Tuesday, October 27, 2009
boo!

There is a house on Sunset Blvd---fairly soon after you enter Beverly Hills---that for as long as I can remember has decorated their big corner property for every Holiday there is. The house is now owned by other people, but these 'new' people have kept up the tradition, though if memory serves, the decorating may not be quite as elaborate.....Still, I love that they have honored what the previous long time owners had been doing for years and years and years.... In this picture above is the view of the display as seen from our moving car on Sunset Blvd. as you are going east, and just before you turn onto Mountain, as is the picture below, too......For Halloween, the three main things that fill this whole front lawn are the hanging Ghost's, some Gravestones, and a lot of stuffed-with-hay Scarecrows......Plus, this rather fun sweet wooden fence of Ghosts that are holding hands, and looking very cute I might add, as a fourth element that pretty much surrounds the part of the property where the decorations can be seen. The house sits way back from the street and is quite huge.......In the first and second pictures above, you can see the hanging ghosts from far away as well as some of the Gravestones, and in the the third picture just above these words, you can see quite a few of those rather colorful Scarecrows.....As I said, the property goes around the corner, so there is a big expanse with lots of trees and a huge lawn, too, as is seen in the very first picture...... This view above is from Mountain and is where the Ghost fence begins as we are looking towards Sunset Blvd. as it goes West......There is a stop sign at the corner of Sunset and Mountain which you can see in the picture above....You can also see a few of those stuffed Scarecrows...... And here above, the opposite view, looking up Mountain. I just love, love, love that Ghost Fence. I think it is so very clever and really really whimsical, too. Below, a closer look at some of those Scarecrow Figures..... I loved that there were quite a few of the Scarecrows near these lovely flowers....These were all on the Mountain side of the house..... And below....a closer look at more of these fun Scarecrows..... Mr. Blue! All patches and stuffing....and below, a closer look at his mate over there on the right..... And here below are some other Scarecrows.....All, very imaginative.....At least, I think they are..... Above, a mother and child? Or maybe a father and child--just sitting there on the grass.....thinking. Or is it a couple contemplating life.... Well....whatever he is thinking, it doesn't appear that he is having any very happy thoughts...lol. Here's another little grouping standing in the bushes close to the edge of this property....There must have been 25 of these Scarecrow characters all together...... Above, a little 'Smokey The Bear' Scarecrow? Well, I know he doesn't look exactly like him but that's who came to mind when I saw this picture...... Here's a little family.....with another person standing over on the side...Let's have a closer look at them...... They look like a pretty happy group, don't they? Now this guy above......well, I don't know what to say about him....lol....I was thinking about the time it takes to put up this huge display.....I'm not sure when they start but it has to take quite a lot of time, unless they have a crew that helps them with it all..... And all the thought that goes into putting this together and placing all these Scarecrows.....Very Very impressive! I love this guy leaning against the tree.....A lot of thought went into the the placement of this darling fellow, don't you think? I love this guy way up there in the tree over on the right.....Let's take a closer look at him.....He is really cute! Next time, we'll see the Ghost's and the Gravestones......And guess what, Halloween is just around the corner now.......


More To Come..........











32 Comments:
had this to say:

Wow, what a fun and beautiful display-ghosts, scare crows, gravestones! All of it looks fantastic, Naomi. Thank you for sharing your great pictures. Just loved them.

Boo to you! :-)

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 4:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I simply adore all these incrediible scare crows!!!!!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 4:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I really like that ghost fence also.
They must have help with this or perhaps they have a large storage place for all the scarecrows and only have to put them out yearly.
Thanks for the trip. We have no imagination in my "hills."

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 5:24:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Alas, I feel the same way about Halloween displays as I do about Christmas lights. I love other people's decorations and appreciate the work involved and sometimes think I'd like to join in. Then I remember that November 1 and/or January 2 always rolls around necessitating either removing the decorations or incurring the wrath of the neighbors.

Thus, I always refrain from that part of the holiday spirit.

Cheers.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 6:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This is great, thanks for sharing ! I love seeing what people with money can do on Halloween.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 7:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that ghost fence!! and the scarecrows are wonderful. Someone really loves decorating!!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 9:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have to say they are very imaginative out there in Cali. You dont see stuff like that here in WI.. Or at least where I live you dont. People decorate but not like that. Only if my husband wouldnt shoot me for decorating I would. He doesnt like Halloween. He believes if the girls want candy we can go get them a bag from the store.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 10:29:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Those are great decorations! I love the ghost fence, so creative. I also liked the family grouping among the scarecrows. We got our ghosts up this weekend and our zombie and lights. I still have a repair to do to the gargoyle. He's still got a slit in his throat even though I patched it. *sigh* I'm also trying to figure out how to mount a head on a body of a witch that I'm building and we now have a giant spider on the front of our house. We're planning to wrap some sort of creature in webbing and put it between the fangs of the spider. Is that too gruesome?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 11:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Uh - oh now i'll be pestering poor Stacy to build me a ghostie fence! I love it!!!

