Saturday, February 21, 2009
oscar

This is it. This is the BIG night! I LOVE the Oscars---I always have, and I always will.......! I can remember listening to The Academy Awards on "The Radio", (Anyone remember 'Radio' when that was all we had and we were THRILLED to have that....?) back in 1950, when "ALL ABOUT EVE" won Best Picture. I have never missed an Oscar Ceremony....even when I was traveling----I Was Taping! So....here we are. February 22, 2009....About to see who will win the Oscars for 2008. Here are my picks and also who I think will win----here and there these are the same. But mostly, they are not. My picks differ from who I think will win.....But I could be wrong about all of it! (lol)Let's start with BEST PICTURE.....A Slam Dunk, for "SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE".....Is this the picture I want to win? Well, yes. AND, I think it is the picture that WILL win, as well.....I could be wrong about that, but I honestly don't think so. "SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE"BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR.......Heath Ledger and Heath Ledger. He Was Brilliant. A daring brave performance.....a truly courageous performance that rises above everything.....and that is not to say that the other nominees were not good....They were ALL good---some GREAT----Robert Downey, JR., etc......But Heath Ledger was in another realm. And, by the way, this is a film I would never go and see....It's just not my kind of film. The only reason I watched it was because of Heath Ledger. AND, He Did Not Disappoint. BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: My Pick...VIOLA DAVIS for "Doubt". Will she win? Well, I am not sure about that. I think she SHOULD win. She gave a perfect 'supporting actress' performance, in every way. She is beyond memorable....Her performance was searing. She breaks your heart. You believe she is that woman. And in fact, it was like she wasn't/isn't an actress, at all. She Was That Woman--She Was That Mother. And....if Kate Winslet had not been in the WRONG Category for The Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild, we might know better which of the Supporting Actresses nominated might win. (And I mean a truly "Supporting", not "Lead" actress.....) So, this category would not be such a question mark because we would have seen certain trends---not that THAT means anything....lol....The Academy Voters are unique in their picks. So.....Who WILL win? Well, this is difficult. Maybe Taraji Henson OR maybe, just maybe Penelope Cruz.....But, Viola Davis should win, in my view. Hands Down, and I hope she does....She could, if people are being true to the 'craft' and to themselves in their heart......BEST ACTOR.....My pick is MICKEY ROARKE.....I thought he was superb in "The Wrestler". The whole movie is really wonderful and everyone in it is wonderful, too....Mickey Roarke has been to Hell and back and has returned in a film that is surprisingly moving and beautifully rendered. And he is so very moving, himself. I think he could win, but, then again....it might be Sean Penn. That is the "conventional wisdom"....but one never knows with The Academy....It could also be Frank Langella, who's performance as 'Nixon' was really quite stunning. So many good good performances this year.BEST ACTRESS.....Well, the "conventional wisdom" here is Kate Winslet, for all sorts of reasons....Me? I am of two minds. There is the Great Meryl Streep. Even though I had a bit of a problem with the film....
Still, Meryl Streep is quite extraordinary.....I also had a bit of a problem with 'The Reader'. And I had a huge problem with Kate Winslet being in the wrong category for The Golden Globes and for Screen Actors Guild, as mentioned above. She was in the Supporting Actress category and that was terribly unfair to the other actresses because she is 'the star' of 'The Reader"....her name is above the title! That is NOT a Supporting part.....She won both a Golden Globe and the SAG Award for 'The Reader' in this wrong category---That is enough. Meryl Streep has not won an an Oscar since 1984.....it's time. But, they say Kate Winslet will take this years Best Actress Oscar home. We shall see.......
DARK HORSE: Long Shot, but a huge possibility---Melissa Leo, for "Frozen River".....The Academy loves the Underdog, you know....And I mean, someone who gives a brilliant performance but who is not a household name.....She is my second pick---And you know what? She might just be the one taking home that Best Actress Oscar....And lastly.....BEST DIRECTOR. I think it will be Danny Boyle for "SLUMDOG"......That is my pick and I think it will be The Academy's pick, too. Enough Said.I am SOOOOOO looking forward to Hugh Jackman's Hosting this year.....He is such a powerful performer---he can sing and dance and he is easy on the eyes, to say the least...They say there will be a lot of surprises in this years show.....I look forward to all of it!
I am not so much about the Red Carpet as I am about The Awards themselves....For me, what makes the show are The Awards, which is what it was originally all about. The Red Carpet is kind of fun, though it is so studied now---we never see any "costumes" like we used to in the old days.....(Remember Cher in that see-through outrageous outfit? I really do miss those days.....lol!) But, I look forward to the whole thing and it all takes place just down the hill from me--literally...it is five minutes from me. Weird, isn't it? I'll be watching...and I hope you will be too!


