Tuesday, June 16, 2009
france - 1969 part 11

After we got home from that lovely afternoon at the Picasso's, Olga realized she had left her purse at their house....So she called that evening to try to figure out how she could get her purse back. Well, it turned out that they---The Picasso's----were going to be at The Madoura Gallerie that next afternoon for a 'special' reception for Picasso and as luck would have it, we were going to be there, as well. So they said they would bring Olga's purse with them and we would meet up with them right there at the Gallerie. So, I got to see the Picasso's for a second time that very next day---talk about an unexpected bonus....So the next day we lazed around some and then after a bit of a swim and some lunch............we got dressed and drove to Vallauris to the Madoura Gallerie.....There were quite a few people there because it was, after all, a reception for Picasso. And there was a photographer at this reception...I have no idea where he was from or why he was taking pictures, but he was. Going from left to right.....Mme. Ramie, me, Fran Shapiro---a young woman who worked in the Art Office in Manhattan for Al Lerner who was Daddy Joe's Curator....(She and her sister were visiting France and were staying at The Belle Rive Hotel in Juan-les-Pins....), I don't know who that lady was next to her, but then Daddy was way over on the right......And below....a closer look at Mme. Ramie and me...... Then below....a picture of Picasso and me.....In truth, it was not just of the two of us, but I cropped it so it looks like it is..... It was really a picture of Picasso and me and Daddy Joe....Pretty nice memento, too, I must say...... You can see that cigarette in my right hand if you look
carefully....Amazing to me now that I ever smoked at all.....And as I have said before, it was just a year and a few months later that I stopped smoking for good....So, it has been almost 39 years now that I am now smoke-free...... Above...another close-up of Mme Ramie and me....This too is a picture that I cropped. Here below is the full picture..... Mme. Ramie, me....that same lady that I do not know, and Daddy and Olga....That purse I am carrying was the purse I bought that very first day in Antibes because the strap on my purse had broken----if any of you can remember waaaay back to that very first French Trip Post.....I used this white purse, day in and day out, the entire three weeks I was there....! I love this picture of Daddy Joe, standing in between Picasso and Mme. Ramie.....He is sooooo enjoying himself, isn't he? Here above....Fran Shapiro and Olga, talking to Picasso....I am leaning over doing something---but I'm not sure what----and then Daddy and then another lady who was there but I have no idea who she was......And then, below, this last picture that the photographer took...... Fran, Olga, Picasso, Me, and Daddy Joe.......The Photographer who was snapping away may have been taking pictures for the Madoura's records or for one of the newspapers-----I honestly do not know. But a few weeks later, after I was back home in Los Angeles, Olga sent me some of the pictures that were sent to them by the photographer or Mme. Ramie, of that special reception that afternoon at The Madoura Gallery. They are kind of wonderful pictures because the photographer was a "professional" and though they were candid---he didn't have trouble with the 'light', the way I did, plus....they were all taken inside.....

We spent quite a lot of time there and of course looked at all the Ceramics---this was the same show we had seen a week or so before when I bought the two pieces that I just had to have.....We went outside onto this balcony-type area and lots of people were out there.....I took quite a few pictures that afternoon, too, and of course prayed they would come out.... I don't know who that man is standing next to Picasso....but the young lady in red was Jacqueline's friend, who we had met the day before at their home....Here below another shot of the same group....... I wish I knew who that man is right next to Picasso.....I know they were all French and having a wonderful time conversing.....
And above, there is Suzanne Ramie talking to Picasso....their friendship and partnership in the Ceramics went back to the mid 1940's after Picasso came to visit the factory and fell in love with the creation of ceramics....And, in fact, this is where Picasso first met Jacqueline because she worked for the Ramie's right there at the factory and Gallerie..... Another picture of Picasso, surrounded by lots of people....I very much like taking candid pictures.....In fact, I prefer them actually...So, it didn't bother me that Picasso's back was to the camera.....Then....someone took a picture of me, using my camera I'm grateful to say....Probably Olga...... This was, I believe Mme. Ramie's husband Georges, next to me....they started the Ceramic Factory together, many many years before....and then of course, Mme. Ramie on the other side of me, then Daddy Joe, and then Fran Shapiro....Suzanne Ramie was a lovely gracious woman and I liked her very very much. I think her husband was quite ill at that time and was not spending as much time there at the factory..... This is really the same picture uncropped.....I wanted you to see the full length of what I was wearing.....and the color.....It was the "style" of the day, those wide-bell-bottoms---very very late 1960's..... And one last picture of Picasso and Suzanne Ramie....It was quite something to get a second opportunity to snap a few photographs of Picasso again.....I wish I had been able to get some more, but....I'm happy to have these.....even though the early afternoon light washed out the colors somewhat, but...having whatever I do have is better than having no pictures at all....!




More To Come.......


NOTE: This is probably the last French Trip post....there are a few other pictures and I will see.....I have enjoyed going back to this very wonderful time, especially with the 'present' being not so wonderful.....I thank you all for your lovely comments about these posts and for your emotional support during this very difficult time.........Frankly, I wish I had 100 more pictures to share with you from this most special special trip.....But alas, I don't.







29 Comments:
had this to say:

A big wow and thanks for sharing your travels with us.. They are amazing and make great stories.. Right now with money beign so tight I dont think I will have that kind of memories for the time being.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 1:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for taking us all on the trip; to be a part of your wonderful holiday in southern France in 1969. I have enjoyed it very much so and I know I am not the only one!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 3:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

NOOOOO!!! Not the end?? Oh well,I can only be grateful for the lovely, detailed and photographed trip you gave us and the insight to such amazing, talented people. Thank you.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 6:47:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I join those regretting the end of this series. Surely you can come up with a few more of these.
I hope so.

