Sunday, May 21, 2006
more george and more more...


Well, another of George's flowers opened up, yesterday (5/19) and by late afternoon, it was closing up already...I couldn't get any closer than this because of where this flower is located on George. It's amazing that none of the flowers that have opened are in easy access...It is possible there may be one or two that will open, I hope, that are in an easier access position, but I'm not counting on it.

George surprised me tonight, (5/20) because another flower opened...and it was not open during the daylight sunny hours, and didn't even look like it was going to open...Go figure. This is the best 'head on' night time picture I have been able to get...and it isn't great by any means...but I feel that it is better than nothing...And, it was the best I could do with this camera of mine...too far away even with the flash...But I got a side view which I think is a very interesting picture...not so much of the flower itself, but of that wonderful outside sleeve-pattern. If I am up early in the A.M. I will take a look and see if this flower is still open in the morning light perhaps I can get a better picture....it won't be closer though...that's just not possible I'm afraid because of it's location... I bet I've taken 1000 pictures of George and George's flower-birthing...Of course many of them went right into the recycling bin cause they just weren't in focus or not to my liking...Before George is finished with flowers and fruit this year, I bet there will be at least another thousand pictures!

On another front...Here are a couple of plants in my garden down below...What I love about this picture is seeing this very interesting Opuntia in the foreground (a beautiful plant) and in the background is 'the city'...that building that you can just see the top of is The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel and behind that is that awful iPod Ad on the side of the old Bekins Storage building. There are a number of plants in this photograph besides the Opuntia...just behind it is a Euphorbia Ingens, and almost out of sight on the far left is just one arm of a Euphorbia Amak Verigated...and on the far right side is another tall green Ingens with another Euphorbia person in the right hand corner that is quite different than any of the other Euphorbia's that I have or that I have shown you in the past.This is that same plant in a different part of the garden when it was in full bloom...this is a gorgeous lush plant when it is blossoming...it pretty much looks like nothing much at all when it is not blooming, but oh my dears, it is breathtaking when you see it as it was in this picture. This was taken with my no-think analog camera quite a few years ago.

This next photograph is of an Opuntia that was developed by Luther Burbank. It's claim to fame, besides being very beautiful, is that it is practically spineless, so it can't "get you" the way so very many Cactus type plants can and often do. All the pads on this plant are an almost perfect round shape... This little guy is the beginning of a new pad just starting to grow. We planted this across the street because we had done a major 'haircut' on the mother plant and we had these lovely extra pads. It is now a very good size plant and this is just an extreme close-up of one of the existing mature pads with a new little baby beginning it's journey...So very dear, isn't it? You can see the places where the spines would be, can't you? And there is almost nothing there that can draw blood, believe me.

I'm sure that a lot of you are familiar with Hens & Chicks...this particular example of this commonly named plant is quite small but oh soooo very beautiful. Talk about perfect symmetry.Each of these little clusters are no bigger than a silver dollor, just to give you an idea of what you are looking at here in the above photograph. I love that little bit of dark brown on the end of each of the leaves...


This next photograph is a gorgeous succulant that is very colorful and very sturdy, too. This is in a pot out on my deck...it has a lovely view of the city and it needs almost nothing to survive and thrive. A little water once a week...and of course, a lot of love! These leaves are very thick and fleshy and it is not in perfect symmetry at all, and that is part of what makes it so very beautiful I think.

And I will leave you today with this very sweet image. This couple that you are about to see sits on a little table out on my front Patio surrounded by all kinds of beautiful plants....they are my good luck and they are very happy together, as you can see... The perfect garden Guardian Angels...spreading their good cheer to all the plants and to me, too...Are they sweet or what?

More to come....

***UPDATE: Sunday, 10:10 a.m.

God is Good! And so is George...Here is the flower, still open this morning...as close as I can get given all the obstacles in the way..... Beautiful Beautiful....

Still, More To Come....
