And in contrast: Going back almost 70 years, the list of films that were up for BEST PICTURE, 1939 were: "Dark Victory" (Bette Davis), "Goodbye Mr. Chips" (Robert Donat & Greer Garson), "Love Affair" (Irene Dunne & Maria Ouspenskaya), "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" (Jimmy Stewart & Harry Carey & Claude Rains), "Ninotchka" (Greta Garbo), "Of Mice And Men", "Stagecoach", "Wizard Of Oz", "Wuthering Heights" (Laurence Olivier & Geraldine Fitzgerald), "Gone With The Wind" (Clark Gable & Vivien Leigh & Hattie McDaniel & Olivia DeHavilland).The Best Picture was "GONE WITH THE WIND". The films in Red are all classic films, still, right now, 69 years later....and all of the other 1939 films are still great great pictures. The films of 1939 were probably the greatest year in Motion Picture History. And by the way....the names in parentheses are the Acting Nominees that year from each picture, and the names in Blue are the people who took the Oscar home.Here is my question: Do you think any of the Best Picture of 2008 Nominees will be thought of as "Classics" 69 years from now? My personal opinion? I don't think so....Of course, I won't be around to see....Still, the list of films from 1939 were truly exceptional in every way and I don't believe there was another year quite like it in the History Of The Academy Awards........I will follow up after the Awards....!



More To Come.......


NOTE: IF YOU USE FIREFOX, THE TEXT MAY BE JUMBLED UP. USE INTERNET EXPLORER OR SAFARI, PLEASE.....THANKS SO MUCH.







22 Comments:
had this to say:

I will getting up to watch all the "pre" Oscar stuff at 8 in the morning monday for me, the actual Awards start at 2pm.
I wish I was watching with others and having a party but it will be lots of coffee and the dog LOL
Have a great Oscar day Aunty Em !!

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 9:50:00 PM PST 

Blogger Bud
had this to say:

A huge night for you Naomi, enjoy....I'm just getting into Netflix...will save your posts for future viewing. Hugs, Bud

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 1:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I had to work and also since they are switching us from anaolog to digital we dont have much of a signal anymore.. Nice picks though.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 3:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love the Oscar too! What a GREAT night! I hope you enjoy this wonderful event!

Well done, you did a amazing post, as always!
A big hug to you.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 4:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can't wait to see how accurate your predictions are and I must say I mostly agree with your views, especially where Kate Winslet is concerned. She is a good actress for sure but it is unfair to have put here in the wrong category. I suspect it was done for political reasons.

I like Hugh Jackman too. So talented and such eye candy too - especially since he's been working out for his new movie! LoL!

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 4:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can't wait to see the Oscars, even though have not seen any of the movies.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 7:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I just watched a portion of the Oscars, kind of rare for me to do that, but I did... :) Now I'm back to the computer.

Interesting thing about your browser thing (Firefox vs. IE), if I come in on just your blog link (http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.com/), yes, it's jumbled. If I come on a link to a post directly (http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.com/2009/02/oscar.html), then it's fine. Just thought you'd find that interesting.

xoxo

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 7:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This Oscar show worked for us. Hugh Jackman did an amazing job. Even if he wasn't dressed quite the way you have him in this blog. LOL
I thought Alicia Keys looked amazing.
A couple of the older women- I think they need to get a bit more comfortable with the aging process. Take a cue from Meryl Streep. Who was effortlessly elegant.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 9:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You were spot on with some of your predictions here Naomi - but of course you were. You're up there in the know...

