Saturday, February 23, 2008
the oscars are coming

It is Friday night, February 22nd, 2008. On Sunday, February 24th, 2008, the 80th Academy Awards will be held just about one short block from where the very first Academy Awards were held. Those first Awards were held in the rather small ballroom of The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. This years Oscars will be held at The Kodak Theatre and all of us, along with God knows how many other people all over the world, can see them on ABC-TV.... And as some of you may recall, they are just down the hill from me. And truthfully, I cannot see much of anything from my deck, except some of the construction stuff....


This big construction thingy in the little video is there because it somehow is helping to control the "tenting" that is covering the whole Red Carpet deal that runs from
Highland Avenue to Orange Drive, on Hollywood Blvd. How do I know this, you might ask? Well, I was talking to my little pharmacy yesterday...they are right down there on Hollywood and La Brea...(two blocks west of Orange Drive...) and I asked Rick what that construction thingy was for....And he is the one that told me that it, and 4 or 5 other smaller construction thingies, which I cannot see, control that huge tenting that you can see a tiny bit of in the picture above......
Here above is a little closer look at the construction thingy and below is a close-up of a couple of workmen, fooling around with whatever it is they fool around with to make that tenting stuff work.Can you see those three guys just left of center? Here below is another picture of the same fellas, doing their thing....You can actually see them a little better in this second picture above.....And then, the next picture below shows this one man hanging in a very precarious fashion.....I would love to know just what it is that he is doing, wouldn't you?

Do you see him there hanging just in front of that square box looking thing....? It's times like this that I wish I had an even better camera then I do.....Do any of you remember the Hitchcock film "Rear Window" with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly?
I loved that film...(btw: It was Nominated for 4 Academy Awards in 1954 and won, One.....)....Jimmy Stewart played a photographer who is stuck in his apartment with a broken leg who sees something happening in the Apartment building across the way that is very bad...He believes that he sees a man across the way killing his wife....That 'man' was played by the wonderful Raymond Burr, who was very scary in this film....Ray Burr, the man, was not scary at all....In fact, he was a lovely man who was an Art Collector and ran a Gallery in Beverly Hills for many many years....Before his television career, he played all these scary evil men in most of the films he did....."Rear Window" being one of those films.....The 'camera' is a very important character in "Rear Window". And the camera also played a very important part in another great film, "Blow Up"....the Antonioni film.....I guess I kind of love the idea of being able to take pictures of people who have no idea you are doing that....And I don't mean in compromising positions.... Like for instance, I love taking pictures of the people who walk their dogs up on Runyon Canyon, that hill across the way from me...(The same hill where my beloved trees live....)
Again, I wish I had a better camera....But, considering that I don't, these aren't too bad....(Do click on all the pictures to see them bigger.....) It almost looks like these two guys are looking at me taking pictures of them.....But, most people are actually looking at the view, especially if it is a beautiful clear day..... Can you see that both these people have those Blue Tooth phone thingies in their ears? This is the typical look here in Los Angeles.....Even when walking up on that hill, people do not want to be without their Cell Phones....lol.Make this picture bigger and you'll see that the person walking with the lady in red is on her cell phone....Amazing, isn't it?And this lady above over on the right...is on her Cell Phone, too.....Is this how it is everywhere now? What did we all do before Cell Phones? We communed with ourselves and nature.....I find it amazing and quite wonderful that so very many people come up to Runyon Canyon to walk and especially to walk their dogs.....And sometimes to do other things, too.....Some people come up there to take pictures. And who is she taking pictures of??? Why, this lady, below.....!And here below, a closer look at the subject of that photograph.......Okay.....back to the Oscars.....So, today, we are supposed to have some more heavy-duty rain....And hopefully, maybe, the heavens will get all rained out so that Sunday the weather will be utterly glorious! And the beautiful Kodak Theatre, almost empty in this picture below....will be filled with 'the beautiful people', in their gorgeous gowns and bling.....the men in their elegant Tux's and a bit of bling, too....And the audience will hold their breath as the 80th Annual Academy Awards unfolds.....This is an interesting year......



More To Come.......


















30 Comments:
had this to say:

AM I FIRST to comment?? heeeyaaw.

I would love to be watching the Oscars with you Naomi....and listen to you commentary and wonderful stories.

Tonight, I'm invited to a middle aged momma slumber party...bring it on! I suggested pole dancing, but they wimped out. Anyways, we'll have fun. I actually picked up Rear Window to watch. Isn't that funny? I love that flick and have seen it many times....Christopher Reeve's version was interesting too, but just not as PERFECT as Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly and Raymond Burr.

I also don't understand why people have to be on the phone all the time, especially when they are going for a walk. What is that all about? There is no opportunity to connect with others who are with you, to connect with nature and to connect with ONESELF.....perhaps that's it. People are afraid to be alone with their own scary thoughts. Their loss!

Enjoy the Oscars......am rooting for Ellen Page AND Julie Christie. I hope Sarah Polley wins one too and gives Alice Munro the cudos she so deserves. What a beautiful writer she is.

cheers.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 4:13:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh what a great view you have!