26 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi, I love George and all the other cacti, particularly the succulents, but the frogs are wonderful! I'd love to have those for my collection.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 3:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It sure is a perfect garden with all those beautiful flowers.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 5:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

well, George has finally relented and let you get a full shot of his blossom! He certainly is a fine fellow isn't he?!!
You certainly get great photo's of all the cactus.. if it were me I'd probably have "needle" war wounds trying to get the pictures!

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 6:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful pictures!

Michele sent me! :)

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 9:42:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

So glad you turned up in the rotation at Michele's this morning...George is such a handsome fellow, isn't he? And the orange...oh my gosh is that breathtaking or what? I'll be back to gape in awe again soon!

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, cacti are amazing...
Here via Michele today.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:47:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Just amazing! here's to let you know some variations of the name George:
Jordi (Catalan)
Jorge (Spanish)
Giorgio (Italian)
Georg (German)
which you probably already knew, but happy sunday anyways!

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 12:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

wonderful photos.

ok, so i know i don't know the history, but WHAT EVER possessed you to name it 'George'?

All i can think of is this quote from Seinfield...

"Oh my God George! You treat your body like a carnival ride!"

Michele sent me.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 12:39:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I knew Judy would be the first one here when I saw those frogs. She can sniff out a frog two thousand miles away. They do make an adorable couple.

George is doing you proud this year. I do believe the hens and chicks will grow here even if the humidity is much higher than in California.

Lovely pictures.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW!! (although I believe I have used that word before...)

Speechless again with your wonderful photographs! I see a book in the making - put me down for a copy!!

And as for George - fertile little devil, ain't he...?? :-)

cq

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 3:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

love all your plants!! Michelle sent me

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 4:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I used to have an angel in my garden. Then my husband accidentally backed into with the trailer. Cut her off right at the knees. :o(

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 5:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, George is doing his thing, isn't he?? Very nice!!

I love the hens and chicks. I want to get some more of them. I have a few but during the winter some died out.

That beautiful orange plant is lovely!! So vibrant!

I LOVE the 2 frogs guarding everything!! I love stuff like that in gardens and I love frogs!

Another great post Naomi! You always have such a treat for us.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 8:22:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy monday, my dear! I was surprised to see a long weekend at Michele's too. I want you to know that I am closely watching my Opuntia get some flowers...I have only one pic so far , it seems like a very slow process. But it is fun to watch!

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Go, George, Go!
All the pics are lovely and interesting.
The tiny Hens and Chicks are amazing. I like the darkened ends too.
The fleshy, orange one is VERY cool looking!!

Froggie went acourtin' and he did ride, a-huh...
My Gramillo used to sing that song, and those frogs reminded me of that. :)

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

LOVE your new blog makeover!!!

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

George is such an amazing plant. Each flower looks a little bit different than the others. One of them looks almost like it's made out of straw. (I know I've said this about another plant's flowers too)
That peach colored succulent is absolutely beautiful! I can see why you like it so.
Is it raining there yet? I don't think we've gotten any here, but I hope we do!

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 2:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good morning, Naomi! Michele sent me back to say that.

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 4:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, I love George and other cactus flowers, and the photos are amazing! What a great view of the City! So cute the frog's couple, too. You are so lucky to be surround by beauty such as that!

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 7:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh rare Naomi!
I can't quite take you all in. You really are bigger-than-life---and I love that about you!

I have to leave plenty of time when I come to visit you...can't seem to get out of here once I check in. Oh, but it's such a pleasure.

You're an old and beautiful soul in a body not big or strong enough to contain you---but your love and wisdom spills out to refresh us all.
love,
lucyd

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 1:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello Naomi!

Lovely pictures as always!!! Hope you have a great week!

Here from Michele's today...

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 1:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos. Great garden. Very different from my Nordic one.

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 1:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Glad to see George is still doing his thing and doing it well.
Have a wonderful lunch tomorrow Aunty Em and yes do take pictures !

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 3:41:00 PM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

Cacti have to be some of the most interesting plants.

Thanks for sharing with those of us far removed from the dry climes.

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 4:13:00 PM PDT 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

Wow! This is most excellent! Great photos. Just wonderful.

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 8:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are making me a cactus fan. :) Michele sent me back over this time.

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 8:47:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.