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 11:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It was a great Oscar night. I also had Viola Davis. Oh well. I'm so glad you mentioned 1939. My husband and I have always said there will never be another movie year like that. It was like BOOM! So many great movies that are all still great. There are actually movies that won best picture since then that will be long forgotten (Gentleman's Agreement, Around the World in Eighty Days, Gigi, Tom Jones, Shakespeare in Love) while that great 1939 list of nominees are still considered classics.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 12:43:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hugh Jackman did a terrific job as the host. I screamed when Kate Winslet won as Best Actress. I so love her!

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 7:05:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I cannot watch the ceremony live because of the time difference...
:(
I don't agree with the Oscar going to Penelope Cruz for playing her own loud self in Woody Allen's movie!! tsk tsk
I will be watching a review of the ceremony this afternoon

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 8:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

loved it all this year!!! I LOVED the 5 stars format presenting the acting awards...it added to the intimacy and glamour of the event. I loved Hugh's presence...
Can't wait to read your commentary Naomi.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 9:22:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow, you did very well with your picks for the night, and also with your personal choices. I love reading your opinion all all things film, and take your movie suggestions to heart.

As for any of the films being classics 50 years from now, I agree with your thoughts. Many good films, but not sure they'll stand the endurnace test to render them classic.

I watched everything awards from 2:00 p.m. until well after the awards were over, and then again very early this morning. I am running on very little sleep after MY night at the Academy Awards.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 9:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I was reading a book and kept the Oscars on mute most of the time. I am not as excited over them as you are, but I do like to see who wins Best Supporting Actors, Best Actors, Best Movie.
Hugh Jackman is very talented.
To me, the Oscars have gotten boring. I don't know why this is exactly, but I think you may have hit it on the head when you noted the GREAT movies from 70 years ago. There are some amazing actors today and some terrific movies too, but there is something about Old Hollywood that is not being replicated these days. I can't quite explain it, but today's Hollywood just doesn't come up to what it used to be. I'm not talking about acting ability, I'm talking about the whole persona. It seems to have lost some of its magic.
Courtney went to an Oscar party last night where the college kids dressed up in fancy clothes and prizes were given out during commercials. I'm sure it was a BLAST! I'd would enjoy attending an Oscar party like that. Maybe that would add some of that magic back into the whole thing for me.
I'm quite a movie lover though, so I do watch a lot of movies. Maybe I long for something that will never be replicated again.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 11:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Awards night is the most glamourous night of the year and I enjoy watching the Oscar every year, even when I haven't seen any of the nominated movies. Like you, I watch to see who wins, hear their acceptance speeches and feel their joy. I also enjoy the presenters and the fancy outfits.

I finished watching "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" 15 minutes before the red carpet part of the show, so I was able to appreciate Penelope Cruz's moment on stage when she won BSA. She did a wonderful job playing the emotionally disturbed artist, Maria Elena, in the movie. Btw, she's a much better actress when she speaks Spanish! :)

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 1:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I don't often watch the Oscar ceremony mainly because I have never seen any of the nominated movies.... but last night I did sit down and watch most of it. I loved Hugh Jackman, and I thought he did a great job, I didn't know he could sing and dance like that! Fab!
I haven't seen Slumdog but I will ceratinly try to see it very soon.
You got most of your picks right Naomi! Clever girl! You get a gold star.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 1:39:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Naomi: I'm so glad you put the notice about Internet Explorer. I was afraid some people wouldn't know. It has always worked with Firefox before but as long as I can get here by Internet Explorer it's no problem.
We are very poorly covered with Oscar news and I love every minute of it so I'm grateful for that. I couldn't stay up after midnight to watch and I only know a few results. I hope you weren't too disappointed.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 2:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I used to go movie marathons leading up to the Oscars every year to prepare, but this year I was so busy I couldn't!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 6:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

*sigh* What I wouldn't give to have been around in the days of the Oscar's with Clark Gable.. Vivien Leigh and the like!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 10:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The only movied I'd see was "Dark Knight" ... Heath Ledger was excellent in it!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 6:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I, too, only went to see The Dark Knight because of Heath Ledger...and was amazed and transported by his acting. Sigh...

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 7:31:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.