Monday, February 19, 2007
yucca rostrata's

Yucca Rostrata's are to me a very elegant and unusual plant. They are especially beautiful when they have had a 'haircut'. A haircut consists of cutting back the bottom leaves so that the heads have an upward look...these above are really almost ready for a small haircut....I love these plants and have about ten of these throughtout my garden....

Here below, is how these three looked back in 1986 when they were planted....It's not a very good picture, but I'm thrilled to have any kind if a record of their growth.... This was very early on in the planting of my garden...and you can see what I mean about the 'haircut'. And look how small these three are....!
And below, another view, a little later on----maybe about a year later---and as you can see, much more is planted and these Rostrata's are really getting established. And as the years have gone on, many changes have taken place in this front bed....Things were moved. Some things were stolen right out of the ground....Yes! One day I came out and nine plants had been ripped out of the ground in the front....It was pretty devistating. But the Rostrata's have thrived and stayed very healthy and beautiful. This picture above, is a few years later...Again, not a great picture, but it is a record of what the garden looked like at that time. The Rostrata's are growing...and as they grow the reach for the sun and so though they were planted on an angle, by this time they are beginning to show themselves straighening up to the sun....Amazing! Here they are above, a few years later, having almost completely straighened themselves as they grow towards the sun....And they get full sun all day here in this bed....And talk about growth....You see those two pale gray fuzzy guys on either side of the Yucca's....well, they are huge now...as you will see....

After about five years I noticed a strange little spindly thingy growing out of the ground to one side of one of the Rostrata's....I wasn't sure, but it looked like it might be a 'baby' off of one of the bigger plants....Here it is below, in close-up, as it looked back in 1990-91.... And here below, a little farther away, so you can see it in context.... Isn't it cute? And if you go back to two pictures before this, you can see how much it had grown by the time of that picture....and by the time I took that particular picture it was big enough already to have it's first haircut!

And below, a closer look at this burgeoning baby....haircut, and all.... This is a fairly slow growing plant....And I do think these dears are very happy here. And because it is kind of a perfect environment for them, they have thrived and certainly grown faster than they would in a pot! And here, above, are those three and the 'baby'...somewhat bigger.... and you can just see the 'baby' behind the tall yucca on the left, no doubt, it's Mama----the biggest and tallest plant of the three Rostrata's.....

Then we skip quite a few years, and here below, is that 'baby', today.... I actually went and measured it today just to see how tall it really is and going from the deepest part at the bottom to the top, it isn't even three feet tall, and, it is over fifteen years old....!One doesn't see these plants in too many places. They are not easy to come by---they are propagated in Mexico and Texas---and if you want any kind of a semi-mature plant they are very expensive because they are so slow growing...The care and feeding of these lovely plants is time consuming for growers and especially because of the time they take to grow.

If any of you watch Ellen DeGeneres you may have seen the show where a woman wrote to tell her that a plant that was sitting behind her looked like it was growing out of her head...this was a Yucca Rostrata in a pot that she had on the set. I had noticed there was something behind her, but I couldn't tell what it was till Ellen got up out of her chair, went right to the plant, and moved it over to the side....getting it out from behind her head.....It was, of course, obvious to me just what that plant was.....one of my beloved Yucca Rostrata's, in a pot....and it was just about as big as my 'baby'.

This picture over on the left is something I found on the net...I was looking for a picture of one showing this wonderful plant in a pot, to illustrate the point about Ellen DeGeneres and how it could look like it was growing out of her head....lol!

Some would say I am rather obsessed with my garden and the plants that grow here....maybe I am. But it is an obsession that has given me so much pleasure----and many other people pleasure, too----and it is something that seems so very positive to me-----to help living things grow....to nurture them and even at times seemingly ignore them in a benign way, of course, and in spite of this benign neglect they grow and thrive, anyway....There is a lesson here of some sort....I'm not sure what it is, but I know what I have just said is true. Remember one of those small gray fuzzy things in that earlier picture? You can just see the tops of two of the many arms on this fantastic plant and it is very very tall now....(It's the one that has what I call 'the penis flowers', which you can sort of see in silouette...more of them at another time).

