Friday, September 25, 2009
emmys

I know I should have a lot to say about The Emmys, but I don't really. I am thrilled that "Mad Men" won for Outstanding Drama, once again....I feel it is well deserved on every level, and that it is not an accident that it was up for four of the five Writing Awards, and won that too. If you haven't seen it, do rent the first two seasons.....that is a great way to see this superbly-produced-in-every-way show.....I was very very happy that "Grey Gardens" won for Outstanding Movie Made For Television.....That was a category I voted in and it was a very difficult category because all five films were 'outstanding'......But after much consideration, "Grey Gardens" was my choice. Three of the five films were seen on HBO and so there were no commercials to interrupt the flow and build of the story....To see the other two films without the commercials that interrupted them when originally broadcast was really important for me because in both cases the films were much much better than I had thought they were when they were first broadcast. So once again, it convinced me that the interruption of commercials throughout a film is really a bad bad way to see that film, especially films that have a lot to say that is important....like "Prayers For Bobby".And I was very pleased that Jessica Lange came away with the Emmy for Outstanding Actress in a Movie or Miniseries Made For Television.....That was a very very tough category too, because of the extremely high quality of performances that were nominated. It made this second 'performer' category in which I voted, a very difficult one. Drew Barrymore was magnificent, too, in "Grey Gardens" as was Siqourney Weaver in "Prayers For Bobby", (a very very fine film, and very much worth renting)....and having to choose who was my first choice was a very difficult one. But it seemed to me, after careful and thoughtful consideration, that Jessica Lange had the most difficult of tasks of all these women, and was beyond brilliant in the execution of these tasks.....And, incidentally, I loved her acceptance speech, too!The other 'performer' category that I voted in was Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie.....for me, Shohreh Aghdashloo was the truly outstanding performance and she was my number one choice, in a very disturbing and difficult film to have to watch---The four hour Miniseries "House Of Saddam". I had not seen it when it was originally broadcast, by choice----the subject matter was rather abhorrent to me. But, having to watch this turned out to be a very interesting and fairly enlightening experience, plus, Ms. Aghdashloo's performance was so truly truly exceptional.....And I was very happy for Toni Colette, who won for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. A "surprise" win, only because most people thought it would be Tina Fey, once again, for "30 Rock". That Toni Colette walked away with this Award for "The United States of Tara" was a hopeful sign to me that there was no 'rubber stamping' in this category. I personally like and admire all the actresses in this category, but I thought that Toni Colette's very complex job as an actress, playing a women with four or five personalities, was a tour-de-force. This was not a category I voted in so I was even more pleased with her 'win'.I loved Ken Howard's acceptance speech for his Emmy as Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries Or Movie Made For Television....(Another "Grey Gardens" win....) He thanked the woman who gave him a Kidney nine or ten years before, allowing him to still be alive and to continue his career and, especially, to be a part of this outstanding project.....He also thanked his wife and said it was her Birthday, so this Emmy was her present. His words moved me. I worked with him many years ago in the series "White Shadow" in which he played the leading character who was a High School Basketball Coach...(one of my many tiny 'nurse' parts.....) So it was great to see him receive this recognition thirty three-plus years later.....And to think, if he had not been able to get that Kidney, he would not be here at all. That's real "drama" and very moving, too.On the whole, the rest of the Awards, with few exceptions, were fairly predictable---except maybe for Kristen Chenoweth (above), who won for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series in a show that is no longer on the air....Good for her and Good for The Academy Voters...In all honesty I hardly understood a word of her emotional speech but found her very honest heartfelt tears quite touching.....And Cherry Jones, one of the great actresses of this generation who is always outstanding in anything she does, won for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for "24". Again, kudos to the Voting members for recognizing these two wonderfully talented women, both of whom are Tony Award Winners, as well. The 'Broadway stage' was where Cherry Jones made her name---on Broadway and on 'the road', too....I have seen her on stage and she is powerful....And very true of Kristen Chenoweth, as well....She starred in the Original Broadway Cast of "Wicked", and was utterly beguiling and absolutely delightful.....I thought Neil Patrick Harris was a fantastic breath of fresh air, particularly in the opening musical number which was brilliantly written and brilliantly performed by him. Having seen him 'Host' this past June's Tony Awards, I was not surprised at his wonderful talents and abilities in this hardest-of-jobs. But as to the overall show, I am in the minority in my feelings about it, from what I can gather, and that's okay with me....All of this is just my opinion anyway.......But, having said that.......I found the show very disjointed and it got off to a rough start for me...and it never did seem to get any kind of a real 'pace' going....it seemed to have three beginnings and every time it felt like they were off and running, it faltered with some unnecessary "bit" that really didn't work.....I did love that for the second year in a row, they have found original and amusing ways to tell us ALL the names of the many writers for A Variety, Music or Comedy Series.....These were great fun and another breath of fresh air, to me.I have said before that The Red Carpet part of these evenings doesn't interest me the way it does many many people....Oh, I love seeing what people are wearing but I don't need two hours of all that, so for me, it is The Awards that I want to see and that truly interest me. I was amazed that the whole show only went over-time by three minutes considering all the many so called comedy 'bits' that were thrown in the mix. I did find it very disturbing that the last Award which is considered the most important Award of the evening---Outstanding Drama Series----that that very last Award accepted by the incredibly talented Matthew Weiner creator of "Mad Men" and speaking for "Mad Men" was urged to 'wind it up' practically before he even started speaking! He was not going to do that. He went on, in spite of that, and good for him that he did.......For me, what people have to say when they win---These are the most important moments of the evening....for them and for us.....Give them and us their moments, please, please, please......! (Matthew Weiner below......)One last bit of carping on my part....I didn't mind the Orchestra being on stage---they all were dressed appropriately....(BTW: What is this new thing of 'no tie at all' that some of the men are doing....Uhhh?....Just for one night you could put on a tie, no???......) Back to the Orchestra: I really really hated that the Orchestra Leader/Conductor had a baseball cap on.....So, so, so not okay with me. Even when the band used to be in the pit and they would show the "leader", whoever it was, he always had a tux on and was dressed-up like everyone else, and no cap of any kind----PLUS, one more thing: The bells and whistles of all those colorful panels frantically moving about throughout the first musical number, OY!....So very busy......well, maybe it read better in the theatre.....Anyway....I'm glad that so very many people enjoyed The Emmys this year---and I certainly enjoyed quite a lot of it, myself. And I think Neil Patrick Harris should be the permanent host for the next umpteen years....Good Job Well Done, 'Doogie'.....! He really is an incredibly talented young man and can seemingly do anything and everything as a performer! Bravo Neil and BRAVO to The Television Academy......

