Friday, November 28, 2008
the hawks & great news

I have been organizing my pictures quite a bit lately and I realized that there are some AMAZING Pictures of 'The Hawks' that I have never posted here on my blog.....this one above turned out this way by pure chance! The magic of circumstance often plays such a big part of capturing images with the camera. I love it! In fact I love all the pictures of the Hawks, flying or otherwise that I was able to capture....So, here are a few for your perusal.....! I love the way the feathers spread out like playing cards and the fact that you can see the light coming through them....I dearly hope there will be another Hawk Family this year.....Watching them with their babies was so amazingly wonderful..... This picture above was taken after the "babies" had learned to fly and the three of them would come to these trees on my neighbors yard....Do click on all of these to see them bigger....In this one above, I love how the one baby is looking right up at the third one, who is flying in for a landing.....! There is something quite tender about that to me.....I use to think it was the Mommy or Daddy....But I actually now realize it had to be the third baby because the wing span is just not large enough to be one of the adults in that particular picture......! Here is another fantastic look at the huge wingspan of these Hawks....Again, I LOVE the light coming through and the incredible spread of those beautiful feathers....... Above.....another amazing capture. I love seeing those legs hanging down like that.....He or She, had just taken off......And this is one of the babies in May......They were growing and changing very quickly......And below, about a month later, just before those three babies took off for parts, unknown......And below, one more picture just before 'take-off'.....it is almost like he was revving up, the way a plane does....It fascinates me that you cannot tell from a picture like this what a huge wing spread they have, once in actual flight...... Again, this photo was taken just a few days before the babies moved on to greener pastures.....what a difference a few weeks makes in the life and growth of these dear dear Hawk Babies......And here they were...."The Andrew Sisters", one month before ....Aren't they just the dearest birds you ever saw? I really became very enamored of them and would refer to them as 'My Hawk Babies', when telling people about them....There are many many more pictures and I will share some more again, very soon......





And then.........
The Great Great News that I got on Thanksgiving Day was this: My Dear friend of 40 years, the talented Hazel Medina, who was diagnosed with a rare-in-women virulent form of cancer called Multiple Myeloma a little over a year ago, was told this week that she is Cancer Free! Rejoice, Rejoice!How did this happen? I am going to tell you right now. Stem Cells. Yes. The procedure she had is called Autologous Stem Cell Implant. It is a horrendously painful procedure in every way, but.....But......BUT.....the results have been fantastic for her. Here's the deal: They 'Harvest' her own stem cells from her bone marrow....Then, they save only the 'clean' ones and freeze them to preserve them.....Before they can do this horrific procedure they have to zap her with heavy heavy duty Chemo, which pretty much kills just about everything and leaves her open to God-Know What.....then, after having Harvested these Stem Cells, they wait a day or two so she can rest, and then, they implant the 'clean' cells back into her bone marrow. Now, many months later, Hazel is Cancer Free....! This was the most wonderful news to get on a day when we giving Thanks for all our many Blessings.....This, was, to me, the best Blessing of All..... Talk about hearing "good news'" to lift the spirit and the heart! The picture just above is Hazel and her dear sweet husband, Jerry Matz, taken in Japan where he was working....He is a wonderful actor. And, the second picture is of Kim Hamilton, (you all remember her....) and me and Hay, at a little nightclub in New York City, where a wonderful singer named Eric Gillette was singing a song of mine, "In My Fathers House", which he had included in his 'act'. The very first picture was at a Luncheon I gave at The Palace Hotel. (a different trip.....in a different year.) It was a way to see a few lovely friends while in Manhattan.....And incidentally, Hazel & Kim & I all met back in 1968, at Theatre West....And here we are, 40 years later.....Hallelujah, Hallelujah!




More To Come.......














34 Comments:
Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Loved seeing 'Your Hawk Babies'!!
Wonderful news about Hazel!! we just lost a dear neighbor who fought cancer for 10 years but because of her strong convictions on natural treatments (she was a yoga instructor) she refused modern medicine...
Hug your friend!! and have a wonderful day.

