Sunday, March 30, 2008
hollywood-sunset vine tower-part 2

When we left off....I was talking about this pretty amazing, but scary looking Ad for the film "Transformers".....I know it's colorful and all that, but.....it is so distracting and fairly annoying to look out and see something like this ruining the look of the city....! I know, I know, it's a losing battle. But one day late in May----not long after I took that picture above----The Gods got very angry at this "wrap" and a Big Huge Wind came along and look what happened!!! Please click on this tripdic because you can see all this stuff flying around....I didn't take this picture either, but I am so happy I found it.....See? This building is not supposed to have any of this crap on it....I mean, that was a very clear message.
So some four months passed and still....this building is still a skeleton. In a way, more of a skeleton, as you can see below..... Again, I would look at these pictures and wonder, what in the hell was taking so long! I mean, it looks like there is almost nothing happening..... I guess something is happening because I hadn't seen all that red stuff before....I know so little about building and what goes into it, especially if a building is being converted from an Office Building to Condominiums.... Above, a month later....! It still looks pretty much the same to me....And cause I'm not sure about that, I come in closer to see if I can see anything that is different..... Well....it all looks the same to me....! So.....I take a hiatus from taking pictures of 'the building'....I got very interested in the neighbors Chickens.....remember? And some other stuff too....And then, another almost four months went by and finally, it looks a bit different! Hard to tell what the difference actually is from these pictures, but....there is no question that a lot happened during those almost four months..... And about 10 days later....... And then came the day, a few days later, that Shawn drove me around Hollywood...We were driving down Vine Street and this is what I captured through the car window looking at the side of the building that faces North..... Ahhhhh......I think it is "glass".....That is what has finally become a part of this building.....Let's see...let's get closer..... Oh yes! It is windows....lots and lots and lots of windows....! And no more advertising.....! Hooray....! I see that there is a ways to go, but this building is starting to look really pretty, to me.....After all this time...I realize, too, that they still have a very l-o-n-g way to go on the inside of this building....But, at least there is something kind of nice to look at now....! And above, one more from inside the car.....I am liking this building more and more....It is really great to see it close-up, finally...And makes a difference in the pictures I can take, too....We continue on and get onto Sunset Boulevard.....I ask Shawn to stop so I can get a good picture standing right outside the car..... Oh Yes! This building looks really great outside the car....I Love It! And I love seeing a few lovely tall Palms, too......Here below, a little closer look..... Yeah! Still really pretty....I wonder what is happening with that center section? It's not really clear to me what is actually happening there....Let's get closer...... Hmmmm. Still not really clear, is it? I guess they still have a lot to do here....I am hoping it will all be 'revealed', soon.....But I must say, I am liking this building close up....I mean from Sunset Boulevard, etc....and not from my Deck.......lol! And then, nine days later....taken from my deck...... What? What is that over on the left?? No. Please. Don't tell me..... Please. Do. Not. Tell. Me. Four days later....Oy! It is growing, like a fungus. What's that bit of blue up there? Oy. Oy. Three days later. That patch of blue is gone. What are they doing? And Why? I guess it was too good to be true, wasn't it. Greed always seems to win out in some circles.....Below, the building, three days later on March 28th,2008.Tiny increments, once again......Here is a closer look at this center white thingy, below..... I find it fascinating that you can still see through to the city behind it, in those top upper stories, plus you can also see that each one of these white pieces is a panel or section, unto itself...I don't know, maybe this isn't more advertising----well, not advertising, yet....And below, a closer look at those top floors..... So....here below, one last picture taken on Friday, the 28th.....I will be watching this building carefully, and hopefully will be able to get down on Vine Street or Sunset, once again, to get a better and closer look, as the outside progresses..... Stay Tuned........



More To Come.........











26 Comments:
had this to say:

I want your camera and zoom!! lol.. this is incredible how you are seeing the transformation of this building, and I love watching it!! I do believe you've built a mystery in photographs!
How long will Naomi have to wait for a new photo?
What will she find next?
Will there be advertistement again?
Will it be just a beautiful building?
Stay tuned for the next adventure of: The Building on Sunset ! (if that's the street lol)

Love it Naomi! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 4:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You were able to get some nice close ups of the building when it still had some promise. I hope they don't cover the sides with those obnoxious ads. It's a beautiful building; I hope they don't dishonor it. :)

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 5:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't imagine living in such a precipitous building, let alone one that has its own advertising hoardings.....

I'm still happy in my little two up two down with MB and the felines :-)

But I'm sure the new tenants will like the lovely new condos...

cq

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 7:10:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The good news is that the building is being recycled instead of torn down and replaced anew. I think our cities would have more character if we did that. In my wife's hometown in Germany there are buildings being used today which were built in the 12th century. Talk about character and charm!

