Thursday, December 22, 2005

THURSDAY THIRTEEN

1. I can't believe it's Thursday again..how did that happen? It was just Thursday, last Thursday...I think it came around quicker than usual!

2. I reallly don't have very much to say cause I'm real real tired...too much going on, too little time, you know?

3. I did finish wrapping my presents, sort of...and now I'm trying to get my house ready for New Year's....and my 'Annual' gathering....a 'Tradition' I began about ...well....Let's just say, a v-e-r-y looooonnngggg time ago, back in 'The Dark Ages'....

4. It's a Dinner party and a Game party, too....And it's pretty much the same wonderful sweet friends each year, with the possability of one or two other people who happen to be 'in town'.

5. The game we play is "The White Elephant Game"....each person brings a wrapped-for-Christmas package with them, (they can bring more than one if they are trying to rid themselves of stuff they don't want, or that they think is soooo terrible, that everyone will want it...you know what I mean?)

6. Everything goes over in one place, (usually on the floor), in my Living Room...where, as people arrive, the pile of goodies gets bigger and more interesting with each new arrival!

7. We have lovely things to eat for starters....LOVELY....(Food is a very important part of this night)...Good Yummy Food...and the meal itself is served Buffet style because I don't have a Dining Room Table that seats 16!

8. We eat, we tell jokes as we eat, and generally share much frivloity, as well as getting up to date with everyone...there is a lovely comfort level because we've all know each other for a very long time.... most have worked with each other at one time or another, if not more than one time...and I tell you, once you've shared a dressing room with someone, you really know each other very very well, and pretty much have no secrets...

9. Desert is always a Highlight, cause being a Chocoholic I have to have an AWESOME something in that flavor, sometimes two awesome somethings.....there is always another fantastic desert...A Lemon Cake that is indescribable it's so damned good....and you know, if I say that, seeing as how if it's not chocolate, it's a vegetable to me...this Lemon Confection must be incredble....Well, it is.

10. Then, after coffee, tea, or whatever...we are ready to play 'The Game'. I supply the dice and we sit around in a circle and each person gets to roll the dice and if they get a 7 or an 11, they get to pick out a goodie from the now HUGE pile if presents and they must show it to everyone and keep it where it can be seen by everyone as there is a second part to this game after ALL the presents have been opened. They get to roll the dice again and again, because each time they come up with a 7 or an 11 they can open another present; same rules applying, as before.

11. Some people don't ever get to open a present because they don't get a 7 or an 11....well, it doesn't actually matter, cause that's not when those numbers really really count. So.....after everything has been opened, a timer is set because the group has agreed on how long the second part of the game will last....and then the further fun begins. Now, if you get a 7 or an 11, you get to take anything you want from anyone else in the game. (of course, they can take it back if they get a 7 or an 11...are you getting the fun part??) It's not really a terribly mean game because everyone has many chances to roll the dice as we go around in the circle, and so the chances of getting something you want are pretty evenly divided, but of course the chances of it being taken away are pretty evenly divided too....and the great fun of it is, is when there is something that everyone wants! (Over the years some things have returned to the game once again tempting everyone or repeling everyone...and that's fun, too)

12. There are often very very good things in this game; things that a lot of people want. And then, there are the awful crappy things that no one wants, but which are reason for lots and lots of laughter. Then, as we get closer to the 'time' running out, a fever pitch begins to happen and the dice go around the circle, faster and faster...and then, finally the game is over. (One of the rules of this game is, no one may leave anything they won here in my home...cause I have enough crap of my own!) And now, it's close to midnight...and Peach Champagne and Sparkling Apple Cider are served; We go out onto my deck that has this 180 degree view of the city, and as the clock creeps up to Midnight, we can hear Shouts and Booms and often we see beautiful Fireworks....and if it's a very clear night, like tonight, for instance, we see even more firworks, of course. Everyone hugs each other and kisses each other and wishes each other a Very Very Happy New Year....then we go back inside and usually the last of this lovely crowd of people leaves around 2am.

13. It makes for a very 'family like' New Years that everyone seems to look forward to each year and we all certainly enjoy the evening and each other, and our White Elephants or our Treasures!
Having eaten more than we all want, having enjoyed every morsel, each of us is ready to begin the new year, having spent the Eve of it with a loving group of friends and relatives....I'll try to take pictures this year, if I can get my Digital Camera to download them again. A new problem every time you turn around when there are all these toys to play with...but such fun!







31 Comments:
had this to say:

That sounds like so much fun. I wish I could be there. I have some excellent things to unload. Here from Michele!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 2:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your party sounds like a BLAST! Last night, my husband and I were just shopping for white elephant gifts. We were laughing hysterically. What fun!

Michele sent me. Good Thursday morning from Wisconsin.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 3:40:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That sounds wonderful! I love the idea of your White Elephant game.