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 12:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

the hawks are fantatastic Naomi..

There's no better news then that of being cancer free! I am sure Hazel went through a lot to get there and I hope for her now, that she has a wonderful rest of her life!

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 4:21:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

How amazing to have the opportunity to view nature in such a wonderful form!

Great, great news on your friend. I am such a strong supporter of stem cell research. A huge voting point for me, and I am hoping to become more involved in ensuring that studies and treatments using stem cells continue.

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 4:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Stem cell research is a wonderful thing and there have been untold successes with adult stem cells. The successes are not told very loudly since the big push is for embryonic stem cell research which so far has not resulted in much of anything. Too bad the success stories such as your friends are not shouted from the rooftops by the press. But then. That is not on their talking points is it?

Thank you for sharing your miracles.

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 5:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

First of all, WOO-HOO on the great news about your beautiful friend, Hazel! I'm thrilled to hear this! Cancer has killed all the women on my mother's side of the family, including my gorgeous 40-year old cousin, so when I hear stories like this, it gives me HOPE. Thanks for sharing, Naomi, and I wish Hazel all the best from here on out.

Secondly, do you realize how talented you are with a camera? It's as if these hawks posed for you. Seriously, I'm amazed at the beauty you were able to capture in midair. Truly spectacular!

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 6:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Such good news about Hazel. I know it was a blessed day for you to hear that good news.....

More good news on the workings of stem cells...

Have you seen any of the "babies" since they left the nest?

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 7:55:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful photos and great news for a beautiful woman. I trust you had a good Thanksgiving yourself, dear.

Cheers.

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 1:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The hawks are so lovely... and I'm so happy for you and your friend, receiving that news is so wonderful!

Happy Thanksgiving... :)

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 3:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That IS wonderful news about you friend, and I hope she continues to be cancer free!

The hawk photos are phenomenal, Naomi. I know about their wingspans, since we have had one living in our woods for 3-4 years. When he flies over the back deck, the shadow is huge!

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 6:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful news about Hazel! I love birds of prey. Bald eagles have come back to NE Ohio. We were lucky enough to see one of the eaglets just before he fledged.

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 6:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Michele told me to come back, Naomi!

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 8:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think the hawks know Naomi is watching and preform just for YOU. (Their vision is VERY good.) Great news--stem cells: the future of cures.

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 10:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Congratulations!
This is why I faithfully read your blog. You capture beauty and spirit in life. Human and otherwise.
It is sad the major news outlets are so boxed into compartmentalizing stories to fit within a box of time or space that nuance is lost- unfortunately perpetuating political prejudices over real science.
There have been HUGE breakthroughs in medical research this past decade. I am THRILLED for you and your friend. THANKYOU for sharing such wonderful news.

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 10:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I know I've been away for a while, circumstances conspire, you know.

But whenever I come back there is always some excellent news you are sharing or some wonderful photographs.
And today I got both! Will you look at those lovely hawks - so graceful and stylish.
And Hazel - are there words to describe how wonderful that must be? :-)

cq

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 1:05:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

'Hazel is cancer free.' That is joyous news and I share your delight - especially at this special time for my American friends and family.
As always the photos were sublime but the commentary always helps me to see another dimension through your eyes. Thank you:)

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 2:04:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What nice pics Naomi - your such a great nature and animal photographer. It must have taken a lot of efforts and many shots to get these scoops.

What a wonderful Thanksgiving news - I'm happy for your friend.

Wishing you a lovely weekend :-)

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 2:20:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My God, those photos are incredible, as always. Nature magazines should be beating your door down! So happy to hear the news about your friend. (Her husband looks familiar, I believe I've seen him perform at the Mark Taper.) Just goes to show you how important stem-cell research is and yet certain idiots in Washington would put a stop to all that for no good reason. Even Nancy Reagan turned against the Republican Party on that score.