Entertainment Tonight (or some such show!) said all the white tents were to shelter folks from the rain and from helicopters doing arial views (sound I guess).

We got 5 inches of snow here in Bucks County Friday. It was supposed to rain after (and hopefully wash away alot of snow) but we got ICE instead! It is a mess.

Thank you for posting such wonderful pictures on your blog. I live vicariously through the view from your deck!

Hugs, Anne

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 6:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I for one am holding my breath for the big day. I wish I had seen more of the nominated films, but it'll be exciting to see the clips anyway and maybe rent the movies afterwards.

I love all these pictures, Naomi, from the everyday cell phone junkies to the red carpet, but I especially like the photo of the theater. What a spectacular view!

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be nominated on Hollywood's biggest night of the year. Not only is that part stressful, but then you have to worry about WHAT TO WEAR. The critics can be so nasty.

Enjoy your view from the hills!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 6:45:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

the closest i've been to an oscar experience is a local benefit held for the utah aids foundation.

its fun in glamorous in a utah kind of way...

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 7:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I say it's time to get a camera like Jimmy Stewart's. lol Now who could ever forget Rear Window? I have watched it so many times and I get scared each time, even knowing what is going to happen. Raymond Burr really was scary. Grace Kelly was as beautiful as always and I really loved watching her.

This has been an interesting year for movies. Do you have any predictions for us?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 7:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love those photos!

That crane is immense and impressive! I couldn't imagine working on one of those - a stepladder makes me nauseous!

I feel sad now when I see people out walking their dogs or spending time with their children and can't keep off their mobiles/cells! I have restarted my cell phone, but it's permanently on silent and I hardly ever use it.

I've missed seeing you around, Nay. I know you're looking forward to the Oscars - think JD is gonna pick up a statuette for Sweeney?

cq

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 8:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your view is superb but then I've said that many times. As for the Oscars, oh I'd love to be there in the flesh - the build up must be fantastic, edge of seat stuff! I hope Michael Clayton does well ... gorgeous George and all that.

Now as to my quiz Naomi - one of those quotes is from a 1971 musical and another is from my favourite ever musical which was released in July 1954 ... are you kind of getting that I have a penchant for musicals? *wink* You want to take another look now that you know that?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 8:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I really do not understand the obsession with being on the mibile / cell hone all the time. I like having mine for emergencies and such but other than that, I often switch it off because I do not want to be reached all the time. I'd bet that most of these phone calls that cannot seem to wait are all about niff naff and trivia. I certainly don't see that the cell / mobile phone has improved communcation between people, just increased it!

I liked your little video and pics. It certainly gave a good idea of how close all this glitze and glamour of the Oscars si to you! It'll be interesting to see who wins this year!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 10:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ohhhh, the Oscars! Yay! I love watching those shows. Tony does, too. Which really makes me happy, I love a man who loves to watch award shows. :)

What always kind of tripped me out is the thought that every person who is on their cell phone, there is another person in the world who is talking to them! So many people on the phone... can you imagine?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 11:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

After reading this post Naomi, I can see why I do love coming here and reading all your posts. You make the ordinary seem extraordionary. I love that. The photos of the people up on the hill made me giggle. Fabulous.

And it is so amazing that the Oscars are being held just literally down the road from you. Makes all us fellow bloggers excited for you. You're our touch of Hollywood. Thank you.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 2:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Another great post Naomi! I'm looking forward to watching the Oscars too! Enjoy...

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 3:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You got a ringside seat, so to speak. Say hello to Jon Stewart for me.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 4:58:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I look forward to it every year since I was a teenager. It's not your typical Floyd activity, half my friends don't even have TVs but I love it the way my son Josh loves the Red Sox games. I'll be back! Here from Michele's.

Did I say, I have a flower of yours posted. I wanted a rose to go with the post. The ones I took of my valentine roses were not good quality. Then I was looking around for this postcard I have a red rose up close and couldn't find in anywhere, but your beautiful one showed up and it was fun to feature it.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 5:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Loved all your pictures Naomi! I cannot imagine working on that construction stuff and being up in the air like that, but I guess they are use to it.

I don't know how folks got along before cell phones!! Some take them everywhere! It's amazing!! I do have a cell phone but it's seldom turned on. I only have it in case of an emergency, and they are good to have if you are traveling. But walking my dog? No way!!!

I know you are looking forward to the Oscars and I hope all your favorites win!! You are so close to where it all takes place!! What a hub of activity until then!!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 5:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'll be watching and cheering for Ruby Dee among others. She is long overdue for an award. What a fantastic person she is.