Hmmmmm. I guess I had a lot more to say about all this than I thought....lol.......Well, That's Show Business!




More To Come.........







28 Comments:
had this to say:

It seems fairly obvious to me that if most of the people and shows you voted for won, that you really have a good eye for this and know what you are doing. And good job!

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 2:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I havent seen the Emmy's but I heard that Neil Patrick Harris did an awesome job. I also thought that Toni Collete deserved that award. I've seen the whole first season of United States of Tara and I think she was awesome!

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 2:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello Naomi. The comment with the name Odd Roald was me. I was using Odd's PC and I didn't realised that his google account wasn't logout. Sorry for the inconvenience. TC

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 2:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sorry I missed the show,Bad Patti, but enjoyed your review. I have been a fan of Ken Howard since White Shadow. Sorry,but I didn't know to look for you then.
I had watched Grey Gardens on your recommendation as well at Taking Chance. I thought Grey was such a hard to imagine, depressing tale of the downward spiral of those ladies. Marvelously acted but oh so sad. Taking Chance was an hour and 40 minute cry.I had no idea.
So glad Doogie did a great job.
You voted well.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 4:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You are always a great "review" for the Oscars and Emmy's lol.. our very own reporter! hehe..
I do agree the red carpet is getting to be longer than the show itself! geez!