Wishing you a very merry Christmas and all the best in 2006!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 5:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hey, I want to come too! I could being a lot of stuff, don't you know?!

Seriously, it sounds great, especially the chocolate and the view from the deck. I hope all goes well this year, and I will be thinking about you and those dice!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 5:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It sounds like a fantastic time! Thanks for being so descriptive.

Hey, where's my invite? It must have gotten lost in the mail. Damn post office!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 5:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Now that sounds like the party to attend in the Hills!!! I love the game! That sounds like alot of fun! It's so nice that you have such a closeknit group of friends that you have this tradition....traditions are so nice and so much FUN!!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 5:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

YOU, not much to say, tired, ha, ha! You say more than I do even on one one of your bad days!LOL
My email showed that two comments for my Blog had been made, "EARLY", this morning and I knew it had to be you, who else do I know that stays up all night!LOL Sure enough it was you!
You have a fun Christmas planned! I love when a tradition is carried on through family and friends.
I don't think I am too keen on the White Elephant game though, I have too many White Elephants of my own that I can not pass on yet as they have been passed on down through my family.(Example) I have a bronze sculpted head that has been in our family for eons. It is a beautiful piece of work but just what does one do with a bronzed head. It has been all over this house, even used a time or two as a door stop. Now it resides in a dusty corner in the bathroom. I have accidently broken many beautiful antiquities over the years but this head lives on! I tried to pass it on to my daughter, early, but she says she will wait until she has to take it! Smart Girl. So I would come to your dinner,
but I would have to pass on the
White Heads, I mean the
White Elephants,LOL!
MERRY CHRISTMAS THERE IN THE HILLS!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 6:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, it sounds absolutely wonderful! I'd love to be there. Those white elephant gift things are so much fun aren't they! So you started this tradition back in the dark ages? Haha! I doubt that dear, no one is THAT old!! :)

It is hard to believe that this year is nearly over. Where does the time go?

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 7:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love games & White Elephant exchanges!

Merry Christmas!!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 7:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Michele sent me back, OOLOTHO. I asked when that last "O" appeared, so maybe you can tell me...lol

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 7:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love the white elephant idea! My friends and I kind of do the same idea of that to kick off the holiday season, but we buy gifts for under$20. I liike the white elephant idea better!
Merry Christmas, and best wishes for the New Year!
Here via Michele's

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 8:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Fun time!
Michele sent me.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 8:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm sorry I can't be there: it sounds like it would be an incrdibly warm, welcoming time.

You've given me lots of ideas for our own celebration!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 8:32:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sounds like a great party and an awesome game. :)

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 8:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Desset is ALWAYS a highlight (chocolate....mmmmm)

My 13 are up too :)

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 11:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love the idea of that game. I'm going to send CQ over here right now & ask if we can play it at the Crazies party on the 28th:-)

I've got loads of rubbish to get rid of, & can offload extra by sending the kids in with a pressie too. I don't know if anyone else wuld want it though:-)

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 1:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It's Thursday AGAIN?!

White elephant gift game and good food is all one needs for a great party! Oh, and some friends to share it all.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 1:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That sounds like a wonderful evening. We had a White Elephant exchange at a street party a couple of years ago.Hubby and I still have not used the chocolate body paint LOL

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 5:12:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi OOLotH,
Sounds like you are busy but just letting you know that Friendly Friday is still on tomorrow. Hope you can make it!

Yuletide greetings from Carol, conductor for the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 8:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

we've played white elephant! as for wrapping present *shivers* i finished at midnight last night!

here via michele!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 8:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That sounds like such a fun party. Any chance of you posting the lemon cake recipe?

Michele sent me.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 8:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

After years of working in the bar business I hate New Year's Eve, but I think your party could change my mind-it sounds like enormous fun.

Merry Christmas!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 9:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So this is a New Year's Party or a combo deal?
Either, have a good time.
Michele sent me but I'm going to remind you of the big band performance at my place, anyways. (Tomorrow that is)
Take care!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 11:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Being with friends like that can really reload the batteries.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 11:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hello from Michele by the way

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 11:22:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

HI! Michele sent me!

I hope you have a good holiday and a great new years eve! Sounds like you have alot of fun at your party!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 at 11:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Gosh this sounds like a blast! I'm so glad you'll be able to spend New Year's with your friends. I sure hope you can d/l your pics again by then.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 12:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hope you are lucky with the dice!

i havent gotten you above me at michele's yet, so i figured i would visit on my own, since i just like you.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 1:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That looks like a hiuge time commitment!

Thought I'd just say "Hi!" and thanks for the short reviews!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 6:09:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

As you know, we call it a Yankee Swap. We have a Christmas Eve dessert party with this game and others like TABOO. It won't be long now!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 8:12:00 PM PST 

Blogger Gel
had this to say:

Fun, friends, food, and creativity! I can hear the laughter and feel the love. Lovely tradition! :)

Sunday, January 1, 2006 at 3:29:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.