I'm glad the show will go on and that the strike was settled. Hope the storm that was predicted will be over by then.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 5:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, you are a marvellous SPY! I love your surreptitious pictures of unsuspecting dog walkers. I'm surprised MI5 or the FBI haven't recruited you to keep an eye on the goings on in the Hollywood Hills. Or maybe they already have???
I can't figure out the cell phone mania either. I have a cell phone, it's 8 years old and all it does is make phone calls. No camera, no internet, no text messages. How Boring. I hardly ever use it, and I don't even know what the number is unless I have it written down.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 5:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You said those workers were playing with whatever workers play with, and I got a chuckle thinking some naughty thoughts. Then you showed some up close shots of people, and I was VERY glad you did not capture anyone "playing" with anything in public.
:-)
Oh Lord!! My mind is NOT behaving!!!!
Courtney is going to an Oscar party tomorrow at her boyfriend's house along with some college friends. They will have fun. They are all into filmmaking, so it will be a good time. I hope the weather clears up for the big event. These people get all gussied up for the Oscars, and it would be a shame for it to be pouring rain. Oh well... the show must go on, and it will regardless of the weather.

I sure loved the movie Juno. I hope it wins some awards tomorrow night. I also saw Atonement, but I wasn't thrilled with it. The ending scene was really good though, but the movie lacked something for me. I did not see There Will Be Blood, but I know that Daniel Day Lewis HAD to be marvelous, no matter what the movie was like. He is such a great actor. I don't even know what else is up for awards.
I usually see movies after they come to Pay Per View or onto HBO or Showtime. Sometimes I catch movies in the theater with my daughter, but not that often.

Well, I'm rambling on, and it's getting late.
Happy Weekend to you, Naomi!
Enjoy the Oscars!!!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 9:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

LOL, all those crazy kids and their constant need to be talking! Thank goodness I am not only one who calls those...things..."thingys." I have chips and German beer and Greek cookies waiting my guests to see Ruby Dee win. (Oh, please.) JC is Vegas favorite for best actress. Oh, a good night for older ladies!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 10:04:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Every time I hear the Oscars mentioned on TV I think of you.
Cell phones. Ugh. People being on them 24/7 is a pet peeve of mine. Luckily we're getting a new law in June or July that you must be handsfree while driving & on the phone.
I think people who have them on 24/7 are extremely insecure & need to display their "importance" to others. Others that they don't even know & don't even care.
But I hate to see a parent on one, just talking casually, when their child is with them. And when couples are together... I don't get it.
Jim & I both have one but we only use them to make important calls. Neither of us keep them on.

I hope you'll do a write up on the Oscars & your opinion of who won. I want George Clooney to win something, just cuz he's so damn hot!

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 1:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have just found your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I love your little videos. You certainly have a birds eye view of what is going on with the Oscars. Keep us updated!

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 4:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Great photos, Naomi! Now you are a Hollywood Hills's reporter! Good job!

I like to see the Oscar and I would love to see the show with you!

Have fun tonight!

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 5:46:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I do so enjoy popping in here. My kids keep telling me that when we go to CA to hike Yosemite, we must visit LA and Hollywood. I keep thinking, "Good grief, would be be country bumpkins." I'd feel like Jed Clampett pondering the "ceement pond."

Cheers from Michele.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 10:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ooh. Exciting. And you certainly know how to do advertisements in LA, what with that big car advert on the side of the building.

I wonder sometimes with the cellphones whether people are out jogging, walking etc when they are really supposed to be in their 'virtual office'. If so then I suppose its another way to be working. If its all the time though (like whe I was in the supermarket today and half the people walk around talking to someone), then I wonder if its gone a bit far.

It will be interesting to see the show tonight/in the morning. Its on our breakfast shows as well because of the time difference!

Thanks for posting some of the 'build up!'

rashbre

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 10:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi. I've been so sick for so long that I've fallen off the back of the blogging truck, so to speak. Please don't take it personally: this never-ending cold, coupled with extended-family drama, has pretty much killed any blogging funtime for me for the past few months.

I love the feel of this sequence of photos. I like how you scan your environment and pick off distant views of the snippets of life going on around you: construction, walkers, vista-viewers...it's a lovely way to see the world, and one that's sadly forgotten by most in today's hurry-up-and-wait world. Thankfully, not by you.

I think those Bluetooth ear things are silly. They look like bugs, holding on for dear life, sucking the very lifeblood from people's heads. I may be as wired and connected as anyone on the planet, but the people in front of and around me will always be infinitely more important and worthy of my immediate attention than anyone who calls me on my BlackBerry. No ear-bugs for me :)

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 1:40:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It would be lovely to take a walk with you on the hill in Runyon Canyon where your favorite little trees line the skyline...or watch the Oscars with you, drink in hand and a chocolte or two.
It's nice hearing you speak on the video... I have always thought I could tell a singer by her speaking voice and yours is a warm mellow melodic sound I recognize. Here's to all the songs we used to sing.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 2:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am watching them now and thinking of you Naomi. :)

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 7:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

We're watching the Oscars. Go, Ellen, go!!

Cell phone people annoy me. Ha! Yes, I have one but it's not attached to my ear. How can they enjoy the beauty of a walk?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 7:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I'd love to know what you thought of the Academy Awards this year. I have to say I thought it was boring, not funny and too long!I have not seen any of the movies either, and I am sure that makes a difference in my viewing pleasure.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 9:39:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Thank you Naomi! now I'm all excited waiting for the main event - via you of course:)

Monday, February 25, 2008 at 6:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You need a bigger zoom! lol
~S

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 1:07:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.