Friday, October 23, 2009
foolish ghoulish

Taking a ride into Beverly Hills, once again, we decided to see if there were some other homes that had done a bit of Halloween decorating.....And indeed, we found a number of them. This guy above was actually standing in the window, inside one of the houses we came across.....He is pretty realistic in an early-Hollywood-Horror-Film kind of way.....Below is a closer look at his rather scary face...... Shawn suggested that the owners of this house might want to keep him in the window all year round....! (lol) Well it certainly might help keep potential vandal's away, that's for sure.....This house had the most ghoulish things of any of the homes we saw.....Here below are some of the truly bloody things that they had hanging about......And this guy below could be the brother of the one above.....lol! I turned him upside down---well, right side up, to us---Just to see what he would look like if he weren't hanging upside down, which he was..... Such a handsome devil, isn't he? And that beautiful jagged neck!! Oh My! I was talking to Lee Meriwether today and she was telling me that out where she lives all the homes are decorated in this ghoulish manner and that the kids love it! I think they have seen too much Freddy Kruger and other stuff like that.....(HELP!) This guy below is in a coffin! Well, of course he is.....! Do you think those eyes light up at night? Here below is a better picture of him showing a bit more of the coffin that he calls 'home'....... And of course, the obligatory cobwebs, everywhere.....The architecture of the outside of this house lent itself to these 'period' Halloween decorations...This next one is really interesting to me...... This 'tableaux' is on a skinny little balcony outside a window on the second floor of the house....There is this person carrying a pumpkin under one arm and a head in his other hand....Let's look a bit closer..... And then.....the most wonderfully exceptional part of this display......This expressive face with that cigarette hanging out of his mouth. It truly looks like some Special Effects Make-Up Wizard created this head....And maybe he or she did! I think the detail is really fantastic! Here above is another amazing creature...! She is hanging from somewhere and again, the detail of the face and the way the costume falls is quite extraordinary...... She is hanging up there along with this huge red spider person...... And below, a closer look at this really quite-beautifully-made Spider Lady.....Fur and all! But the most ghoulish thing of all---to me---is this next picture. And these three things----the hanging creature, the red spider and this thing below, were all hanging near each other up pretty high....It is extremely gruesome, my dears...... Oy Vey Izmeer...! This was the worst! Okay. I'll leave you with an image that is not as gruesome as the rest.....Well, I might have thought it was horribly gruesome before I saw all the rest of them......! And closer in on his head....... Oh Dear....! It is pretty gruesome....Well, I'm sorry if I have freaked many of you out. But, this is what is happening here in Southern California......It's incredible, but the kids really love all this ghoulish stuff.....! No kidding, they do! Hard for me to fathom, but it is true. Below is one of the least scary characters at this particular house, though he is rather stern looking. Over to his right (in the picture below) is a more ghoulish thing, but I am done showing you ghoulish things--Well, at least in this post.....(lol)!
The Pilgrim-ish looking gentleman is sitting in a chair on the far left side of the garden of this house....Here below, a much closer picture of him.......
And one more [icture below, an even closer look at his rather fierce face.....I must say I wondered what period and what country this whole display was supposed to be from....Any ideas? I admire the detail of his face even down to his slightly curling lip! I love the leaves from the tree in this picture....And the huge hedge behind him is interesting to me, too.....All these houses in the flats of Beverly Hills are right next to each other---there is practically no land between houses whatsoever. I believe the legal limit is 20 feet between each house, and every home has used every inch of that 20 feet. In this case, the Hedge gives these people a lot of privacy that they would not have otherwise.....One more close up of this fairly benign guy.... You know, he's actually a rather good looking man...! (What Am I Saying...????) Well, next to all the creepy things this place had out in front of their house...he is the least offensive creature of them all.....That's not saying a lot, but, I do admire the detailing of his being......Hallowwen is creeping up on us, isn't it? And creeping us out, too......!


More To Come........








28 Comments:
had this to say:

Those are some seriously spooky, er, beings, or, um, un-beings.

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 7:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great tour on Halloween decoration, Naomi! Amazing pictures!

Have a lovely weekend, my dear!

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 7:20:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Very creative decorations!
I am glad you took these pictures at daylight :)

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 9:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

love the guy in the window! love all the decorations

I'd enjoy a Hollywood Halloween :)

and we could trick or treat together!!

