show that school results dont mean much when all is said and done given all you have achieved. Really enjoyed this post Naomi and hope you are doing well.

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 9:48:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I think the thing that stunned me the most was finding the dead body. That would scar me for life I think. I don't do well with shocking things and to stumble upon the freshly dead after a suicide would have me plagued with "what ifs" and second guessing myself for not arriving on the scene sooner to prevent it. All this Catholic guilt would have to go somewhere.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 11:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful post Naomi so now i would like to know, do you eat breakfast now every morning?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 6:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

For some reason, none of these surprise me.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 6:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wildly interesting but I just want to feed that little girls eggs. I didn't eat breakfast either because I wasn't hungry early but by 10 am in school I would have to raid my lunch bag.

I've never come across a dead body but have stumbled on people having sex, twice!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 at 8:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Loved your list!

Interesting that the hotel staff knew who it was right away.

Are you a breakfast eater now?

Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 3:45:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.