Happy Thanksgiving, Naomi!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 6:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've never seen a hawk before so I'm living vicariously through yours.

So glad that Hazel is cancer-free. Yay!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 7:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, that IS Great news! I am so happy for Hazel. Miracles do happen.

Stunning photos today, they are magnificent creatures.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 8:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi,
That is such wonderful new about your friend Hazel being cancer-free :) It is such a pleasure to hear that things like that can and do happen !

Your pictures of the hawks in such detail was amazing... Book, Naomi, book... Please turn your blog into a gorgeous book ! It would have graced Rizzoli beautifully - and would be treasure for anyone to get as a present ! The whole compendium of your life as you have relayed it on these pages is fascinating.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 10:13:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I'm so happy for her diagnosis. What a wonderful thing, stem cells. Sorry it was so painful, but obviously worth it. Rejoice!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 3:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hawks are pretty but they scare me. I know it's an irrational fear, but I always think they might fly down and pluck my eyes out.

That is great news about your friend!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 4:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The hawks are absolutely stunning!

And your friend's recovery a genuine miracle!!!!!

P.S. I've added a couple mkore posts to my other blog if you're interested!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 7:23:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Than God for modern medicine! I'm so happy for you and your friend. Definitely something to be thankful for!!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 7:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How wonderful for your friend Hazel. Yes rejoice!

And your hawks are fantastic!

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 6:21:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love your hawks. They represent such freedom and LIFE....which goes SO perfectly with your news about Hazel!
I can only imagine the joy you feel. Stem cells....so vitally important! And THIS is very good proof of that! Isn't it wonderful! I'm so happy for all of you and I'm wishing your friend a great recovery. I just love to hear uplifting, positive news like this. Certainly something to be thankful for!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 7:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The hawks are gorgeous!
Thanks so much for sharing those, they really made my day.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 12:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That is GRRRREAT news for sure!!!
That gave you something super wonderful to be thankful for!!
This news is especially meaningful to me because my dear Gramilo died of multiple myeloma AND my dear father-in-law died of this same cancer also.
I knew that medical breakthroughs were being made even back when my Gramilo died from it. I had heard of even more good things happening to treat this terrible cancer when my FIL passed away from it just a couple of years ago.
I am THRILLED to hear that your dear friend is cancer free, and I pray her cancer never returns!!!!
Hazel has such a terrific smile!
I'm sure she is smiling BIG lately!!
Both you and Kim look lovely, as you both usually do in the photos you share with us.

Those hawks are incredible.
What wonders!
"The Andrew Sisters" - ha, ha, tee, hee.
Those hawk babies were too graceful for you to call them "The Three Stooges."

:-)

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 3:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great hawk photos.I also like watching them but never have seen them raise babies like that.

That was great news on your friend. It's wonderful what science can sometimes do

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 6:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am so happy to hear that Hazel has beaten this scourge. You always manage to share blessings in the most wonderful of ways, Naomi.

Your hawk pictures are just amazing. I feel their power through your photos.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 6:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oops, almost forgot: I wish every politician who has ever voted against supporting stem cell research could spend a few minutes with survivors and their families. Perhaps then they'd realize how critical this research is.

G-d forbid religious zealotry ever stands in the way of cutting edge, life saving medical research.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 6:42:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hello Naomi! Awesome photos! Reminds me of the time that I was still staying with my father. I usually see hawks around hunting. They are fabulous creatures

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 12:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What wonderful news to get! She must be so please it turned out so well after all she went though. Truly something to be thankful for :)

Yoru hawk pics are wonderful to see. They show that you observed them an awful lot and this must have been a real treat :) The last pic in particular made me smile; 'The Andrews sisters' LoL :)

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 5:25:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Are you sure those aren't the Lennon Sisters?

That's great news about your friend. I'm going to save this link and share it with a friend of mine whose dad was just diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 7:34:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.