Sunday, April 23, 2006

This beautiful plant is beginning it's huge burst of flowers. It looks like this Spring-Summer there will be maybe 1500 to 2000 flowers...the flowers I call, 'The Penis Flowers'....

Perhaps you remember this from about 6 weeks or so ago...when I posted a 'close-up' of one of these flowers..well, now, as we move into the last week of April, this is what is happening.... If you look at all the little nubs on these stalks, (and you cannot even see all the stalks, or all of the ALL of the stalks in this photograph) you will understand why I say there will be maybe 1500 to 2000 flowers...in all honesty I think it will be closer to 2500, before the flowering season is over on this 'Old Man Cactus'.

Glorious! Glorious! Glorious!!!

And I keep going back to George and the 'Once Upon A Time There Were Buttons...' because I am so fascinated with the time it takes for these flowers/fruit to grow and change. We have been following these incredible creatures now for two months....yes, two whole months and there is still a ways to go, for sure, but here....here is how they looked just a day or two ago.... Buttons, no longer...elongated something-or-others they are, but we can't call them buttons anymore.


The signs of Spring are everywhere in my garden---upstairs and downstairs---in the ground and in pots---wherever you look, you see the signs of new growth upon us.

And this little baby s-l-o-w-l-y growing as the weeks pass by....almost imperceptible growth, but none the less, growth...

And maybe my most favorite of all the signs of Spring in my garden, The Euphorbia Lambii Flowers that look like little 'bells'...so delicate and unusual and beautiful....

And this strange and amazing looking plant that has a lot of new 'baby's growing on it---in a pot on my patio...

And, across the street there is this succulant that grows kind of like a weed and produces these very magnificent flowers...talk about your 'bells'...WOW!

And everywhere that I have those Euphorbia Amak Verigated plants (and they are all over my garden--upstairs and downstairs)---they are flowering at this time...producing these very lovely delicate little yellow syrupy-like dears...




More to come as April turns into May which then turns into June, etc., etc.,etc........
















30 Comments:
had this to say:

Are you SURE you're Blogging from California? Some of those plants wouldn't look out of place on Mars! Or at least that's what they look like....

Cool pictures (as always).

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 6:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They are really so beautiful to see. You seem to like cactus a lot. Is it because they are easier to tend?

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 7:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a cool plant. I almost never see cacti around here, so it's neat to see these.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 8:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I took some pictures this week of the magnolia tree and the azelia bushes beginning to bloom. I should send them to you.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 9:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

so cool! I love seeing plants that we just don't have here. Love it!

Michele say's hi!

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 10:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think I need to clear some space on my walls. These are downright frame-able.

I could stare at them all day and still come up with new ways of looking at them. Are you SURE you've never done photography professionally?

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 10:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ahhhh...how sweet those plants are! You give new insight to cacti!! I have never had much luck with them (usually over watering. They are so lovely though. I love all the flowers. Those delicate bell looking blooms are so pretty! Seems they are perfect for the Calif. weather. Thanks for sharing these continued pictures. I love it!

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 12:16:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Nic
had this to say:

WOW! Love the pics. My dad was a nature photog and he loved taking pictures of the native cacti here in Texas.

Hi from Michele's.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 1:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Last call before bed to my darling Naomi :-)

Wonderful photos. I'm actually learning a lot, cos I didn't know cacti grew like that! :-)

cq
[YAWN]

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 1:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow. Those are very cool looking! I can't grow anything to save my life and you have all those beautiful flowers and cactus. Do you belong to a gardening club in your area? If not, you should!

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 1:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

fantastic close ups!

I never had much luck with cactus.. but you sure do!!


http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 1:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful time of year for your garden.
Now tell me do you talk to your plants, I am guessing yes lol.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 6:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful time of year for your garden.
Now tell me do you talk to your plants, I am guessing yes lol.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 6:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

what a bloom riot! I would love to see this up close

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 9:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are AWESOME pictures!!!!!! You have so much knowledge about them too. All i know is how gorgeous they are and how quickly i would kill them :( Here from Michele's tonight.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 9:49:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Again: great shots, Naomi!!!!! lucky us, we get to see them :)

Monday, April 24, 2006 at 5:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful!

Michele sent me.

Monday, April 24, 2006 at 5:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi! I'm here from Michele!

You must have a very nice garden up there in the hills! I never thought that cacti would have such interesting phases.

I reath further down and I'm really sorry that you can't go out as much as you would like to.

Monday, April 24, 2006 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can clearly see why you call them penis flowers.
Those little fellas are popping right out there!!
I love the delicate, green bells. That one is my favorite in this series of pics.
I caught a baby turtle on the road today. I suppose I rescued him from getting smashed. I will post pics some time soon. He is soooo cute!

Monday, April 24, 2006 at 4:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As always your cactus are incredible. I'd love to try my hand at some cactus this summer, and see how they do if I bring them in during the colder months. They really are splendid. And I can certainly understand the Penis name.

Monday, April 24, 2006 at 5:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Lady of the Hills.

It is nice to pass by your blog.

Thank you for dropping in from Michele's place.

Your comments are much appreciated.

I will be continuing with the true story from Africa where I grew up.

http://Bleedingbrain.blogspot.com

Monday, April 24, 2006 at 8:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love springtime for just that reason, all the new growth! Thanks for sharing your wonderful plants!

Monday, April 24, 2006 at 10:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gosh, I always love to come and see your pictures! Those plants are SO amazing, and you are capturing their growth in such incredible increments! If they were mine, I'd be scrapbooking them once the full cycle had been passed...just so beautiful!

Michele sent me - but love to visit anyway!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 at 1:00:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

I hate spring.

But it's the allergies. If I didn't have those, the blooming would be great!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 at 9:23:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Cactii are interesting plants, some plain, others colorful, some spikey and others hairy looking. Nature is bizarre and beautiful all at once. Great pictures.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 at 5:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing plants. Cactus family are one of my very favorite plants. Here in my yard the cactus are very resistant to the ants assault.
Well done pictures!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

With your beautiful collection, you should put up a flower shop specializing in cactus.

Happy day!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 at 6:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

beautiful !!!
thank you for sharing,

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 at 9:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the penis plant, but it reminds me more of Cousin It. Well, that & a bunch of penises.
I also like the little green flowers called Euphorbia Lambii Flowers, especially because they're all green. A very graceful flower.
Interesting, I never would've thought of cacti as graceful before.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 at 12:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always enjoy your cacti photos

Thursday, April 27, 2006 at 4:02:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.