Cheers.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 9:48:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I can't believe you have so many photos from your trip and what a trip it was... I can hardly get Stephen to snap ten or twenty pictures. If I were going to the fabulous places he gets to go... well, I would need several 4GB cards and many rechargeable batteries.

How exciting.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 1:16:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

How I wish I'd been in the South of France in 1969! (lol) Things would be different now!!!

We're all with you when your "world goes awry", and as the sunshine replaces our "June Gloom", we hope it will likewise bring a brighter future for our very favorite Blogger.

the fat lady

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 4:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, let me just say, Picasso was not the only star in the show...you and your outfits are stunning! I love your clothes, and even your everyday white purse. I have one of those NOW.

Picasso, France, your time with Daddy Joe...who wants it all to end? Luckily, you have this all posted so you can revisit any time you'd like...and so can I.

Thanks again for sharing, Naomi, and I hope you're having a better day today! :)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 6:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have loved reading about your French trip, Naomi. And I love the bell bottomed pants! Be good to yourself, and give yourself a hug.
xox

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 7:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I really have enjoyed reading these posts...love the photos, and the glimpse of days gone by...Picasso...wow...I'm in awe. :)

Kendra

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 7:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, have you ever shared these photos with Picasso historians? I am sure they would LOVE to see them.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 9:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great that you have these photos to trigger your memories and such a unique special time in your life. Thanks for sharing them here.

Do hope you're doing well as can be.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 11:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I would so love to be able to travel through time and be there on that day. I'm surprised you haven't been contacted yet for a book deal on the story of your life.

Or have you?

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 12:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW!...WOW! Picasso! I'm just sitting here drooling at the thought!

Your sense of style is fabulous! Fabulous!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 6:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi,
I enjoyed so much your series about France. Two days with Picasso! Wow! That was great!
I am also amazed because you have so many photos and all them in good shape.
You did a great job with this series! Thanks for sharing them!
Have a lovely day!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 12:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am sad the French posts are ending but very very thankful you got it all there with all your amazing pictures and words.I always remember Mark looking at the picture on your bookshelves with Picasso and you saying on that is me with Picasso haha the look on his face was priceless ( better then when he saw the squirrel even !!)
Hugs and more hugs to you,sending your lots of love I know you are sad right now,I wish I could do more !

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 3:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Imagine being so glamarous back in 1969 :) Absolutely stunning I must say and you have so many wonderful stories to share, thank you :)

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 8:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

all i can say is that you must have had all the young frenchmen chasing you!

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 4:31:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

How cool. Love the sunglasses and bell bottoms too.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 10:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I absolutely adore your blue bell-bottomed jump suit! I had one somewhat similar, in black, and I thought I looked smashing in it!
Thank you dear Naomi, for sharing your memories of your holiday in France. I think that you have had a lot of fun scanning the photos and putting the stories together. I have really enjoyed seeing your pictures, and getting to know Daddy Joe and Olga! And Picasso too. Hugs!

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 5:44:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow! That is just awesome especially meeting up with one of the greatest artists in the world. This is so wonderful and lovely like a history book that you'll never get bored of reading. Thanks for the lovely trip.

And lastly, you looked so stunning there. And I agree that your style is definitely faboosh and ferosha!

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 1:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Incredible memories and to have all the photos as well. What a book it would make. I love the beautiful blue of your outfit and the bell bottoms. They suit you! Wonderful trip, just amazing, thanks for sharing.

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 4:08:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

This was a fab vacation and I have enjoyed your posts!! You are so organized, you have so many pictures. I also admire you remembering so many details. And I love that blue jump suit !

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 7:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love your bell bottomed jumpsuit too!! You look great in it! I like how it is made at the top too.

I sure have enjoyed this France series and hate to see them end. What a fascinating time for you! I know sharing this has brought back so many memories for you and that special time in your life.

Take care of yourself Naomi. Big hugs to you and dear Sweetie!! :)

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 8:19:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

You have a wonderful collection and we are all grateful for the time you took to record such momentous happenings when it would have been so much easier to just enjoy the company.
You look stunning in those bell bottoms.
I hope it ie getting a little easier.xxox

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 1:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These France posts are so readable, interesting and historical educative Naomi. You should give lectures at univercities!

Coming from Europe and Norway, its so interesting to read about the experiences, reflections and adventures through you - thanks for sharing and for taking your time to collect all this - and well documented with great pics too!

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 4:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I shall miss the France post series naomi. Love that pant suit and sunglasses, you were a looker!

How fun to have spent time with Picasso

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 7:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Este Lauder I'm so jealous and I hope you still have that compact. This is so wonderful I will miss the trip as well for I have lived vicariously through you.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 11:05:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great, great photos!
LOVED that blue jumpsuit you're wearing, Naomi. You certainly were quite the fashion plate!
And I DO remember your purse strap breaking on one of the first posts. Question: Do you STILL have that white French purse?
All through these final posts one song has been running through my mind, "These Were the Times of Our Life." And they certainly were YOURS!

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 2:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You look SO chic! I love the pantsuit!!!!
Picasso two days in a row... amazing!

:-)

I've thought of you often lately, and I hope you've seen Kim by now. I know time with her will bring some much needed healing and comfort to your very broken heart.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:05:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.