Thursday, November 30, 2006
three deer at noon

Here is a close-up of one of the three deer that came galloping down the street the other day....I just happened to be out there taking some pictures of a bird or two when I heard them running because a car behind them had frightened them....

I watched them quickly climb up the hill, across from me and disappear in the scrub that traverses the hill....But not before I was able to catch them mid-run..... And you can just see the back of that car that scared them down in the lower right corner of the picture...it had slowed down when they realized there were deer in front of them....you can see the red light at the top showing they were braking....

And just below is the middle one...I love that you can see his/her shadow so clearly....it was a beautiful cool sunny day.... These are such beautiful sweet animals I do not understand anyone wanting to shoot and kill them for 'sport'....it just seems so very cruel to me....

I was able to isolate the first one, as well....THey look so vulnerable to me....And here below are the middle one and the last one together, and a bit closer.... This all happened so quickly that the only other pictures I got were after they had almost disappeared under the scrub up there...And the last one kind of stayed in one place just long enough for me to get a pretty good picture of his tush.... Just another day on Castilian Drive....I was amazed that it was around 12:30pm....Usually we will see the deer late in the afternoon, or in the early evening....but the truth is, you just have to be in the right place at the right time to have the privelage of their fleeting company....It was a great gift to not only see them but for my camera to do exactly what I needed it to do by allowing them to be in perfect focus....as Blanche DuBois said in "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "Sometimes there's God, so quickly...."

So, one more time.....





More To Come......








20 Comments:
had this to say:

Wow! Great shot Naomi! It's amazing that you saw three deer at noon! Well done! You made a good work! It's so difficult to capture birds or animals moving fast!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 2:50:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Congrats on your great shots! you have a great eye and a steady hand, I find it very difficult to photograph moving objects/animals. The deer are so cute! hope they are in a safe place now!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 3:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

great pictures! you have to watch for them all hours of the day here. i see them midmorning and in the afternoons. yeah- if i had to hunt for my own food, i'd be a vegetarian.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 5:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

How lovely! Deer are so terribly timid that it's great you were able to see them and capture them so well to share with us.

Sometimes the essense of a good picture is being in the right place at the right time :-)

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 5:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a lucky sighting....

I've been lucky enough to encounter a few urban foxes both here and when I lived in London. It's truely amazing when you just happen on them & they stay transfixed for a moment before bounding off somewhere. It's nature up close & personal. Not something you really expect in a city. But SO cool when it happens.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 5:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

holy cow!.. err I mean deer heh.

Fabulous photo's!!!!

must be Dancer and Prancer and Doner eating their way back to the north pole huh?! lol

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 6:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That is very cool.
I love deer...they are so beautiful. :)
Have a great day.

Kendra

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 7:33:00 AM PST 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

Sorry I haven't been around in a bit.

I've missed your photos. They always tell such a story.

Deer? Where you live? I thought the only metro areas with that kind of wildlife were in the upper midwest and Alaska!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 9:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

oooh how beautiful!

great pictures sweetie, and you are right they do always look so fragile.

they tug at my hearstrings do deer :)

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 1:03:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love deer. And they always seem to be so nice to pose when I've seen them. Great shots!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 2:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Sweetie!!! Stop her!! Her am putting pictors of vishus deers on her blog thing!!!

Sweetie, Momma say you am lookin furry furry hands-some.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 2:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great pictures Naomi!! You were lucky to be there just at that time and with camera handy! Deer are so pretty and they move so quickly and gracefully.

Lovely creatures!!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 5:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a great capture!
I don't understand hunting either. Today, there are grocery stores. End of story. Killing living things is not a sport.

Great photos, Naomi!
~S :)

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 5:58:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Oh, how lovely! I have tried to catch the running deer before, but they are always too fast for me. What cute little tushes!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 6:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What wonderful shots, Naomi. I see deer here all the time, and at all hours of the day. They are fairly tame in our area.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 9:30:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great capture! I've been walking the dogs in the woods and had a deer go running crashing from one side of the woods on the path to the other right in front of me. My dog was like...HUH?! WTH was that??!

Hi, Michele sent me :-)

Friday, December 1, 2006 at 1:29:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

We have a lot of deer here, but I still always feel when I see them that I'm getting a visitation from something magical. Just the fact they they live wild and mangage to exist in spite of us! They have beautiful spirits. Of course, I'm amazed that you have them there so close to such a big city but nothing you post should surprise me anymore. It's not the stuff you imagine about LA.

Saturday, December 2, 2006 at 6:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I miss living in the Midwest because of wildlife like deer. Here in AZ, we just don't have them near us. We ahve coyotes, but that's really not much of a trade off!

Here from Michele's

Saturday, December 2, 2006 at 1:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I much prefer your type of shooting to the other kind. You absolutely nailed these shots, which further convinces me that your photographer's genes run far deeper than you would ever admit. I suspect there's no subject - still life or fast-moving - that you can't shoot, and shoot well.

Saturday, December 2, 2006 at 8:48:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, what great photos, Naomi! Talk about that one moment in time...you certainly captured it!
And I so agree...I'd much prefer to see these gorgeous creatures as you caught them....rather than being sought for sport.
And how unusual to have them appear during daylight like that.

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 at 6:37:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.