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 5:25:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I only caught parts of the show, I was busy doing other things around the house. I liked Neil Patrick Harris as host and I'm glad Grey Gardens and Lange were recognized. Both she and Barrymore absolutely nailed their parts. I recently rented the original documentary with the real people to compare against Lange and Barrymore's portrayals and it was uncanny how exact they were in their looks, voices, body movements and delivery of their lines. I've never seen anything like it before.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 5:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

LOVE Neil Patrick Harris and though the did a bang up job as well!
I need to watch Mad Men , have heard so much about it! Grey Gardens also.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 6:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! I thought the show was a little disjointed, too.

But, NPH stole the show! That guy kills me.

Miss you over at the MEET n' GREET... Hope you are doing great!

Cheers!
Tanya (aka NetChick)

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 8:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have heard nothing but good reviews of the Toni Collete (yay! an Aussie!) series - I hope to one day see in on the screens here in the UAE. I adore Jessica Lange so I am glad she won.

And Doogie Howser hosted the Emmys? Wow. Who would've thought that 20 years ago? *heehee*

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 10:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jessica lange is just the best actress in the world, in my eyes!

Great photos and report as usual Naomi. :)

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 3:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Now I HAVE to watch the movie-made-for-TV version of Grey Gardens. The document was interesting but I want to see what Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange bring to the picture. They're both wonderful actresses. Btw, Drew B. looks stunning in that gown!

I keep hearing about Mad Men. I must check that out as well.

I wish I knew more about the Emmy's but I've missed out on a lot of TV lately...especially with Netflix movies popping into my mailbox so often!

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend! Let me know if you see anything interesting (and I don't just mean movies or TV programs...but ANYTHING!). :)

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 3:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh thank you very much for this review. I could not watch them this year, so you made my day. thanks for sharing and also for coming by. Have a great weekend.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 4:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, in spite of trying hard to stay awake for that show, I fell asleep. I was surprised at how well Doogie sang. He will always be Doogie to me.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 5:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love awards shows and enjoyed every minute of this one, especially Jessica Lange's win. I actually met her once at a Washington Peace March where she spoke out against the Iraq war. I saw her standing on a side walk watching the parade and I went up and gave her a poem I wrote "Dream for President Bush" and she said "Thank you."

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 5:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

PS I'm going to rent Mad Men. I have just recently discovered Sex in the City and love it. As I was watching, I kept wanting to see what some of those women would be like after menopause and lo and behold Samantha went into early menopause after chemo for breast cancer. So my wish came true and that part helped the show speak to more women.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 5:23:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Thanks to you I don't feel completely out of touch although many of the names are unfamiliar. At least I watched and relished 'Mad Men' and was familiar with 'Grey Gardens'.
I've always admired Jessica Lange - she seems ageless and I share your dislike of tieless men.When they appear on BBC on a Sunday tieless I wonder what we are coming to. To me it shows a lack of respect.
I love the photo of the girl in a long full evening dress.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 2:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the recap on the Emmys. I was interrupted from watching them soon after the program started and was unable to see the rest of the show. Didn't think to record it as deliberately broke myself of that habit several years ago when I realized I was watching too much TV by adding taped programs.

I was especially interested in your take on the Emmys since I read the ratings had increased after three years of decline and I knew they had a new production team this year.

I may have to capitulate and get cable or a satellite dish so I can watch more of those specials and drama shows instead of waiting until they're released on DVD. I do want to see "Grey Gardens," but then any of the productions that are more like plays attract me.

I've always thought interruptions in plays, movies do alter the effect. I recall when commercial TV would actually show some productions with ads run only at the beginning with an announcement this was courtesy of the advertiser who agreed sustaining the mood and timing of the show was an important story telling component. Our TV station had a film editor who carefully edited all movies for insertion of commercials at the most propitious time so as to minimally disturb the stories flow. Boy, are those days long gone.