One last picture of this little patch of land filled with such great beauty....taken on a different day than the one above, and lightened so you can see more.....

I am going to leave this post up a little longer than usual...it took me all day and half the night to do this one....I need a rest....lol!

More To Come......







31 Comments:
had this to say:

They are magnificent plants and very beautuful too. I love your garden - it is like an oasis! It must eb wonderful watching these grow - especially the baby one :-)

I can't believe that someone dug up some of your plants. I can imagine how upsetting that must have been as you so obviously love your garden. BTW - I don't think you are obsessed, I just think you take real pleaseure in something that you love doing. It is great that you pass on this joy through your posts here.

BTW- to answer your question, my Miata is red with the pop up headlights. I always think it has such a happy look to it and love driving it!

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 3:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Someone stole plants? Thieves can be so brave. It's neat seeing how much the plants have grown!

You have a good rest!

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 3:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It is a lovely long post. A very long post. I love how you have photos of your plants from babies to adults. It is great to how big they grow and how long it takes.
Have a good rest

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 4:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, it was worth every minute of it. It is so interesting to me to watch the progress of your wonderful plants, which I am unfamiliar with, except in pictures. Thanks for sharing your marvelous garden.

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 5:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

This was very interesting to read, and I enjoyed the photos~ I didn't know anything about them, before.

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 5:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have a yucca and I have had it for years but it is not as big as this one. I didn't know they could grow this very big. It must be the type of our soil or our climate.

Cheers to your week!

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 6:18:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I don't blame you for being obsessed with your garden...I would be too!

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 6:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can imagine that it took time, but it is very interesting !
I also spent a long time on my "countries & cities" blog, because I wrote about the new Atomium here in Brussels. The Atomium is a left over from the World fair 1958 and is Brussels sign like the Eiffel tower in Paris. So if you want to have a look click on the link in my sidebar.

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 6:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

A well deserved rest -- you take it! This is a fabulous post! I LOVE your garden and I can fully understand your obsession with it! And I think it's your obsession that keeps the rest of us coming back to SEE what happens next! YOUR love for it just naturally makes US feel like we're included in it! If I EVER get to Beverly Hills I really DO want to come visit you and your garden!

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 6:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

wow naomi! lol I suspect you were sizing photo's for some time for this post hahaha...

It seems that your gardens need to be in a book! Seriously, you have so much in your gardens that I would think someone would want to pay for photo's to have them in a nature book of some sort.

most impressive..but then everything you do is impressive!!

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 6:55:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful post!
I really enjoy my time here. Your garden and the work with your plants is wonderful. Your obsession gives me great pleasure. I can't express how thrilled I am that you are sharing your world with us. Thank You!
I saw that Ellen clip. It was very funny. You should call the show and let Ellen know what it is. I would not have known if I had not visited you here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQulhvbesUI

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 7:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Very lovely plants.
Your garden makes me smile.
Thanks.

Kendra

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 8:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You have an incredible garden, Naomi. I'm not so sure I share your appreciation for the plant with the penis flowers--the whole thing looks like some scary thing reaching out to grab me--but everything else is amazing. Your recent pictures with your digital camera are so nice compared to the old photos, Naomi.

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 12:18:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Those are great and how much time and effort you've put in on them. Do they ever flower?

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 3:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You have the freakiest plants! I love it! When I look outside, all I see is snow :(

Monday, February 19, 2007 at 6:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely garden - thanks for sharing with all this great pictures.
We have some in Norway but only indoors. I have a Yucca myself.
Like Teena said: The only snow I see outside the window - I just love it though:-)

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 12:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good morning dear Naomi! Love your garden and your exotic and luxuriant plants! I agree with Bob-Kat, it is like an oasis! Love so much the 4# photos because I can see a view of your house. So beautiful all those photos!

Thank you for your nice compliment to my mother! So sweet of you!

