Wednesday, October 17, 2007
spindly flower stalk

This is a picture of this lovely spindly flower stalk coming out of a plant that, in truth, I honestly do not know the name of....I should, but I don't....It is a lovely delicate stalk with these teeny tiny sweet delicate flowers..... A slightly closer look and as you can see, the bougainvillea is in the background...so, you may or may not get, how tiny these flowers are....But, here below is a somewhat closer look, yet again....
You can see these lovely flowers plus the little balls that precede them...Still...not close enough to really see the beauty of these blossoms.... In this picture above, the little flower balls look like ovals...But as you will see in some other pictures, they also look like rounder shapes...more like a ball shape, at an earlier stage of their development....
And there is one of my favorite visitors these days...A bee...! And see, these little pods are round and then as they are getting ready to open, they become oval shaped....And the sweet stuff that is there on those flowers is very very sticky, and obviously yummy, too.... Oh, these wonderful wonderful bees...! And see, there are the 'balls' and the ovals, and of course, the open sweet sticky flowers that these bees just love..... Above....a slightly different shot: Same Bee, Same Position, Sort Of, Slightly Different Angle....The fascination of these bees never lessens for me....I'm not sure why, except that they are such an important part of nature and the balance of things.... I have really come to be a big bee fan....(as long as they are interested in the flowers----which they always seem to be when I am taking pictures....and not wanting to taste me....lol) I guess it is pretty obvious. I mean, that I am a huge 'fan'.I've said it before, and I will say it again---there is something about the concentration of the bees with the job at hand, that I find totally arresting. They're purpose. They're faithfulness to the job. It is pretty awesome. You can see, in a way, how really small these flowers are. I mean, the bees are not exactly big, you know? And when you look at that bee in the picture above, he looks pretty big next to the size of each blossom....


There will be a second installment of this post, next time....If yes, there is a lot......



More To Come......


















25 Comments:
had this to say:

Wow, once the bee moved in to the picture you could really see how small the flowers are.

I wonder what bees think about.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 8:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely and delicate flowers, Naomi! Just great the close up of the bee! You did a good job here!

Have a nice day!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 12:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't recognize those flowers either, Naomi, but they are lovely. The bees are just doing what they were made to do, but I loe seeing them do it!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 12:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

amazing photo's as usual Naomi! Isn't it amazing how such a tiny bee can make honey?!! And I'm sure most of it comes from your garden! :o)

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 12:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The clarity of these photos is amazing, and I understand where the expression "busy as a bee" comes from by the looks of these pics. So busy yet so relaxing to look at.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 1:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, Your yard should win, yard of the year for California....I would love for my yard to look just half that good....You have a real crop of bees there too.

Check this out from my husbands blog: http://tfsternsrantings.blogspot.com/2007/10/chopin-kind-of-day.html

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 3:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos Naomi!! Those bees sure do enjoy your garden to the max!! It's probably the talk of the town, among bees that is!! :)

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 4:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So pretty and nice Naomi very fascinating to see you captured all these shots so closely.

:D Hugs my dear friend.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 8:48:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I have no clue what flower that is. But I am loving the bee pics as much as I did the hummingbirds. Maybe even more.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 11:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for coming by Pezland! What beautiful pictures... pretty amazing that you took those.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 5:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, the flowers are lovely. It's no wonder the bees congregate at your place!

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 6:30:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm glad you zoomed in close. The bee is an acrobat! I had not heard that bees were being effected by cell phones but I'm not surprised. The emit emfs and I just read some nasty stuff about plastic and how much that is effected everything.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 1:43:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, thank you again, for sharing your eye and talent, with the rest of us., Missed reading and looking in at your blog. Here in NY, it's about 70 degres today, and the bees are hovering around the bins on Apples my husband has outside. Its a good thing. :) Pat

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

One can really tell your a 'big bee fan' and you've captured them so well in these macro pics - amazing and wonderful.

Yes, the nature is magic, amazing and wonderful if you have the time to treasure it and notice - thanks for sharing with us Naomi!

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 2:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They are teeny tiny flowers aren't they? It's amazing what role in nature bees have, don't you agree? No wonder we say 'busy as a bee'! Thanks for sharing your images and thoughts...

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 3:22:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'd forgotten how small bees are until you mentioned it. This bee looks huge in contrast to the flowers.
In 1 of the pictures s/he almost looks translucent.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 5:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very cool, Naomi! You were very popular with the bees!

Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 10:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi there Naomi! I've been away too long and I have missed out on a lot of your beautiful posts. Will try to start posting again soon.

Have always admired your flower/plant collections.

Cheers!

Friday, October 19, 2007 at 12:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I cma ehere to comemnt the other day but my computer was playing up, but here I am now.

As ever, these are amazing photos. I think you must have spent so much time with your bee visitors by now that you are all on first name terms! LOL!

Those little flowers are so delicate. Yet another example of nature at her best.

Friday, October 19, 2007 at 4:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me back again. It is inspiring to see how much enjoyment you get from the flowers in your garden.

Friday, October 19, 2007 at 4:49:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Very beautiful flowers. I enjoy visiting your blog.

As you know Michele sent me back!

Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 12:54:00 AM PDT 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

Hey Naomi. Forgive me for not being here in awhile but I've been really busy with "life" and not blogging much. But I learned something I just had to share with you, even tho you probably already know. You have shown the beautiful Agave plant on your site, and I just recently learned, from a survival show, that the Agave is also a needle and thread. You can gently break or cut around the "needle" at the top, not breaking it off, just loosening it, then pull gently, and a long, long strand of strong "thread" will pull out of the center of the stalk, still attached to the "needle". That is so kewl!!!

Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 7:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those teensy, tiny flowers are so delicate and intricate and pretty. Amazing isn't it, all the wondrous detail of nature?!
That bee surely IS enjoying his feast.
I love how you give us a far away look, then take us closer and closer in with each photo.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So very sweet! Oops. That was a pun unintended. Pretty pretty little flowers, and I do agree the bee, so very intent and commited to it's task... knowing it's part of a huge community... I enjoyed that. Thank you. :-)

Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 8:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey you! Just checking in....so sorry i'm just sucking at this blog thing right now. I do think of you every day, though, if that helps. =) I've enjoyed catching up....and ONCE AGAIN, you amaze me with the life you've lived and the friends you've had. What a true blessing!!

Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 7:54:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.