I wonder what you think of "The Therapist" I think it's called. Am debating whether or not to rent the DVDs.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 3:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What more to say? I basically agree with all you said. The baseball cap was so UGH and ties--YES. Come on, boys! I found the event dull, but I can't put my finger on why I feel that way. It was forgettable to me. Maybe I am so used to outrageous outbursts or flubs that the smoothness struck me. LOL (I'll bet you were a wonderful nurse :)

Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 9:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't get to see the Emmy's this year, Naomi.... Thanks for the commentary, loved it.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 12:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!! I enjoyed your take on the Emmy's. I have always liked Jessica Lange, so glad to see her win! I agree about the cap and the ties. Good grief! It seems that they could be classy on this one night, or at any important event. I also get angry when they try to cut them short and not let them speak after winning. As you said, it is their moment. I hate commercials and that's one reason I don't watch a lot of TV. I know they have to have them, BUT..they are more and more of them than ever, and I just get sick of them.

Sorry you didn't like last week's church sign. I don't write them..just photo them! I think it was saying that you can't just wish for things, that you have to use your backbone and work for them, so I agree with that.

Hope you are doing well and Sweetie too!! (I think it's time for a Sweetie photo - hint, hint!!). He is so beautiful after all!!

Hugs to you dear lady,
Rachel

Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 7:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i always enjoy your take on the Emmy's ... and it's fun to hear how you voted ...

neat side note re White Shadows - i used to watch that years back ...

this year i found the "good bye" segment, especially sad ... i guess because so many of the ones who died, i grew up watching - or they were my age ... the song and pics got me all teary ...

Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 8:19:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

We don't get to see the show over here, so thanks so much for this post, Naomi!!

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 2:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How interesting to read about this award - with great pics - from an expert like you Naomi - thanks for sharing.

We don't have the show in Norway, but I do remember Cherry Jones as 24 is one of my fave.

Happy Sunday :-)

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 6:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! What a great post, Naomi! You always do a great review for the Oscar and Emmy's! I would love to see many series and movies you select.
Love Jessica Lange and Toni Colette, too!
Have a nice Sunday!

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 7:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't like the turning each genre into a little mini show of its own
that seemed pointless

otherwise I enjoyed this telecast more than I have any other in a long time

Neil Patrick Harris is wonderful
as you said he seems to be able to do anything

I was most happy for Toni Collette, she is amazing in that show!

I have to rent Mad Men

thanks for all the great info

oh - I loved the show White Shadow and I remember any nurse they ever had was hot!! ;)

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 4:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Neil Patrick Harris was a breathe of fresh air so different from the usual and yes I hope he stays around for a long time I did so enjoy these awards which was great.

Great comments..

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 5:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi what a wonderful read that was! Now I have to go watch all these films. How exciting to be aprt of the voting and it seems you were right on the money. I as thrilled that Aussie Toni won. She is a great actress even though I am not sure whether I like the show she is in. Its hard to get used to so many characters. And I love Ken Howard in anything he does. That was so interesting about the kidney transplant too. Thanks for the great post. I didnt get to watch the Emmys but I feel like I did. Thanks for your support of late and now I have to catch up on your blog. I have missed it.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 10:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't watch the emmys this year, but of course I thought of you when they were coming up. I knew you had most likely participated in voting for some categories, and I was eager to see what you might write about them. You did not disappoint!

I got the scoop straight from you, and I'm thrilled that Man Men won some emmys!!!

I had watched Grey Gardens on your recommendation, and I loved it, so I'm thrilled about the wins received by it and for Jessica Lange.

I LOVE Neil Patrick Harris. I think he is greatly talented. He starred in an internet musical called Dr. Horrible... that Courtney showed me. We both really loved it. Really good songs and humor.

I was really into the show Pushing Daisies which Kristen C. starred in. It was a very different kind of show, and I loved the look of it and the strange story and premise. I wish it was still on.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 1:27:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.