Just now I had a comment of a new visitor, named Victoria, which put links to her blog with photos of the Carnival 2007 in Rio de Janeiro. Those photos are very
up-to-date.

See you soon!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 4:52:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

It is always a real treat to take a short walk through your garden. This kind of yucca isn't available around here but I might have seen some relatives on the Canary Islands, I will have to check this out. Wonderful plants!!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 6:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

As usual, I love pictures of your garden Naomi. I would love to see it in person. I have never seen most of these plants and the yucca rostrata's are so neat, as are all your plants!! A shame that someone took some of your plants. Thieves will take anything though. Sad.

I saw Ellen Degeneres when she called that lady on the phone who had told her that plant looked like it was growing out of her head and it was hilarious!!! Did you see that?? Cracked me up, the lady (from TX) was so funny!!

You deserve a rest after this long post. It does take much time to do this. I appreciate the work you put into it, as I love your blog and your wonderful pictures!!!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 9:01:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That really is some growth and way to go on capturing their youth -- although their youth didn't go so quickly by as some. :)

I remember back a few years ago I planted a small tree in the front yard. It was community property for my HOA but I'm a risk taker sometimes. When I came home a couple days later, the gardener's had ripped the poor little tree out. I thought they had thrown it away, and I was devastated. But I later found it deposited just inside my gate behind another plant. I was glad I did, too, it needed water! I potted it and to this day still have that little tree, it's a star pine. It's grown some since then. :)

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 10:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

They look like artists' brushes! How appropriate for your garden! :)

If you're going to obsess over something, a garden is a wonderful thing to obsess over. :) If you have something that you feel passionate about, I think that's wonderful. I know people who have not one passion, and it's sad. So, I say, viva la garden! :)

~S

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 12:12:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I found out I was thinking of a different plant,
this one I saw on the Canary Islands, thought you might like to read about it, Naomi...

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 1:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm a kind of speechless. So much wonder you have concentrated in your garden. And extrodinary well documented. Following the development of the Yucca's is a fabulous story.
(Yuccas here are only tiny ones in pots - most people give them way too much water).

I understand very well your obsession for your garden. I would have been myself.

Thanks for sharing in words and pictures the development of these great plants.

=^.^=

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 4:25:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Once again, you captivate us with your lush garden and surroundings. I'm surprised you haven't been a feature in Better Homes and Gardens!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 4:31:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Where have I been? I have never seen such a thing! They really stretch my sense of reality! And do look a little punk spiked. I never know what you're going to show next. Sorry I didn't take a photo of the Spanish Bayonett in Cedar Key. You could probably google it and get a photo. It was SHARP. Sharper than the Agave. I saw a cactus wound around a tree like a snake and thought of you!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 5:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Gorgeous, as usual. Yuccas are actually something that can grow here. I've never planted them, though, because I think they look so out of place. Maybe i'll have to rethink that!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 7:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

again- very unique plants. so pretty! and that's just the lamp reflection in the pic on my site....not a fire!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 5:27:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your chimney! I just noticed it & I love it! Is your house Spanish stucco style on the outside? It just has so much personality.

I never would have thought to trim your plants from the bottom, when you said a haircut, I thought they trimmed the edges of the stems. You're right, they look handsomely striking!

omg, hahaha @ chickie's icon.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 5:31:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm glad you're obsessed with your plants. Otherwise, where would we be able to share in the richness of their history? You don't just take pictures, Naomi: you share stories, backgrounds and contexts that make the images come to life.

If that's obsession, that's perfectly fine by me. My world's enriched because of it.

My apologies for posting this anonymously, Naomi. Blogger's being a pain in the tuchus today!

Carmi
http:/writteninc.blogspot.com/
BTW, I love the interweaving of old and new images. I really have a sense of where all of your beautiful work originated. It's truly living art.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 2:27:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Fascinating photos of your cacti.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 3:34:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Would you be able to provide any 2011 photos of your gorgeous Yucca Rostrta trees? They are spectacular! An update with photos would be wonderful. Thank you so much.
Don

Friday, July 1, 2011 at 1:51:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.