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 10:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Their creativity sure makes the store bought ghouls look amaturish.
Saw Martha Stewart on the Leno show and she had just come from a ride like you have taken us on to see all the decorations. Thought of you.

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 11:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Yikes. I like pumpkins (carved or not) and spiders and webs, but all those ghoulish things turn me off!!

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 1:27:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

That guy in the window would scare the pants off of me! I've been trying to figure out what materials to use to build a giant spider to have either crawling up the outside of my house or hanging on a giant web on the front of my house. I was in the garage this evening patching the holes in the gargoyle. I used watered down drywall paste this time instead of flour and water in hopes that type of glue won't disintegrate like the flour did. My poor gargoyle is full of holes. It looks like a moth got to him, even though I know none did.

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 3:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Goodness. Those are scary just to look at in the photos. We had a neighbor once who went way out with it and not only the decor but soundtracks for the night. Another friend once told me he would dress up as something, can't recall what but he'd lurk by the porch as though he was stuffed, then when the kids would come up, he'd rise up. Definitely scary stuff.

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 4:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi,
you are unbeatable.
wooow,
how you can create such a Halloween
report.
Only you are able to do that;))

btw. we are still in France

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 5:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This stuff is amazing and I can't even imagine how expensive the props are and what we spend to scare the heck out of us..isn't it amazing..

Happy costume hunting.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 6:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How elaborate! I havent seen as much decorating this year, but have had my head down quite a bit lately. I'll keep my camera with me this weekend and try to capture some of the front lawn zombie stuff to share too. Great posts Naomi.

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 7:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love how you poke fun at your own commentary... :)

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 9:48:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Nothing like a bit of ghoulishness:)
I like the first one best - the man in the window. He's got an evil gleam in his eye and one could imagine all kinds of creepy stories about him - a bit like Alastair Sim.
The last man with the stock round his neck could be an escapee from Arthur Miller's play - 'The Crucible'.
I can't remember what era that was. MTL thinks in the region of 1780's.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 3:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love Halloween! Can;t wait to return home next week and see all the decorations! Speak soon

-Rick

Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 4:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The man in the first photos is creepy because he looks so real. The skeletons and dismembered bodies don't affect me as much as those decorations that look alive.

The white lady reminds me of a story in upstate NY:

There's a place in Rochester, much like Inspiration Point, where couples go to park, and years ago, a woman's daughter was raped and killed in that area. They say that at night she (the mother) dresses in a white sheet and knocks on the windows of all the parked cars trying to scare the couples off. Some of my friends (back in the day) claimed they'd seen her.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 5:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, they really go all out!

Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 6:43:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Awesome decors! I think the first decor ( that man placed near the window) is the scariest for me. The way it looks is just menacing!

Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 1:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Most I've seen in my neighborhood are a couple of houses, each with enough pumpkins that they must have started carving one a day since Oct. 1st. Since they're next door to each other, maybe they have a numbers competition in progress.

These really are grotesque creatures you've photographed. Hope you sleep well without nightmares.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 4:23:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Well, it's a little bit different than all those Reformation Day decorations the Lutherans put up, what with everyone running around dressed as Martin Luther or the Pope.

Cheers.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 10:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! They really get into it, don't they? Great fun!

Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 1:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What fantastic images! Apart from that severed limb which is yuck!

Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 5:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You can actually go home and SLEEP after this? Ewwww Brave Lady from the Hills!

Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 6:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

...ummm about the "goodlooking man" at the end.. don't worry Naomi.. that happens when our eyes begin to go lol lol

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 4:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Umm I think we have one to many costume decorators out in Cali.. LOL.. Ok Ok I know its that time of year but still Yikes...

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 11:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ooh I would LOVE to see all of that! Halloween is my favorite holiday hands down.

Some of them would scare the crap out of me! Love it!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 12:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Too ghoulish for me!! We don't usually see things that ghoulish around here...but then again...I don't get out too much, so there might be!! LOL

Hope you and dear Sweetie are doing well!! Hugs!!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 7:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WooooWeeeeeeeeeee.........more spooky here and I 'love & hate' it all at the same time hahahhahah....

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 5:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

When I try to send you an email it comes back thus, thanks so much for your kind words..there's a lot going on in my head and I'm trying to make choices which alleviate stress I also hope my blog isn't one of the triggers and I thank you for caring I thought when we got older this wouldn't be the way it is....

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Sunday, November 8, 2009 at 3:48:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.