I find scarecrows a tad creepy though. Not sure why!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 12:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love all the scare crows. Wow can you imagine the hours and hours of work that must have gone into creating those? Amazing, that's a sight you'd never see in the UK.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 2:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Just great decoration! Love the Halloween tour and the ghost fence is amazing! Would be great seeing all this personally.
Thanks for sharing, Naomi!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 4:31:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

The ghost fence is unique and wonderfully creative!! I have never seen so many ghosts and scare crows in a front yard!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 7:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Now that's going to stop traffic!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 8:23:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Jen
had this to say:

This makes me want to jump on a plane to California. Am I too old to Trick or Treat?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 8:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

incredible! Someone really goes through a lot of trouble for Halloween! I wonder if they made each of those theirself?.. (and I wonder where they put them all when halloween is over lol)..I do enjoy seeing when people get all involved in the holidays...!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 3:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love Halloween, and all the decorations, costumes, candy etc. These folks have fun with it, and do it in a tasteful way, in my opinion anyway!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 3:50:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

This is the sort of Halloween I appreciate because it is a work of art. I love the fences of little ghoulies.
I think the two are mother and son and she is looking so mournful because he has lost an eye. I see there are spot lights so it must be spectacular at night.
One of the later ones with his knee dislocated looks as if he has been hitting the bottle.
I think it is so generous of people to do this - obviously for the neighbours to enjoy. And us - thanks to you Naomi:)

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 4:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love the new word you invented (on my blog) sun "strewaming." It's a mix of stewing and warming, which is what the sun was doing!

The woman pictured on my fall hiking post is not my mother. I explained in a comment that she is a long time friend (who is my mother's age), a fellow writer, an environmentalist, animal rights activist, and former Waldorf kindergarten teacher. We used to put out a publication together during the first Iraq war called The Bell: A Call to Peace.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 6:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is nice to see some hand made (and rather well done!) decorations. I cannot abide those horrible Wal Mart purchased things people cover their lawns with. And I am especially enjoying seeing these as I am missing doing our Halloween party for grown-ups this year; since we've moved I don't know enough folk to invite! Next year...

The ghosties are cute, too.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 11:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

omg there for a sec i thought u were in peachtree city at my moms taking pics she still puts things up and really no littles ones around anymore. i think the youngest at home now is 12 so yeah she still puts halloween stuff. thanks for the post now im gonna call her!

kisses

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 11:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

First I would like to thank you for taking the time and sharing all this Halloween decorations, they are so good. I can't imagine decorating my yard that much, but thank goodness not everyone feels this way, I do decorate but not elaborate.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 1:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The best part of those decorations is the wooden ghost fence, I love it! But those straw stuffed scarecrow people come a close second! I'm still deciding what to do to decorate my house this year. I haven't done anything for the past few years as I didn't have any little children at home, but both my little grandboys are trick or treating from my house on Saturday! I'll be posting pics of them in their costumes I expect!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 2:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Yooohooooooo....Naomi ;) What a fun-filled post during the day that is hehehehe....I love the fence but will have second thoughts if I visit this neighbourhood at night seeing all the scarecrows 'hanging' around the compound heheheheh :D

Sorry been absent for a while here Noami but you know I think about you and Seemah always :D

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 5:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How much fun! We don't have so many decorations this year in our neighborhood. Shame. Life ought to be full of little celebrations.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 8:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just "wow!". That is something else!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 9:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

LOL -- I love those fat scarecrows! That's hilarious! :)

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 10:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Can you imagine passing this home at nighttime, when the scarecrows look like people hiding in the hills? Btw, they're wonderfully made! The expression on the mother (next to the child) is priceless! Sad but what a work of art!! Thanks for sharing, Naomi!

Boo!...and beware of ghosts!! :)

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 12:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How WILL you sleep at night? LOL

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 6:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

the ghost fence is fantastic!!
I am really enjoying all your Halloween posts, thank you

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 6:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The whole scene is such a work of art! And truly must be quite the labor of love. I'm so in love with that ghost fence...definitely want to try making one for our yard someday.

What fun! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos!

Saturday, October 31, 2009 at 4:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love all the photos! Thank you for taking the time to post them all!

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 8:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Some people go to a lot of trouble don't they?

Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 4:18:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.