Cheers.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 7:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Maybe those white panels are solar heat collectors, Naomi. If so, it might never have ads on it - I hope. I would think that if it is going to be condos, the people who buy there would not want ads on their building. Hopefully, they would be told in advance of buying!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 7:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

nice follow up on this post Naomi. you must have a fantasic camera! Really wonderful photo work.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 7:49:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a work in progress. The thickness of the glass looked amazing on one of the early photos. Miss Marple is alive and well and living in LA:) You can never be bored.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 8:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Excellent photography, Naomi!

I was wondering about those ads that are "wrapped" around for advertising.....do the people inside the office building have dark windows, one way (look out but not in), or does the ad obscure their view of outdoors?

I can't quite grasp the concept of advertising on buildings (thank God they aren't doing it here!) - it looks horrible, is distracting, and makes advertisers look pathetic as if they can't find something else to advertise on.


Love that the wind blew off the wrap! Serves them right - it obviously did NOT belong there. LOL

Can't wait to see/hear what the finished building will be when it grows up.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 11:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Very impressive photos. I agree that ads would definitely take away from it but that is the way the current world works.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 1:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a lovely, readable and well documented post - #1 was great too! I can't believe you where able to take those pics and the details - thanks for sharing!

Btw; Wishing you a great week ahead Naomin!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 2:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They say advertising works but do they really need to plaster whole buildings to promote something?? As they say, only in America...*heehee*

Great photo work - a diary of a building. The zoom on your camera is pretty impressive. And just how are those chooks next door? *smirk*

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 2:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

When we were in Vegas last fall the Luxor had a big ad covering it. Jack Daniels or something. I thought that was soooo tacky. Buildings for ads, come on! It really is just tacky.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 3:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Mysterious are the ways of the builders. One thing always amazed me: How do they know when they're finished?

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 3:24:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm hoping that's not for advertising. I'm guessing the windows may be part of the condos & the white part may be some sort of "wall" for them. You know for the areas where they don't want to be seen. (?)
I hope at least.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 6:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

If only I knew more about construction. After watching a small 1957 library torn down, new one rebuilt across from my apt.(the "dust" on my loving room window sill was an inch thick daily; and in last 12 months at least 7 buildings gutted and rebuilt into condos within 5 blocks all around me, AND as Mr.Trump and God Knows what countries buy and build huge buildings in Seattle--I've seen a lot...but nothing quite like this. Supposedly you can look up the county assessor's office and find out the property's owner/mgnt co., which might give you a clue...Professor Plum, in Bev.Hills, with a bulldozer! (Was fun to see the wind blow away the trash!)

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 7:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great play-by-play!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 7:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well now I'd dying to see what they do with this building!! It is pretty in the photos you were able to get while being driven around by your friend.

I know you will keep us posted. I just wish I had the money that has been spent on this building over the years!!! I'd sure have some extra cash then!! :)

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 7:33:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Some people bird watch. Not many building watch. Well you do both!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 8:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'll be interested in the continuing saga of this bldg. Surely do hope its destiny does not include being wrapped in exterior advertising, but maybe that's too much to expect with so much so commercial now. We can hope!

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 12:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Remember that old tv commercial "it"s not nice to fool with mother nature"? Can't you just see (LOL)"mother nature" summoning wind, lightning and thunder by raising her wand in the direction of that ad, and it's history! Better still, picture yourself invoking divine justice upon all the shrouded buildings in Hollywood!!

By the way, one of my clients, the classic animation producer and liberal activist Les Goldman, had his office in that building when it was new. Somehow, even then,the elevator never inspired confidence. It often smelled of burning phenol insulation.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 3:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photo reportage in progress, Naomi! Love seeing this tile roof, so nice!

Have a wonderful week ahead!

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 4:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember the Transformers ad.
Obnoxious. That building has been in flux for too too long!
~s

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 12:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your pictures of this building are so interesting to see what has taken place with it over all this time. I wonder if those panels will have some type of way to advertise digitally where it will be very bright and clear? That would be tacky...but all in the name of greed. Maybe the advertising would help pay the maintenance cost for the tenants??

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 3:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ch-ch-changes are afoot, and you are documenting them all!

I cracked up over the Transformer ad being ripped to shreds. It's as if a Transformer itself came by and ripped the ad off the building.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 1:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's amazing watching the progress of a few months in one blog post. kind of like one of those films they fast forward! LOL!I am very glad they are doing something that looks like it will make the most of the building and the location adn that doesn't seem to be an eye sore on the horizon.

I am catching up on my blogging, so although I have read all the p[osts I have missed I haven't time to comment her at the moment. I will be back though to do this. Sorry I haven't been around much but things are quite upsetting for me at the moment.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 5:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That is a stunning condo building. Great to live in there.

makati condo

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 at 1:57:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.